Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thunder Products Hotwires,  best spark plugs? (Read 78 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thunder Products Hotwires,  best spark plugs?
05/17/14 at 11:35:21

I just got myself a new Mikuni VM36-4 carb with the UFO, dial-a-jet, and the Quad Flow Torque Wing.   I felt as I was already getting these things I might as well add the Hotwires and Index Washers for my spark plug as this all ties into more efficient,  complete combustion and airflow.   Anyways,  I'm not sure what kind of spark plug to go with.   I was quite interested in the e3 36 Diamond Laser plug,  but saw some comments saying though it was good,  Iridium is the best way to go.   Lots seem to suggest the NGK DPR8EIX-9 Iridium IX plugs.   Any comments on the best plug I can get?  

Another thing I was curious about is that on the Thunder Products website,  they say the Hotwires work best with a non-resistor plug,  but I've read some things saying how that can screw with your bikes electronics,  and shouldn't be used on bikes with an electric start,  but that seems a bit overkill.   Is this true?   I want to get a bluetooth headset for my helmet and want to make sure there is no disruption there.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Thunder Products Hotwires,  best spark plugs?
Reply #1 - 05/17/14 at 11:48:39

I'd use a resistor plug for sure...
Iridium plugs are all the rage...

All these things are more fad than science... I doubt you'll see a lick of difference from anything but the carb change...
That one's debatable, depending on how good you are at tuning...

Best luck though...
I wish we could see a before/after dyno of all the things other than the carb change... but that one will alter the results...
You might consider a before/after dyno anyway...
I like to see the results... and it will help you with jetting...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/17/14 at 12:14:50

Serowbot wrote on 05/17/14 at 11:48:39:
I'd use a resistor plug for sure...
Iridium plugs are all the rage...

All these things are more fad than science... I doubt you'll see a lick of difference from anything but the carb change...
That one's debatable, depending on how good you are at tuning...

Best luck though...
I wish we could see a before/after dyno of all the things other than the carb change... but that one will alter the results...
You might consider a before/after dyno anyway...
I like to see the results... and it will help you with jetting...

What could one expect to pay to have your bike professionally jetted and dyno tested?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/17/14 at 12:56:38

I suppose it depends on location.., but, dyno pulls are $25 to $50...
Tuning time is hourly shop rates,... usually $60 to $85 per hr...

I'd look for around $100... depending on how many adjustments they make...
I have no idea how much UFO and Dial-a-jet adds to the complication of jetting... or whether it would be better to have them jet the carb first, before adding them...
Perhaps they could advise you...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 05/18/14 at 01:59:27

Dial a jets get taken off our bikes by most people.  They get the main jet and pilot jet right then find that the Dial a jet just adds a level of "fiddle" that they really just plain don't need any more.

If you haven't bought it yet, don't.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/18/14 at 08:19:10

Have you figured out what coil you are going to switch to? The factory Suzuki coil has the plug lead built in... you can't change just the wire, it is a one shot wonder, replace the whole unit type deal, and it is not cheap. Well, it IS cheap, just not inexpensive. Unlike the older automotive world, matching the coil specs on a motorcycle is critical, it isn't a "grab any 12v coil and go" (taking internal or external ballast resistor into account of course, since 12 volt canister coils are actually 6v in reality ). Get the wrong late model motorcycle coil and you WILL fry (at minimum) the black box.

Best spark plug? Cheapest you can find in the heat range dictated by your riding style. My 98 shipped with an NGK DPR8EA-9, with the super fat jetting ran an NGK DPR5EA-9. Anything cooler fouled out in a week to a month. No idea what is in the 03, haven't looked, but with only 8300 and change on the odometer, probably a stock plug.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/18/14 at 08:39:38

WD wrote on 05/18/14 at 08:19:10:
Have you figured out what coil you are going to switch to? The factory Suzuki coil has the plug lead built in... you can't change just the wire, it is a one shot wonder, replace the whole unit type deal, and it is not cheap. Well, it IS cheap, just not inexpensive. Unlike the older automotive world, matching the coil specs on a motorcycle is critical, it isn't a "grab any 12v coil and go" (taking internal or external ballast resistor into account of course, since 12 volt canister coils are actually 6v in reality ). Get the wrong late model motorcycle coil and you WILL fry (at minimum) the black box.

Best spark plug? Cheapest you can find in the heat range dictated by your riding style. My 98 shipped with an NGK DPR8EA-9, with the super fat jetting ran an NGK DPR5EA-9. Anything cooler fouled out in a week to a month. No idea what is in the 03, haven't looked, but with only 8300 and change on the odometer, probably a stock plug.

Yes I'm going to use the Hotwires that Thunder Products makes.   They have a grounding cable and are supposed to be much better than our Stocks.   I tried linking the site but my phone isn't always cooperative...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/18/14 at 08:53:33

I don't think you understand what WD just said...
The stock plug wire is permanently molded into the coil... you can't take it off...
You have nothing to connect a Hotwire to...
...and an aftermarket coil may fry your electrics...
All this,.... for an imaginary gain... a Hotwire won't add any power... any more than taping a magnet or a crystal to your fuel line...
It's Voodoo science... Grin...

Save your money on that one...
The same goes for a fancy spark plug,... and the $100  Torque wing insert...

The carb will make some difference... if you want more, get a mild cam...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 05/18/14 at 09:11:43

Thanks Bot.

Get your new carb dialed in, do a chain conversion to make your gearing more friendly for how you ride, call it good.

Throwing "high tech trickery" at a Savage is a huge waste of time and money. Do the mods that actually have some tangible benefit. The Savage/S40 as shipped is a miserable excuse for a motorcycle, it needs carb work, gearing work, suspension work, better tires and a brake pad/shoe upgrade right off the showroom floor. Spend money on those, and it will definitely rewards your efforts.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:22:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thunder Products Hotwires,  best spark plugs?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.