Send Topic Print
Lets me try this again (Read 398 times)
william
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lets me try this again
05/18/14 at 20:50:15

I have read what to look for when buying a used savage the bike i found has been outside for the last 3 years or so it is a 86 the original tank was taken off because he said it had a small hole that rusted through e put another tank on from a different year he said it runs but there was a few vacuum lines that were different that he plug ed off the engine has some light oil build up on the backside of the engine buy the battery but it looks pretty clean considering he said he would take $600 for it says 9,950 miles it has all the original parts except the tank different year the belt looks good as do the tires the brake when you pull on it feels tight and barely moves in but i rolled it and when i pulled it stopped the chain guard looks good. i want to fix it up bit this is my first savage how big of a risk am i taking on this turning into a lot more thin i want to spin is the motor after setting that long OK its had a non op since 2012?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Lets me try this again
Reply #1 - 05/18/14 at 20:57:52

Id have to see the motor spin over & Id shoot some ether in the intake & see if it fires. Its okay if it wont start & run so you can ride it, just make sure it will fart & run a second on ether,that way you know that with the carb working & gas goin in, it WILL run,, If youre happy with the tank, okay, is it a Savage tank? Can ya post a pic or 2?
An 86 model? Dude,, thats OLD,, The starter will need an upgrade ( I think,, someone will pitch in there) I probably would pay the $600.00 IF it was running,, If I have to get it home & work on it? I just dont think 600 sounds that good.. BUT, dont just go on my opinion, wait & see what these other guys say,, they may tell me to shaddup,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
william
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/18/14 at 21:11:02

Thank you i will try and get it started this week he was supposed to charge the battery and also get a pick the color is a off red kind of a light faded red figured since that was the fist year it was made it would be worth restoring?or going all out changing the paint and up dating everything if the motor is good?

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 05/18/14 at 21:19:31

IF it looks good enough for you and you can take a manual and do your own work, and you enjoy tinkering, I'd offer $500. Like JOG says, make sure it will turn over and run a second or 2 on gas or ether. Tires are very important. Check the date to make sure they're less than 5 yrs old. Front brakes can be costly if you need a rotor and/or master cylinder. The belt is usually a non issue unless it is cut. A Raptor petcock on a Savage tank costs $25 and  eliminates the vacuum hose you refer to. Rock it back and forth while shifting up and down to make sure the shifting fork is ok. If it fires, you can get probably get out for $800 or so with the help of this forum. Otherwise, spend $12-1500on a good running 1990s bike. And bikes are higher this time of year.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
william
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/18/14 at 21:28:15

Thanks again that is a lot of good information i needed to no i am set on getting one one way or another i have had 3 other bikes all shaft drive  the savage looks fun and  appeals to me  I got to get one.Thanks again

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/18/14 at 21:34:22

Well,, he is ASKIN 600,, Id put 300 in my pocket & offer that, IF it sputters on ether,,youre gonna need that other 200 to get it fixed up good enough to play with it,,Tires go away FAST. The rear can Look pretty good, but it may not last 2 months,,& there goes $150.00 or so,,
I dont think that year model has the starter gears that will survive the motor turning backwards,,& they will turn backwards once in a while when ya shut them down,.,Wrangle with the guy, dont act like youre in love with it,, It would be a shame to see it go to the junk pile, Youre THINKING about trying to save it,, but youre not gonna get in over your head..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 05/18/14 at 21:39:59

I wouldnt be put of by the fact that its an 86 model they came with the 4 speed gearbox that is pretty cool I dont think they need a 5 speed with the 4 speed you can cruise around town in 3rd and hardly ever have to change gears my one is an 86 4 speed it doesnt have the starter gear mod and he cases have broken once a previous owner has been in there and repaired the cracked cases with metal epoxy its not ideal but seems to be doing the job so if you get it for the right price and you are happy with it dont let the age put you off you guys are pretty spoiled for choice though seems like savages are very cheap so you could just wait for a newer one to turn up if you think this one is too old for sure if it's been sitting outside for 3 years id factor a new pair of tyres into the cost as well you can't be sure the old tyres will be safe to ride on but thats up to you if the engine turns over on the starter thats a good sign at least its not seized you could take a battery with you and see if you can start it up before you buy it and lastli it doesn't seem like much of a financial risk at $600 if you dont like it part it out or move it on or throw it away.
my2c ymmv imo etc

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/18/14 at 22:11:59

If you like to piddle around the shop, and tinker... the bike may be salvageable... ... but,.. I would would add up the essentials...
you'll need tires and tubes, 5spd starter gear, Versy camchain adjuster, battery, Raptor petcock, fuel tank repair or replace,...
..and that assumes the bike is basically sound...
You'll also need to rebuild the carb, oil and filter, air filter.... maybe fork oil change...
That's around an additional $500 if you do the work yourself...

Any Savage will need a Versy adjuster and a Raptor to be reliable beyond 10k miles anyway...
... but,.. you can buy a 5spd low mile Savage for $1200 to $1500...

