YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Lets me try this again
Reply #15 - 05/19/14 at 10:21:37

WD wrote on 05/19/14 at 08:24:53:
Too many negative reviews in the mainstream motorcycle magazines to have much of a following.  The only bike to get consistently worse press is the 250 Rebel.

I dunno......I remember the Buell Blast getting pretty crappy reviews.  That is another bike I think would be fun to buy, ride for a while and then pass it on.  The only downside is that you probably couldn't sell it once you were ready to let some else have fun with it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #16 - 05/19/14 at 17:00:39

Dave wrote on 05/19/14 at 03:33:34:
So why did you have to post this again?  Were you hoping for a more positive response this time?

Yep.......I hear what the others are saying.

It is a parts bike (probably good head, cylinder, starter, etc.), and you will most likely be able to part is out and get your money back.

Yep. I bought a basket case, the guy was asking 600, I got it for 300 and sold enough parts off it to make a couple hundred.  But with trips to Fed-Ex, packing time, hours in post office lines etc. it wasn't worth it after all. Won't do it again.

IP Logged
quentin99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/19/14 at 17:23:07

I paid 400 for my 1987. What is the parts list for the starter upgrade?

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #18 - 05/19/14 at 18:13:48

I just bought a non working (Gunked up carb )1999 with a supertrapp installed and stock muffler came with it  a couple of weeks ago  with 1400 miles on it and I  believe I paid too much ($1700 CAD) .Cleaned the gunk out of the tank and its not rusted through but the carb was full of gunk and the float needle was seized .

It took a few hours to clean the carb and a few for the tank. I managed to get the float needle removed and cleaned up need to test it when my new carb float comes. If it leaks at the float needle I will spend 60 bucks to get a new needle and needle seat

I have spent approx $250 so far on it (battery , carb float, raptor petcock , filters , oil)  other than that the bike is in pretty good shape and wasn't left outside and shouldn't need anything else (Knock on wood) and if my GF doesn't want it I should be able to get $2500 here in Canada where everything is overpriced going by the prices on kijiji.
so I am only 50 dollars over my original budget so far not including the hours i have spent on it. i will worry about the cam tensioner and oil plug issues if it gets a few 1000 more miles on it (why hasn't Suzuki fixed the cam issue is beyond me .)

You should expect to do some carb/tank cleaning and possibly replace some carb parts such as the float and or float needle along with the other things you will  replace that could be dry rotted or rusted.  If you like doing the work yourself then its prob worth it & if you tell him about the issues you will have to fix I assume he will come down in price.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #19 - 05/19/14 at 18:23:13

S-P wrote on 05/19/14 at 18:20:15:
quentin99 wrote on 05/19/14 at 17:23:07:
I paid 400 for my 1987. What is the parts list for the starter upgrade?

You need the "starter limiter gear" from a later model engine (can't remember the year they started putting them in, mid/late 90's I think), if you get it from a junkyard be SURE they take it out AS A UNIT not in parts, with all the spacing washers, and you will want the left side case cover otherwise you are looking at machining your existing case cover. You'll need to get a case cover gasket too. It's not too difficult to install, there's a couple tricks but I got everything I needed on this forum's tech links.  We have an AWESOME bike junkyard here in Phoenix, so if you don't have access to junk parts you're gonna be out a few bucks buying OEM stuff. I paid about 70.00 for the limiter and side cover here.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #20 - 05/19/14 at 18:30:47

Dave wrote on 05/19/14 at 10:21:37:
WD wrote on 05/19/14 at 08:24:53:
Too many negative reviews in the mainstream motorcycle magazines to have much of a following.  The only bike to get consistently worse press is the 250 Rebel.

I dunno......I remember the Buell Blast getting pretty crappy reviews.  That is another bike I think would be fun to buy, ride for a while and then pass it on.  The only downside is that you probably couldn't sell it once you were ready to let some else have fun with it.

