Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Probably saying bye to my Suzuki (Read 331 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Probably saying bye to my Suzuki
Reply #15 - 06/16/14 at 04:21:09

Don't rush it, make sure your ready before throwing a leg over again.  Speedy recovery man...

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #16 - 06/16/14 at 15:12:19

Vive la différence!

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #17 - 06/17/14 at 11:54:09

ToesNose wrote on 06/16/14 at 04:21:09:
Don't rush it, make sure your ready before throwing a leg over again.  Speedy recovery man...

Definitely taking my time.  If I get to ride this weekend it'll literally be around the block (in my neighborhood/trailer park), stuck in first gear and puttering along slowly.  Just enough to say I rode, and enough to give me some feedback on the recovery thus far.  I expect "normal" won't come until somewhere in mid-July which would be about 9 - 10 weeks after breaking the bone.

Thanks for the good thoughts and words of caution.  I definitely don't want to put myself in trouble.

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #18 - 08/01/14 at 10:18:55

terpfan1980 wrote on 06/17/14 at 11:54:09:
ToesNose wrote on 06/16/14 at 04:21:09:

Definitely taking my time.  If I get to ride this weekend it'll literally be around the block (in my neighborhood/trailer park), stuck in first gear and puttering along slowly.  Just enough to say I rode, and enough to give me some feedback on the recovery thus far.  I expect "normal" won't come until somewhere in mid-July which would be about 9 - 10 weeks after breaking the bone.

Thanks for the good thoughts and words of caution.  I definitely don't want to put myself in trouble.

Back to update just a bit... slower than I had hoped, but then again not too far off my original comments in the quote directly above.

I threw a leg over back on the 19th of July, having "sat on" and tested my own comfort factor a bit in the weeks prior to see how the arm/shoulder would handle any attempt at riding.  Since then I've been slowly but surely working back up on the riding and actually did ride into work just a few days ago.

The riding motion and control is effortless really, at least when it comes to the shoulder/arm injury.  When I'm holding the handlebar the arm is weightless and there's no pain at all.  If I were to drop my arm off the handlebar and go to reach back up to put it back in place it is a bit of an effort, but not at all that tough.  (Basically I tend to lunge my upper torso ahead a bit as I reach out with the arm.)

Riding has the added advantage in that the vibration tends to loosen up my joints -- including a bad back and the arm/shoulder joint and in effect give me a free massage as I ride.

I'm still disappointed that I cost myself 2+ months of riding time, but glad that I should still get plenty of riding time in the next several months (in my area weather is usually OK for riding until into December, as long as I don't mind the cooler temps).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:32:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Probably saying bye to my Suzuki

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.