Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Detachable Windshield? (Read 190 times)
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Detachable Windshield?
05/19/14 at 10:48:18

My search turned up a lot of good advice for windshields for the savage/s40, but I'm looking for a detachable windshield.  I can find them for HDs, but I haven't been able to find one for the s40.  Are there any that are known to fit the S40?

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
curmudgeon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Detachable Windshield?
Reply #1 - 05/19/14 at 10:53:44

Good question. I'd like to know if anyone here has attempted that as well.

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #2 - 05/19/14 at 12:52:54

Detachable like in "loosen 4 hex nuts and take it off in less than a minute or two"?  If so, there are plenty of "universal" windshields that will fit the bill, I am sure. I have one myself, noname, problably a German aftermarket thing (bike was imported).

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 05/19/14 at 15:27:23

I've got a Memphis Slim on mine, and it takes 4 hex nuts to remove/adjust it...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 05/19/14 at 17:42:24

I had National Cycle screens:
http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/Flyscreen.shtml
http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/StreetShield.shtml

Used no screen for city, short freeway
Flyscreen for longer freeway runs
Street Shield for winter / touring.

Only took a few minutes to dismount/remount either.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 05/19/14 at 18:06:27

I like my Spitfire S-06. Less than $100. I never take it off, but it's easy. I think it also comes tinted,

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #6 - 05/19/14 at 18:28:10

I believe I have a spitfire as well. My Memphis shade takes two Allen head screws to take off. So as long as you have that Allen wrench it takes all of 30 seconds to disconnect.

YS

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #7 - 05/20/14 at 05:48:54

Thanks for all the options.  I think I may try that flyscreen first, and see if that does the trick for highway runs.  I don't plan to do any winter/touring.  Maybe one day.

Meanwhile, a screen small enough to fit in my saddlebags seems desirable in a detachable, so I can pull it out and mount it at need.  That, and a half helmet with a snap on shield in the saddlebags ought to help me be prepared for various situations.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #8 - 05/22/14 at 19:18:45

Just got my fly shield.  The mounting hardware is more elaborate than I expected.  It mounts to the forks on my model.

When this one is quickly detached, is the mounting hardware detached from the forks or is the fly shield detached from the mounting hardware?  If the latter, does the street shield attach to the same mounting hardware?

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #9 - 05/25/14 at 09:58:27

I got my fly shield installed by the mechanic when he adjusted my highway pegs for me after I dropped the bike.

However, I feel like it's not doing what I want.  For example, I don't know for sure, but I feel like it made the wind in my face worse.  After it was installed and I got on the highway, I found myself thinking, "Wow, my lips are actually pressed flat against my teeth.  That's new."  Additionally, the wind noise seems worse.  Also, I was looking for an effect that the deflected stream of air would actually deflect projectiles, like insects and the small pebbles that fly out from beneath the tires of vehicles in front of me.  But I am still getting hit in the face.

I explained the above to an experienced rider that I played disc golf with on Saturday, and he suggested that I adjust the angle of the shield to be more straight up and down, instead of being angled in line with the forks.  What do you think?  Is that worth a try, or would I be wasting my time?  I'm kind of reluctant to adjust it to that angle because it seems to me that the metal piece would be repositioned to partially block the headlight, but I don't know for sure.

To get a better idea of the angle, turn the pic until the front of the headlight is straight up and down.

Fly_Shield.jpg

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 05/25/14 at 10:02:45

Sorry, but to me something that small isn't going to do much... heck it is hardly bigger than your headlight.

Adjusting any screen into a straight vertical will push the wind up higher, if the top is angled toward the driver the air flow will follow the angle.

I would say adjust it up higher and closer to the bars, then keep the angle of the flyscree about the same as you have it in the pic

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #11 - 05/25/14 at 13:22:56

Thanks for noticing the mounts weren't all the way up the forks. My husband and I adjusted them up as far as we could.  My mechanical genius husband also noticed we could adjust the mount upwards instead of forwards, so we gave that a try.  I'll test it out later today or tomorrow and report back.

Fly_Shield_Adj.jpg

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 05/25/14 at 13:52:09

I would lower the mounts down the fork do the Flyscreen is just over the headlight.  As you have it you will be getting wind under the flyscreen.  The purpose of the Flyscreen to lessen the wind on your torsal so the wind is not trying to shove you backward.

verslagen1, with our Savages with Flyscreens:

Also notice we both have fork braces.

WWW   IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #13 - 05/25/14 at 17:21:27

Thanks.

I tried it out in the new position and I'm still not satisfied.

To get a better idea what a windshield can do, I tried out my husbands 1100 shadow saber with its big windshield (20 inches tall at shortest point, 24 inches wide at widest point).  That windshield put the wind completely off my face so that I felt it on the top of my head and intermittently on the side of my head.  I'm only 5 foot 7 inches tall, so I'm hoping that I can accomplish that with a similar windshield on my S40.  I know I won't be able to carry it in my saddlebags, but I'd still like to have it for trips.

The tallest windshield I've found for the S40 is this one (19 inches tall at the shortest point, 18.75 inches wide at the widest point):

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N2220

Does anyone know if this one can be mounted and dismounted easily?

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #14 - 05/26/14 at 06:31:49

The 18 inch high Street Shield is half the price of the one I listed above, once you take into account the cost of the additional mounting hardware.  I wish I could get the street shield, especially since it now comes in a quick release version that requires no tools to mount and release, but National Cycle says it fits the Savage, but not the S40.   Does anyone know why that would be the case?  Has anyone been able to mount a quick release National Cycle Street Shield on an S40?

The quick release shield that National Cycle says is available for the S40 is the 14 inch high Deflector Screen.  But I think I'd prefer a taller windshield.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:28:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Detachable Windshield?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.