Send Topic Print
600 mile break in (Read 91 times)
D
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

600 mile break in
05/17/14 at 13:15:40

Other than changing oil and oil filter. Is there anything else I should be doing. I will also be checking bolts, the belt and such.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 600 mile break in
Reply #1 - 05/17/14 at 15:02:49

Noop...  just oil n' filter... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/18/14 at 02:08:34

Mite as well drain the "puke" line that hangs down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 12/02/14 at 22:51:51

Should the valves be adjusted at 600 miles?

Kenny G

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 12/02/14 at 23:23:50

The handbook says to check them. It also says to check (tighten) the head bolts exhaust pipe bolts and muffler connection bolt

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/03/14 at 03:26:54

Don't mess with torquing the cylinder head bolts/nuts.  They never seem to loosen up, and it requires removing the head cover to get access to some of the head studs.

You can do the valve clearance if you want.  Just be aware that if you have to move the adjustment screws more than a tiny bit......you most likely are doing it wrong.  It is not uncommon for a first time valve adjustment done by a new mechanic - to be done when the engine is at the wrong TDC and they end up loosening all the valves a bunch to get clearance.....when there shouldn't be any clearance (valve overlap).  There are 2 times the piston comes to the top of the cylinder, and one of those times the cam is holding both the exhaust and intake valves open a tiny bit - and at the other one the cam is not touching the rockers and the  exhaust and intake valves are closed.....you should be able to lightly move the rockers arms and feel some clearance on both the intake and exhaust side even before you make any adjustments.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #6 - 12/03/14 at 07:28:28

Dave,

Thank you. My S40 is a leftover 2013 model

As I now understand it I should change the oil and filter and check the bolts and nuts on the exhaust system at 600 miles.

If I drill the muffler, or put a on Dyna muffler the standard jetting should probably be OK. When I get to it I should change the white spacer in the carburetor.

Stay away from the dealer unless I am certain there will be a warranty issue?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/03/14 at 07:42:23

On my bike when I got it, and on several I had ridden when looking to buy my first bike....there was a noticeable hesitation or uneven acceleration just as you began to open the throttle.  When I would go from a closed position the bike would hesitate or kind of stumble for the first 1/8th turn of the throttle grip.....if you opened the throttle a lot it would run fine.  The white spacer mod should be done it you feel this situation.

When I did rejet my bike - I found that a #50 pilot and #150 main were the ticket......and using only 2 washers on the needle instead of the standard 3.  I still had the hesitation just off idle with the 3 washers, and going to larger pilot or main jets did not cure that.....removing one washer on the needle solved the problem.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:29:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 600 mile break in

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.