Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anybody That Wants To Teach Me How To Work On This (Read 73 times)
Rich Brunelle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Anybody That Wants To Teach Me How To Work On This
05/17/14 at 11:30:33

I have a 1996 LS650 Savage that I love to death, but I do not know how to work on her myself. Presently, my speedo cable either broke or somehow became disconnected under the tank and I believe I need some serious valve adjustment. I only have a rough collection of tools, and no manual so I am hesitant to just jump in with both feet and mess up my baby. So, if there is anyone in the SF Bay Area that knows these critters that would like to come to San Leandro, hang out a bit, and coach me on fixing my bike . . . 510-940-5962.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Anybody That Wants To Teach Me How To Work On
Reply #1 - 05/17/14 at 12:40:43

Sometimes the speedo cable does not properly set in the hole. Unscrew it, check to make sure the inner cable is present(sometimes it falls out unnoticed when the tank is removed).

Then, insert the male end of the cable in to the female section and make sure it penetrates about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. Properly inserted, it wont rotate.  Then tighten the cable housing down.

If your cable is missing, and you took your tank off, check for it on the garage floor. It's about a yard long, and it's "garage floor grey" colored.

Why do you think you need a valve adjustment - are you hearing loud, noticeable  valve clacking at speed?

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Anybody That Wants To Teach Me How To Work On
Reply #2 - 05/17/14 at 23:42:15

How many miles on it? The cam chain can cause immediate death to the motor. If you havent seen the cam chain & its got close to 15,000 miles on it, you need to be looking in there. The cam chain can get noisy,, & if its noisy, its sitting on the edge of disaster. Some have been known to crap out a few thousand miles less than 15.
Not having the tools is no biggee,, the cost of tools is MUCH less than the cost of paying someone else to take care of it AND youll know how the job is done. I am forever finding little odds & ends that need attention while Im doing something that needs done. If youre paying someone to do the valves, thats what theyre gonna DO,, Theyre not gonna look for the little details that an owner will..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 02:59:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anybody That Wants To Teach Me How To Work On This

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.