Unless you like working on bikes as much as riding them... I'd pass...
Consider it a parts bike...

This all assumes you are in the US,.. where Savages are a dime a dozen...
Grin...

I've bought a few non-running Savages to fix and resell... I'd pass on that one...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 05/18/14 at 22:12:38

Do you have access to a decent bike junkyard? Minimum you'll need a starter gear and the left side case cover. I paid 65.00 at a junkyard here for them. At 9K+ plan on the cam chain tensioner mod. There's another couple hundred with parts, gaskets etc. if you do it yourself. Chances are you'll need the plug cap leak fixed if not now, soon.  At a shop that's about 300.00 to have done. So, how handy are you with tools, a manual and a lot of support from a discussion forum?

IP Logged
william
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/18/14 at 22:24:04

He did turn it over it turned over for about 7 0r 8 seconds but then the battery went dead also it has a push button switch or a toga switch put on it  because the one on the bars don't work so they buy passed it so it turns over with the key off or on i  t also inst there some cheap master-cylinders out there that are aftermarket that are nice.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/18/14 at 22:55:39

I spelled it out,

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 05/18/14 at 23:45:06

and i didnt use any punctuation

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/19/14 at 03:33:34

So why did you have to post this again?  Were you hoping for a more positive response this time?

Yep.......I hear what the others are saying.

It is a parts bike (probably good head, cylinder, starter, etc.), and you will most likely be able to part is out and get your money back.

- or -

If you like doing "rescue work" it is a project that will provide you with a lot of hours in the garage tinkering and figuring out how to diagnose, tear apart, and fix stuff.  If will be most of the summer before you get it reliable and trustworthy.....and you will have invensted enough money to have been able to buy a bike twice as nice.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 05/19/14 at 08:24:53

A non-op 86 is worth, at most, $300 as a parts roach or a project. Even having the "option" of a non-op status screams California, the land of emissions control nonsense to deal with. Cali bikes have more parts and less power, at the crankshaft and at the rear wheel. A 49 state legal bike has just enough power to almost get out of its own way if it is dialed in and everything is working perfectly...

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the bikes. I do have 2 of them right now, with plans to add 5 more to the stable. A different build style for every day of the week, starting out from nearly free beaters or low cost daily rider grade bikes. But I'm in no hurry to do so, and wouldn't touch one that has been left for dead.

Savages have ZERO collector value in the USA.

Too many negative reviews in the mainstream motorcycle magazines to have much of a following. Slow, little, slow, underpowered for their displacement, slow, bad brakes, slow, weak electrical system, slow, terrible seat, slow, bad suspension, slow, single cylinder, slow, oddball rear tire and battery sizes, slow, terrible ergonomics, slow... Yeah, the magazines really go on about how slow these bikes are. The only bike to get consistently worse press is the 250 Rebel, which couldn't get out of its own way if you strapped a rocket to it.  Grin

If you can get it for $300, go for it. You'll probably be in it a couple grand when it is all said and done, but if you like to tinker with bikes, money well spent.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 05/19/14 at 08:45:01

IOW, the guy is ASKING 600,, hoping someone will pay it. You really need to get into it a lot cheaper than that to not get to the finish line with too much $$$ in it. You can spend a little more than 600 & get a bike that needs a lot less love to get it on the road. TRust me, all the stuff you see that needs done Is NOT all that needs done,, it never is,.& stuff doesnt sit outside for years & not develop "needs",, The seat may look fine today, but sitting in the weather for 3 years HAS affected it & it will wear at an accelerated rate now. Rubber parts that look okay now have had some of the plasticizers cooked out, theyre almost 30 years old, no one has taken time to clean & keep them alive.
An 86 with so few miles isnt anything but documented neglect. I use fuser oil ( 100% silicone oil) from old copier machines on dashes & interior trim panels & motorcycle rubber & plastic. Thats the part of Armor All that is supposed to protect your car parts, the silicone. Sadly, Armor All is loaded with CFCs that evaporate & leave plastics dry & ready to crack,,I wont use that stuff,, once its been put on & its starts off looking all great, then the stuff evaporates & now the dash looks dry as a bone, demanding another dose of $$ & labor.. But, go to a copier repair place & ask if they have any fuser oil, any kind will do. I pay $5.00 a pint. A pint lasts me a coupla years, Just a few drops on a piece of Tee shirt cloth pulled tight on a fingertip spreads out nicely,
I always do the plastic & rubber stuff before I wash & wax. You know how wax messes up the color of black rubber & plastic,, but it wont stick if ya rub some silicone oil on first,,makes a detail job look great,

OHH,, better hurry & get a few pints, new copiers dont use fuser oil. Lots of places have tossed their old stock out, & 100% silicone oil costs well over $100.00 a gallon.

They guuy is either unaware of what the bike is actually worth or is hoping someone thinks 600 is a good deal.. it isnt.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 21:26:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lets me try this again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.