Finepix 700 (Read 106 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Finepix 700
05/14/14 at 13:31:55

I am learning a little at a time by experimentation...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Finepix 700
Reply #1 - 05/14/14 at 14:04:22

O.R.- It looks a little out of focus to me. This could be because it was hand held (but I doubt it), or too slow a shutter speed (don't forget the moon is moving), or just slightly out of focus. A lot of affordable telephoto zoom lenses get a bit soft when used at their max focal length wide open. Atmospheric conditions cause problems as well. Your best bet is a cold night with low humidity, the lens stopped down a bit, a shutter speed of at least 1/125th of a second, and a high enough ISO to allow the shutter speed and aperture. Even if it turns out a little grainy it will look better if it is sharp. Also- if your far away shots are all soft, your lens might need the "infinity" setting adjusted. Any camera repair shop can do this and it isn't very expensive.
An aside: I was given a 600mm lens in pieces by a friend of mine. I took it to a camera repair shop in Toronto to get it put together. After 7 months I called them up to check on progress ( the deal was they would work on it as time allowed) and they said "It's been together for a couple of months, but there hasn't been a clear enough day to set infinity focus." Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 05/14/14 at 14:08:25

Was zoomed all the way in to 6x digital.... speed was at about 160-200 very bright moon.

Bad thing about the 700, can't change lenses... using auto focus....guess I will have to look for something better Smiley

Plus....my eyes suck....glasses or no.... can't get a good prescription to save my butt....

P.S. I don't have a separate button to push..(used to have a pentax with a cabled button).. so more often than not, I am shaking as I push the shutter button.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 05/14/14 at 14:15:11

That is pretty good results for that camera.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 05/14/14 at 14:25:49

Any suggestions on a digital camera with interchangeable lenses on the cheaper side? I am looking on craigslist I the local area but am not sure on what to start looking for in the way of a decent one.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 05/14/14 at 15:24:14

This one is pretty good for the money.
http://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/digitalcameras/e-pm2.html

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 05/14/14 at 20:54:30

I would like to get a "full grip" slr type.... my fingers won't grip like they used to... but if I can wrap my right had around a pistol like grip I can hold a camera fairly still.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 05/15/14 at 03:49:08

Get a small tripod and use your timer, or a monopod.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 05/15/14 at 06:32:51

I have 3 tripods... large one that goes to 5', medium one that goes to 3' and a small table top one. Bad thing is...they each have different mount pad sizes so I have to keep changing it if I take all three with me. I usually just take the big one.

I'm liking the timer idea, but with this camera I think you have to press halfway each time to get a good focus... i'll play around tonight and see what happens.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/15/14 at 06:58:21

If I was that far "into it" I mite consider a telescope I could shoot pics thru,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 05/15/14 at 08:21:47

Just seeing how much quality I can pull out of this camera... I got the time now...might as well "learn" something...LOL...

I hate learnin', it hurts my head.... i'll forget it in a couple months if I don't keep doing it.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 05/15/14 at 12:01:36

old_rider wrote on 05/14/14 at 14:08:25:
Was zoomed all the way in to 6x digital.... I don't have a separate button to push....

6x digital zoom is no better than simply cropping the picture in PhotoShop.

For shaky shots, use a tripod or simply prop the camera on something, and use the "self timer" to take your paws off the trigger.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 05/15/14 at 13:31:51

old_rider wrote on 05/14/14 at 20:54:30:
I would like to get a "full grip" slr type.... my fingers won't grip like they used to... but if I can wrap my right had around a pistol like grip I can hold a camera fairly still.

Separate grips can be had cheaply, and then you have the choice of having it on the camera or not.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #13 - 05/15/14 at 16:45:28

Paladin. wrote on 05/15/14 at 12:01:36:
old_rider wrote on 05/14/14 at 14:08:25:
Was zoomed all the way in to 6x digital.... I don't have a separate button to push....

6x digital zoom is no better than simply cropping the picture in PhotoShop.

For shaky shots, use a tripod or simply prop the camera on something, and use the "self timer" to take your paws off the trigger.

Digital zoom IS photo shop  Grin

What you want is optical zoom, and depending on glass, it can get pricey. Of course your camera can't take a lens, but they have quite a few mega zoom PS cameras with CMOS processors now, and you can get them for the price of a low end lens.
If you find you want to continue, look at a "bridge" camera. It still is a fixed lens, but it gives you everything a DLSR does, except changing lens and getting dust bunnies  Angry
Also, no more shutter lag in the new cameras, they can focus and shoot just as good, if not better, than entry to mid level DSLR's.

Here is an example. I took this with a Fuji HS50 EXR. The little humming bird was about 10 feet away, I zoomed in, it focused faster than I could hit the trigger (almost) but it was quick enough to not lose my focus with shutter lag, as you can tell by the photo, and we know how hummingbirds love to move quickly  Grin

With a bridge camera you can shoot all manual or program priority , shoot RAW, whatever.... it really gives you a brush, and you get to paint the way you want.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 05/15/14 at 20:55:18

Old Rider, not bad for a Newbie shooting in low light at an almost colorless subject over 200,000 miles away. In 1994 my wife got a Vivitar 2000 35 mm for my birthday. I donated it to our 4-H club in 2012. The lens was 35-70mm, manual focus, manual everything. I got 28 photos inside a book on trains as well as the cover of the book. I also got a photo published in a monthly train magazine.

Christmas 2013 I got a "bridge camera" to have the best of both worlds. Black Friday price was $100, but I waited out the crowd and WalMart let me have it for $100 Saturday. It is a Finepix S4430. It has so many features that make it easy to use, so it is a good learning camera. Or you can just use "manual" or "auto". I have always used my cameras to take candids of people at church functions and even folks at work. They can't believe how good they are. I'm 61, and I've been documenting history for 50 yrs. You are doing the right thing experimenting. The internet has a wealth of articles to help you shoot good pics.  Take your camera every time you leave the house. Good pictures are everywhere. Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:17:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Finepix 700

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.