Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
contact lenses vs glasses (Read 104 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
contact lenses vs glasses
05/16/14 at 17:25:16

I decided when it was time for new glasses  1.5 months ago
that I wanted to try contacts.
OMG, to be able to see so well without the frames surrounding
my eyes is amazing.
I love riding Genie and not having to worry about glasses fogging up.
I still have to have readers for small print as the stigmatism I have
keeps me from wearing the multi lenses.
That is ok with me as I have the freedom once again most of the time
from the frames.Now learning how to put them in and take them out, took some practice.
So if your one that wears glasses and have contemplated on how it would be to ride the bike and wear them, it feels great.
No more do I have to try and squeeze the frames between my helmet and side of my head.
I enjoy having the choice of whether to wear glasses or contacts..
OH and yeah if your wondering, I have lost one already, it was one
of the trial ones and had just picked up my prescription ones so it was
ok..
Oh mine are the soft ones and no I can't wear them 24hrs nor sleep in them. Mine can be worn for 12 hrs at a time.  Smiley

IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Re: contact lenses vs glasses
Reply #1 - 05/16/14 at 18:33:57

I wear two week disposables, keep them in 24/7 then chuck and replace, been wearing them for 17 years or so. I have to ride full face shield to keep them from flying out of my eyes, spare money might get me a more open helmet and some goggles to try that out. Couldn't stand wearing sunglasses in a full face helmet so i have a dark visor and carry a clear one for night and spare lenses in my bags just in case.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 05/16/14 at 20:30:01

Can't wear contacts.... eyes are so burning I think they are about to bleed~

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 05/16/14 at 22:45:41

Told my opthalmologist 'no one touches my eyes!'. He said, 'wake up and smell the coffee, I'm trying to save your vision'.
agreed to laser operation this year, cataract surgery next year. growing old sucks, but better than not! Cheesy

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 05/17/14 at 05:04:21

I wore contacts for a while. My right eye is dominant, so I wore the prescription for distance in the right and the prescription for reading in the left. Worked out OK after I got used to them.
Then I developed cataracts in both eyes. My big mistake was watching the surgery on YouTube, where they put the lance in your eye. Scared me to death, but I had them done anyway. Best thing since sliced bread. I took the kids on a field trip to the AGO and the colours blew me away. I had been on the same trip a few months before, and was gobsmacked the second time. It was like seeing the paintings for the first time.
Unfortunately I still have to wear glasses because I have a turn in my right eye and need prisms to correct it. OHIP will not pay for the surgery because it can be corrected with glasses. If I had the money, I would have it done anyway so I could be glasses free.
The upside is I can survive without my glasses if I have to.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/17/14 at 07:13:17

Glasses.

I've threatened more than one eye doctor with punishments worse than death if they so much as attempt to use eye drops, bright lights or that pressure test air puff. Got tired of being completely incapacitated for the following 36-72 hours. The last time that one did all three, I was bedridden for almost 6 days with a monster migraine that nothing would touch but time.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/17/14 at 08:20:49

I wore contacts for a few months. Probably close to a year,, Gotta admit, I looked better, the world looked better. I just never was able to get over that "Theres something in my eye" sensation. BUt that wasnt the real disqualifier. After years ( since 5th grade) of wearing glasses I have learned to USE my glasses as eye shields. Most people look away when dirt falls from the underside of the car. I look straight at it. Dirt bounces off the glasses. Sure, gotta clean them up, but when ya look away, dirt can go behind them.,& I Could Not unlearn that. I got dirt in my face & eyes all the time,, so, I went back to lenses.. Man, if you can wear contacts, theyre just BETTER,, they dont deteriorate, get scratches, frames dont get bent, they dont slide down the nose, contacts kick butt, BUT, theyre a PITA to take care of, I thot they were uncomfortable,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 05/17/14 at 09:17:41

I' porfekly hsppy wifh my hlasses. Don$t need now stopid centacks.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 05/17/14 at 12:52:27

I was -11 short sight from the age of about 9, at age 48 or 9 I had LASIK surgery and threw the glasses away. I had another lot in 2009. It was successful. At 64 I may have to go back to glasses one day The LASIK was some of the best money I have ever spent in my life and you never realise how much you hated spectacles until you get rid of them.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #9 - 05/17/14 at 19:26:09

I wear one day use disposables.  Every now and then I may leave them in over night, but not often.  I prefer contacts for riding though will occasionally do the glasses.  I just dislike how the glasses get pressed against my head by the helmet that I use (3/4 style).

Contacts - if I keep them fresh - are much easier for me to see with.  My eyes have actually improved with age and the glasses script that was not that great for me a few years back is much better now, though reading is getting worse and leads me to pull the glasses down on my nose so I can see clearer.

That all said, if I get up to the higher speed range I definitely get plenty of wind whipping through my helmet and irritating my eyes.  If not for the mouth breathing that I do, I would probably just switch to a full face helmet to help cut down on that.  If I do full face I wind up fogging it up too easily and then have to open the face shield anyway so I'm right back where I started :/

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/18/14 at 12:20:19

I, too discovered contacts a few years ago (read "mid-life crisis") and it was true revelantion - sharper vision, brighter colors, great looking stylish sunglasses. I even learned to SCUBA, and discovered an underwater paradise. Then, the problems started. First, I discovered that any chemicals on my fingertips got transferred to and contaminated the lenses. Minor stuff (that doesn't completely come off with normal hand washing) like deodorant, hair gel, Grecian formula, cooking oil, and WD-40 resulted in some form of irritation or infection. Next, my Dr. changed to AccuVue Oasys, and I discovered I was allergic to HydroGel (almost went blind with that one!) After a year, no permanent damage, so I tried again. I have been far more cautious this time, but so far so good. They come out now at the first sign of any irritation. Hope this info may help you avoid any problems.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 05/19/14 at 00:36:10

my wife loved her contacts, but kept getting infections, and the lenses somehow would slip 'behind' her eye, and we'd have to got to the eye doctor so she could get them out
I finaly told her look, you gotta take better care or quit wearing them, it's costing us money (lost time from work plus the cost of the eye doc) ever time you mess this up
she went back to glasses
recently she went back to contacts, because her glasses broke and the place she got them from refuses to fix them under warranty
I hope she takes better care now, contacts are great I guess but there are potential problems

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:25:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › contact lenses vs glasses

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.