Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2008 Suzuki s40 Saddle Bags (Read 179 times)
JohnsonLager

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2008 Suzuki s40 Saddle Bags
05/15/14 at 16:26:51

I'm new to the site.  I'm looking to purchase and install saddlebags.  My bike is waiting for me and I'll only have a few days with it before taking it on a long trip so I wanted to get some suggestions to avoid unnecessary hassle.  I'm thinking about buying the brackets from seviersavage and am looking for suggestions on easy to install, affordable, highly functional saddle bags.  A few I've been looking at are cycle case, viking, saddlemen and zipoff.  I'd like to do some ammo cans or some old German military rucksacks, but feel I don't have the time to commit to those projects.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: 2008 Suzuki s40 Saddle Bags
Reply #1 - 05/15/14 at 18:40:09

I did a WWII backpack. I removed the arm slings and just did hose clamps onto the saddlebag frames through a couple of the D-rings. I'm thinking an ammo can on the other side since it hung onto the pipe.

saddlebag_pack2_001.jpg
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #2 - 05/15/14 at 21:11:21

My viking bags just arrived after about a week's delay in shipping.  Then I realized that the turn signal lights have to be moved to install them.  It turns out that they sell a kit for moving the lights, but it costs a lot more if you don't order it when you order the bags.  

Also, people online complain that viking sends you a generic set of hardware to mount the bags, and they have a lot of problems getting them mounted, included adding spacers or going to a hardware store and buying different brackets

If you are short on time, I suggest either adding a sissy bar and a bag that attaches to that, or else just wearing a backpack.  Adding saddlebags is going to take some time and effort.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 05/15/14 at 21:55:50

I used these last year for my travel from the panhandle of florida to north Carolina

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cortech-Super-2-0-36-Liter-Saddlebags-Motorcycle-Lugg...

All you have to do is remove your back seat and throw them over the fender and replace the back seat... also would help if you have the saddle braces... I did not remove the turn signals.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/15/14 at 23:38:22

Small nylon European police bike style bags, no inner supports, they do not rub the wheel or muffler...

I did relocate the turn signals to the back of the license plate.

Old time versus modern... the orange and cream bike is running full sized Indian Chief (47-53) style bags from Wilie and Max, spaced out via 3" thick mahogany "fender struts" and 2" offset 1970s generic bag stand off pipes....

Wish I still had a picture of Max Morley's Savage, with HD touring bags (fiberglass) Tour Pac and full fairing... loooked like a scaled down KZ900/1000P. You can make anything work once the rear signal mess is figured out.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
JohnsonLager

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/19/14 at 17:14:05

S-P, that looks great.  Would you be willing to take a better picture of how you attached that military bag.  Did you put anything in the bag to make the back of the bag stiff?

IP Logged
running-it-stock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/21/14 at 23:04:16

Here is a pic of the river road leather bags which are the biggest bags that will fit. This is from a trip to Yosemite 2 years ago. I changed them to Shoei hard cases last year. The Shoei weigh more but are more durable than the river road.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 14:03:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2008 Suzuki s40 Saddle Bags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.