Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
sluggish or stalling when idling down (SOLVED) (Read 183 times)
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
sluggish or stalling when idling down (SOLVED)
05/15/14 at 07:56:34

Hey again Smiley
I have wide open pod style air filter, wide open shorty exhaust pipe and 2 washers for the white spacer.
I have tried like hell to adjust this issue with no avail. When I throttle then let go I get this sort of choking out briefly normally it will go right back to idle but when its cold it will sometimes stall. This happens even if I have the idle screw set to idle high. I'm sure this isnt normal and it sux because the bike is really running great otherwise. Any ideas???

« Last Edit: 05/16/14 at 07:48:02 by wickedbiker »  
WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: sluggish or stalling when idling down any idea
Reply #1 - 05/15/14 at 08:03:56

Do you have a Raptor petcock?

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #2 - 05/15/14 at 08:05:31

S-P wrote on 05/15/14 at 08:03:56:
Do you have a Raptor petcock?

Yea. Sorry forgot to mention that.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/15/14 at 08:09:09

Combination of your short open pipe and the pod filter. Pods and CV carburetor, regardless of make, age or size, do not mix well. Next to impossible to tune out hesitation and flat spots. Pods are for units with a cable operated slide or a standard automotive style butterfly valve.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #4 - 05/15/14 at 08:13:11

WD wrote on 05/15/14 at 08:09:09:
Combination of your short open pipe and the pod filter. Pods and CV carburetor, regardless of make, age or size, do not mix well. Next to impossible to tune out hesitation and flat spots. Pods are for units with a cable operated slide or a standard automotive style butterfly valve.

You really know what's up. What filter least expensive do you think would take care of it. I believe your right not only because you totally know bikes but I was thinking that was the issue. I actually busted my pod filter trying to fit it in that tight area now I cut my stock carb boot to about and inch and clamped 4-5 prices of fiberglass window screen to the front. I'm sure I need more resistance there or something.

WWW   IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 05/15/14 at 08:24:43

A stumble when returning quickly to idle often indicates that the idle circuit is running rich.

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #6 - 05/15/14 at 08:44:57

Right as rain WD, as usual....
What I did was took off the window screen and with much remorse I cut up and Old butpractically brand new k and n filter I had for my truck and wrapped it around that rubber intake boot and o clamped and sure nbuff problem solved

Thanks buddy and everyone else I always like to run things by you guys cause regardless of what's going on the outcome is almost always a success

You know those k and n filters ain't nothing but about 3 fabric prices in between 2 screens with some oil on em hmm go figure. Their profit margin must be massive Huh

WWW   IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #7 - 05/15/14 at 08:46:11

I don't know squat except I had a similar issue recently and it turned out my K/N cone filter was dry.  I'd lay odds WD is on the money.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 05/15/14 at 08:52:02

I know K&N filters courtesy of the hot rod VN800A, the bike that saw 44K miles in 18 months. Engine was built to put out 55 horse power at the rear wheel, stock made 50 hp at the crankshaft... Still miss that bike, blew the bottom end to scrap. Too many well over 140 mph runs on it...

I don't know everything. 100+ bikes in 27 years exposes you to a lot though.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #9 - 05/15/14 at 08:53:34

WD wrote on 05/15/14 at 08:52:02:
I know K&N filters courtesy of the hot rod VN800A, the bike that saw 44K miles in 18 months. Engine was built to put out 55 horse power at the rear wheel, stock made 50 hp at the crankshaft... Still miss that bike, blew the bottom end to scrap. Too many well over 140 mph runs on it...

I don't know everything. 100+ bikes in 27 years exposes you to a lot though.  

That's awesome! Thanks man

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/15/14 at 09:20:52

Well....you have a wide open pod filter, wide open shorty exhaust, and the bike runs a bit poorly.

My conservative mind says to start putting a few things back to reasonably normal until the bike runs well again.  Put a DYNA muffler on the bike and see if that helps....you can get them cheaply.

My adventurous side says to put a Mikuni Round Slide carb on.....without the Dial a Jet or Flow enhancer......as the jetting is harder with the enhancer.  I am not sure however that you have the skills it takes to jet a carb to run correctly......it takes some experience to be able to identify the difference between an issue caused by a lean condition - vs. one caused by an overly rich condition.  Carbs may bolt on mechanically - but they don't always run correctly right out of the box.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Re: sluggish or stalling when idling down (SOLVED)
Reply #11 - 05/16/14 at 07:57:46

Man what a pain in the ass this bike has been and i am sure it is due to inexperience on my part.

I came to find out it wasnt the jetting, nor was it the air filter...... I added the homemade K and N frankenfilter (Which actually works pretty good by the way) and the bike started spitting at 65 MPH again. So I went back up on the jetting due to more resistance with the new air filter I made and no difference. So back to the books I did some research online and found a great page here: http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

It says if your tuning and jetting and still having problems go back to the needle. Thats when it hit me. Lancer told me to use 3 of the washers he supplied in his jet kit and being the dumb ass rebellious, idiot with oppositional defiance disorder. I used 2!!!!!
So I took off the carb and added the 3rd washer cleaned things up a bit and man I can already tell the difference. I havent had a chance to test it other than idling (I have to wait until tonight, I'm Mr. MOM!) But I somehow before knew this bike would pull out from underneath of you and it just wouldnt do any of that. Well I can tell it is not bogging out whatsoever now and when I even touch the throttle I feel power coming out now!!! I bet I had this thing drowning in gas no matter what I did and I was putting in like $5 every 2 times I went out so my gas milage was like my lincoln navigator (Obcvious clue right? LOL!!!)
I will update again tonight or tomorrow hopfully telling you this bat out of hell ripped my shorts off  Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #12 - 05/16/14 at 10:20:54

"being the dumb ass rebellious, idiot with oppositional defiance disorder"

Man, who hasn't been there.

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #13 - 05/16/14 at 17:08:10

OK it was definantly the spacer issue and adding the 3rd spacer solved the issue I posted about. But I began stalling out at 65 again and changed my main jets a couple times and no dice so I changed back and took off my make shift POS k and n frankenfilter and put my wide open window screen bug filter back.

Well ah! No bogging or stalling running full speed ahead..........
BUT......... now I have major and I mean major backfiring on deceleration pop.. pop.. pop... pop... pop it has never been this bad. I swear if I don't get this bike to friggin run normal somehow I'm going to rip my hair out and sell the god forsaken thing.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/16/14 at 23:34:10

Put the airbox back in place, run a K&N drop in or a stock paper filter (the 97K+ mile one in the 1500 Drifter is still good)...  Or buy a real carbondater that can actually be tuned for a cone/velocity stack and an open pipe. Trying to tune a CV for race type use (cone and open pipe) is an exercise in futility. Been there, baffle in the pipe and stock airbox, both bikes.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 12:12:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › sluggish or stalling when idling down (SOLVED)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.