Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stock savage with supertrapp questions (Read 82 times)
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Stock savage with supertrapp questions
05/15/14 at 19:18:46

Hi I recently bought a 99  non running savage , 7 or so years with fuel in the tank :'(  The only mod seems to be a supertrapp muffler installed opened up with no baffle plates on (they were unused). The carb has  stock jetting/air filter and a  I assume the bike ran like Crap when it was running with this setup as the muffler is blue and was likely running very lean the bike only has 1400 miles.

My questions are (at sea level)
1. How many plates to use on the supertrapp? From my reading I shouldn't use over 6 on stock jetting or should i be safe and start with 4 or 5 plates?
2. Should I still do the white spacer mod?
P.S. I removed the idle air plug and will be adjusting it once i get the carb cleaned up and ready.
3. If i want to open up the supertrapp exhaust by adding more plates or have it wide open (with stock air filter) in the future what jets should i install?

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Stock savage with supertrapp questions
Reply #1 - 05/15/14 at 20:28:24

It seems like the standard place to start with almost any muffler mod is a 50 or 52.5 and 150 or 152.5 with two spacers.  It sounds like from the forum discussions just about any combination of those will get you in a good ballpark and it's kind of up to you from that point how anal you want to get with tuning (unless you are in high altitude).

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/15/14 at 20:41:04

Quote:
shouldn't use over 6 on stock jetting

+ or - 2 for your area.

you're safer with less than more, but 6 is in the ball park.

WWW   IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #3 - 05/15/14 at 21:01:19

verslagen1 wrote on 05/15/14 at 20:41:04:
Quote:

+ or - 2 for your area.

Thanks verslagen1
I will start out with 5 spacers seeing as I would like to try and keep the stock jetting for now if possible and just want it to run decently. One last question should I do the spacer mod to make the bike run better with stock jetting or can i get by without the mod?  

Also S-P thanks for the reply, I am at sea level at my location i will keep your suggestions in mind if i plan to open up the pipe more and re jet.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #4 - 05/16/14 at 05:37:23

I ran 6 spacers on my Supertrapp without any need for rejetting the carb. You should be able to get by without doing the spacer mod with 5-6 disks.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/16/14 at 08:16:31

Someone spent the $$$ for a TRapp & then ran it w/o the plates? Ohh well,, some people are just goofy..

IF the TRapp has healthy threads left in it, get some disks, I ran 14 in mine, OR, peel that thing offa there & stick a Dyna on. Jetting an open pipe isnt real easy and thats not where the best power is, either..

& Ill never understand that

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #6 - 05/16/14 at 08:52:00

doh13 wrote on 05/15/14 at 21:01:19:
verslagen1 wrote on 05/15/14 at 20:41:04:
Quote:

+ or - 2 for your area.

Thanks verslagen1
I will start out with 5 spacers seeing as I would like to try and keep the stock jetting for now if possible and just want it to run decently. One last question should I do the spacer mod to make the bike run better with stock jetting or can i get by without the mod?  

Also S-P thanks for the reply, I am at sea level at my location i will keep your suggestions in mind if i plan to open up the pipe more and re jet.

Yer welcome. You pretty much have to remove the carb to do the spacer mod, so you may as well change the jets while you are in there. Lancer (on this forum) sells a kit for 25.00. I put a Dyna muffler on and did the carb mods and the bike runs SOOO much better. Worth every penny and bruised knuckle.   Cheesy

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #7 - 05/16/14 at 10:31:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/16/14 at 08:16:31:
Someone spent the $$$ for a TRapp & then ran it w/o the plates? Ohh well,, some people are just goofy..

IF the TRapp has healthy threads left in it, get some disks, I ran 14 in mine, OR, peel that thing offa there & stick a Dyna on. Jetting an open pipe isnt real easy and thats not where the best power is, either..

& Ill never understand that

The PO gave me the  the baffle and plates to the supertrapp but they  was still wrapped up in plastic and never used lol i guess they didnt understand jetting etc i just hope the pipe is installed correctly with no leaks.   I also have the carb apart & I cleaned it up and hopefully got all of the gummy old 7 year old gas out and am waiting on a float (the old fuel made many a pin hole (tried soldering but she was getting pretty heavy with solder and still not sealing the holes) I may order those jets later on since its not too big of a hassle to get the carb off to switch them. (compared to my marauder Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/16/14 at 10:37:57

S-P wrote on 05/16/14 at 08:52:00:
Worth every penny and bruised knuckle.   Cheesy

S-P

When folks say to "Hit the Starter Button"....it is just an expression.  You can gently push it with your thumb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #9 - 05/16/14 at 17:55:46

Dave wrote on 05/16/14 at 10:37:57:
S-P

When folks say to "Hit the Starter Button"....it is just an expression.  You can gently push it with your thumb.

Dang. Verlsagen hasn't sent me my "Savage lingo decoder ring" yet....  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:26:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock savage with supertrapp questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.