Some guy in western Tn has ELEVEN Buell Blast used for rider training starting at $1500. Craigslist. Four colors all low mileage. 2005-2010s.  A good buy for Buell fans.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
quentin99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/19/14 at 18:38:43

I'll check and see. But I always have eBay. Surely their is a used part

IP Logged
william
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/19/14 at 21:27:41

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=ec25d8d3df&view=fimg&th=14615a92696b76
3b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ_NCcji1q5ABFiCtDux6WtDKAD0YK2fmgp4I
sWGtF9kvNPrCdE5cFXwK9P4Iay42v-bSfInDXDS5PC1AyvEFINiV8CXrIXxV9vxl55or_IlmM2P9Fs-C
0rNI5A&ats=1400559006963&rm=14615a92696b763b&zw&sz=w898-h485 86 $600 runs but on the fence about getting it still i have looked all over on Craigslist here in CA AND FOUND NOTHING FPR LESS THIN $1900.

IP Logged
william
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/19/14 at 21:29:00

That was supposed to be a pick didn't work.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #24 - 05/19/14 at 21:32:14

william wrote on 05/19/14 at 21:27:41:
on the fence about getting it still i have looked all over on Craigslist here in CA AND FOUND NOTHING FPR LESS THIN $1900.

I watched craigslist for 3-4 months before I found either one of my bikes. Patience grasshopper. If you buy the 86,  you may be 3-4 months fixing it until you can ride it anyway.  Wink

IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #25 - 05/19/14 at 21:45:38

Why does everybody say you need to upgrade the starter gear right away?  My bike had 12,500 miles and has never had a problem with the starter gear. While at some time I probably will upgrade it because I like tinkering, the bike for 25 years hasn't had a problem with the factory stuff.

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
william
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 86 savage
Reply #26 - 05/19/14 at 21:47:01

You are probably right, I think I will be patient, save some more money, and keep looking.

« Last Edit: 05/20/14 at 05:30:55 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 05/20/14 at 05:11:26

YoungSavage wrote on 05/19/14 at 21:45:38:
Why does everybody say you need to upgrade the starter gear right away?  My bike had 12,500 miles and has never had a problem with the starter gear. While at some time I probably will upgrade it because I like tinkering, the bike for 25 years hasn't had a problem with the factory stuff.

Well......because it only takes one incident where the engine kicks backwards to ruin the case.  There is no warning of when this might happen.......and I suppose some people like you do get along and never have the problem.

If you are going to do the upgrade....you might as well do it before it breaks something.  This one one time when "If it isn't broke....Fix it" does apply.

Dave

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 86 savage
Reply #28 - 05/20/14 at 09:39:21

william wrote on 05/19/14 at 21:47:01:
You are probably right, I think I will be patient, save some more money, and keep looking.

Location might have a big influence on pricing.  The California bikes might just be more expensive then in other places.....and I am not sure you can buy one from out of state and bring it back to California.

I know that if I look at bikes in the Cincinnati Craigslist....they seem to be listed pretty high.  If I look at the surrounding Columbus, Indianapolis, Louisville or Lexington the prices seem to be lower for the same year and condition.

A lot of folks don't know what their bikes are worth, and they just go to Craigslist and see what the others are asking to establish a price.  If you see one you like go ahead and contact them.....and start a dialog.  If the bike doesn't sell quickly they are likely to start lowering the price.  Don't lowball them in a way that might offend.....just let them know you are interested and would like to buy their bike.....but the price is just a bit more than you can spend.

Another option is for you to place a listing letting folks know you are interested....even in non-running project bikes.  If you find one that needs a little work....you might get a good deal.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 05/20/14 at 10:24:26

If you just throw out a low ball price, yes you'll offend most people.
If you present a nada or kbb price range then assess the bike and add up shop costs you'll appear to be fair.
Get the price of a carb clean, and a tune up from a local shop
Know the cost of tires with installation and battery and you'll be well armed to negotiate.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 23:55:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lets me try this again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.