Battery life...... (Read 86 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Battery life......
05/15/14 at 16:26:06

My battery came with the bike new, almost two years ago. I noticed I let the water level get so low the top of the cell plates I could see when I popped the caps and looked in. I topped them off, put it on a charger while I had it out, but it said it was charged (light only, no meter reading)
I put it back in, she lit right up, and has all week..... but I'm a little concerned, should I be? It is a daily rider and has always started without any problem, even before I pulled it. Under normal conditions what is the life expectancy of these batteries, any idea? Anybody buy then online?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Battery life......
Reply #1 - 05/15/14 at 16:43:36

5 years is the average of a battery if maintained properly

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 05/15/14 at 17:34:23

I've had my bike for 8 years and I've never got more than 2 years out of a battery Tongue.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/15/14 at 17:38:12

Yup,.. my last one only went 2 years... I've had others go for 5 or 6...
I see no correlation to brand or price... jus' dumb luck,.. maybe weather,... maybe solar winds...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 05/15/14 at 18:28:23

Serowbot wrote on 05/15/14 at 17:38:12:
Yup,.. my last one only went 2 years... I've had others go for 5 or 6...
I see no correlation to brand or price... jus' dumb luck,.. maybe weather,... maybe solar winds...
Grin...

If all right wiff you buddy, not that I doan think you is not sage an allz.....
but I think I wills wayt till lady NC weighs in on the matter  Grin

Ok gang, anybody buy one online?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/15/14 at 23:16:33

I have, bad idea with a traditional wet cell type battery, they don't ship with acid, so you get to go to the auto parts store and buy some...

Gel cell, AGM, dry cell, etc will ship to your door ready to charge and install.

Replaced the 2004 sealed battery in the 1500 Drifter this spring, it only lasted about 85K miles.

Pokey was destroying a battery every 3 months out in WA.

Just take the big green and white boat across the ditch and hit Lynnwood, Cycle Barn or "Roached out pieces of monkey sh**", er, Bent Bike. Either one should have the battery in stock.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/15/14 at 23:45:27

... am I on the Russian site?... Grin...

PS... Big Crank is the online battery...
Don't go E-bay... I did... I was bad...
I was surprisingly unimpressed with BatteriesPlus battery (2 years)($110 .00)...
My current battery, is a locally bought, sealed glassmat, Bikemaster, $65... so far, so good.  and I do like to buy local when I can)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 05/16/14 at 00:01:05

Serowbot wrote on 05/15/14 at 23:45:27:
... am I on the Russian site?... Grin...

PS... Big Crank is the online battery...
Don't go E-bay... I did... I was bad...
I was surprisingly unimpressed with BatteriesPlus battery (2 years)($110 .00)...
My current battery, is a locally bought, sealed glassmat, Bikemaster, $65... so far, so good.  and I do like to buy local when I can)...

What's the part number 'Bot? The chickensh** cheese ball wannabe "bike gurus" at any of the local shops are not only useless, they won't hand the WPS catalog across the counter and let me show them how to look something up... F'n Cycle Gear sport/dirt bike pukes... Mewling pimple faced brats at the Suzuki dealerships... Tax write off kings at the Yammerscammer shop that might, might, sell one bike a year...  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 05/16/14 at 01:00:43

My suzuki DR had a 100% neglected battery last for 10 years. It's kickstart only so it had an easy life i guess. When it finally went down I replaced with a capacitor.
My Ducati kills batteries in 2-3 years.
The Savage had a new Lead Acid battery, it fried when the regulator came unplugged and charged it at 20v for long enough to cook it almost dry. Weirdly enough, I topped it up with rainwater, charged it up and it's doing sterling duty in the ducati.
The Savage has a SSB Powersports lithium which works awesomely. I bought it online BTW. Was funny to have a battery turn up in a padded bag. No wet stuff, no leak, and very light. It's about 1/2 the size of the wet battery and probably 1/4 the weight. It has the charging circuitry built in, so no need for add on charge bits n bobs.
My 2c.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 05/16/14 at 01:07:59

Two years out of the stock battery, bike brought brand new.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 05/16/14 at 06:26:06

I have generally gotten 2 to 4 years from stock type wet cell batteries.  Haven't had my savage long enough to say in it, though.  Put new battery in when I got it in late 2012.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/16/14 at 06:52:27

Based on the records I got when I bought it, the wet battery my '96 lasted about 5 years. I have not had a wet battery since I-don't-know-when, so I never even thought to check it when I bought it or put it away for the winter on the battery tender.

Needless to say, she was as dry as a bone when I tried to fire her up this season. She now has a locally sourced sealed battery for about $90.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/16/14 at 11:14:57

Big Crank

http://www.batterymart.com/c-suzuki-l650-savage-all-battery.html

I replaced one at 7 years just because I though it was time.  

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:20:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery life......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.