Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What would boring out my cylinder cost? (Read 92 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What would boring out my cylinder cost?
05/18/14 at 13:24:34

I've wanted to get the big bore kit available for our bike but it's far too expensive for me.   I was reading through some posts and saw the mentioning of resleeving or cylinders.   I was curious what it would take to big bore my cylinder and make it so I can use a 95 or 96mm piston,  and if I'd simply just have to get the cylinder sized right along with the proper chemical coating (or have it sleeved)  and then just get the proper sized piston.   I've been told that boring would need to be done to the crank case too,  but I've never heard of anything about that in regards to the Wiseco big bore kits you can buy.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What would boring out my cylinder cost?
Reply #1 - 05/18/14 at 13:50:59

Boring runs about $ 80 I believe.....but you just don't want to drop it off anywhere.  You only get one chance to get the clearances right, and you need to take it to someone that does this everyday......not to a shop that has the equipment and doesn't use it often.  The shop will need the new piston when you take it to get it bored.....they need to fit the cylinder to the new piston.

You don't have to have the silicone carbide treatment....but it does make the cylinder more durable.

You don't need to bore the case, and you don't need anything sleeved as they just bore the existing liner to have a larger hole.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #2 - 05/18/14 at 13:56:48

Dave wrote on 05/18/14 at 13:50:59:
Boring runs about $ 80 I believe.....

Heck, I'm boring for free, just ask my wife.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/18/14 at 14:20:45

I saw on bore-tech.com that I could get my cylinder 'Bore,  hone,  and carbide bore process'  for $165.  I've seen the Wiseco pistons and others go for around $150.  So I could do my own kit really just by sending in the piston to them and have the whole big bore process done for $315 (+S&H)  if I wanted top of the line,  but it is possible to get the boring and other work done for about $80 you say?

Would this just be a plug right up once it's done mod or would I have to do things to the crankcase or the cylinder head?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/18/14 at 16:42:56

If you were at the Bore Tech site......You would have seen that they charge $ 65 to bore a cylinder.

You don't need to do anything to the engine case or head, and before you ask......it works with any of the available cams.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/18/14 at 17:51:24

So would doing this along with having it treated with silicon carbide and increasing the piston size to a 95-97mm be pretty much exactly the same thing as if I  was to just buy the big bore kit offered by Lancer?

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/19/14 at 13:55:12

Just spoke with a number of places about getting my cylinder bored,  honed,  and coating treatment.   Most places quoted rather around 80 for the boring and honing,  but when I brought up the coating it skyrocketed to over 300, EXCEPT at bore-tech where they quoted me 200 for everything,  but the turn around time is currently almost a month...  So looks like this could be done for 200 plus the 150 for the piston and S&H.  So roughly 400 max.  I spoke with the guy from LA Sleeves and he said the coating wasn't really necessary which makes me wonder if I could hey away with just boring and honing the cylinder.   That would make this project run about 250...   What should I do....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/19/14 at 14:23:45

most shops will send it out for nikaseal, so naturally they're gonna mark it up for their hassle factor.

If you don't ever want to do this again, boretech and I'd do it direct.
Buy a used cylinder and getrdone.

if you're not going with a max bore out, and high performance everything... maybe not.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 05/19/14 at 14:33:23

Unless yer' rings are shot or somethin'.. I'd just leave it alone and ride...

Nothing you do to this engine is going to make it a smokin' hot firebreather...
If you want that,.. you bought the wrong bike...

If you ride it enough to wear it out,.. and it needs a rebuild,.. then, you might as well bore it out, just to make it worthwhile...

Otherwise leave it,.. and ride it..  a couple of HP ain't gonna' change your life...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 05/20/14 at 04:28:48

Depending on your location, don't forget to figure in about $70-80 in shipping costs to/from BoreTech, for example.
The last set I sent in to have done cost me $72 for shipping round trip.  I just checked the receipts.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 21:17:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What would boring out my cylinder cost?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.