Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2001 Savage Carb disassembly/cleaning questions (Read 78 times)
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
2001 Savage Carb disassembly/cleaning questions
05/13/14 at 19:48:15

Hi I have recently got a decent deal on a  non running 2001 Suzuki savage with 1500 miles and  a supertrapp muffler I have been doing plenty of reading on this forum and have found tonnes! of good info the pic CD from Savage Greg is awesome!

The thing is the bike was sitting untouched for 5-7+ years in a garage with the gas in it and no fuel stabilizer which wouldn't matter anyways after 7 years lol.
Anyways I am fairly mechanically inclined so I plan to do all of the work myself. I have cleaned the tank out nicely and may put a tank sealer to keep the rust from coming back (any suggestions of which tank sealer to use? may make a new thread for this question.) I do know about the petcock issues but i haven't even taken that apart yet to see how much gunk is inside might order a raptor petcock if it looks too nasty.

I  have been digging into the carb for the last few days and have it almost completely disassembled other than the butterfly valve which i should be able to keep in place?

The Carb looks stock and had the cap on the idle mixture screw which is a shame because  the supertrapp muffler never had the end baffle plates on and prob never ran too well.  I have all of the rubber parts to one side there was  green rancid fuel in the bottom of the bowl and the jets were clogged and the float bowl is corroded and seems to have a pinhole on one side (i hear sloshing when i shake the float bowl.) Also the float needle was seized to the needle seat and the little button thingie on top of the needle jet was seized as well . I managed to get the needle  unseized and removed all of the jets and cleaned them out so that they have proper flow or look like they do.

I have a few questions if someone would like to chime in.

1.Should I buy a Carb kit such as the KEYSTER CARB KIT on ebay or will the cleaned jets work well?
2. How do I remove the emulsion tube if possible (the tube that the main jet attaches to) to clean it i?
3. I sprayed down the carb with carb spray but it doesn't seem to be getting the green crap off too good. I have a pressure washer  i could use but would it harm anything to blast the carb body with the pressure washer?
4.Can I dry the fuel out of the float & fix the pin hole in the float when i find it  with fuel resistant gasket maker or some other sealant  or should i just order a new one? Remember I am  fairly poor so spending less money is preferred. here are some pics of the gunky carb.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Byncf4Gy9qfrU1djZDdxQlFaZTQ&usp=sharing
BTW this is the best motorcycle forum I have been on, all the info is right there in my face.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: 2001 Savage Carb disassembly/cleaning question
Reply #1 - 05/13/14 at 22:34:13

More experienced biker carb guys will probably chime in, but it looks like the carb needs a "bath", immersed in an industrial strength carb cleaner, a fine brass brush and a compressed air blow out. Then you can see if anything is pitted or really corroded or just discolored.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/13/14 at 22:55:01

doh13 wrote on 05/13/14 at 19:48:15:
1.Should I buy a Carb kit such as the KEYSTER CARB KIT on ebay or will the cleaned jets work well?
2. How do I remove the emulsion tube if possible (the tube that the main jet attaches to) to clean it i?
3. I sprayed down the carb with carb spray but it doesn't seem to be getting the green crap off too good. I have a pressure washer  i could use but would it harm anything to blast the carb body with the pressure washer?
4.Can I dry the fuel out of the float & fix the pin hole in the float when i find it  with fuel resistant gasket maker or some other sealant  or should i just order a new one?
*Remember I am  fairly poor so spending less money is preferred. here are some pics of the gunky carb.

1. You're poor so I'd clean it as best you can and see where it goes from there.
2. I'd leave in place, and dip the carb.  most likely it'll hard to remove anyway.
3. idk  I'd use yamy carb dip
4. I'd replace it.  unless it's brass then i'd get it soldered.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/13/14 at 23:19:35

Location? Many of us has fairly well stocked private workshops. If anyone is close, you may be able to work something out, like say a 6 pack of their favorite beverage for the use of their carburetor dipping kit and welding torch tip cleaners... Which IS the best way to try and salvage gunked up jets. Dip and ream. Would cost you all of 2 Pabst Blue Ribbon 16 fluid ounce cans at my place (if that). About $4, maybe, if you were to catch me on one of the hyper ultra rare days I want a beer.

Soldering a brass float is easy, you can do it with a cigarette lighter and stereo solder. And watching it rocket around your kitchen is kind of fun, the fuel fumes can (usually for me) turn it into a miniature missile.   Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #4 - 05/14/14 at 03:51:13

quote:
watching it rocket around your kitchen is kind of fun, the fuel fumes can (usually for me) turn it into a miniature missile.  

...LOL

butterfly? my carb has a diaphragm and slide? what butterfly do you mean?

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #5 - 05/14/14 at 06:40:40

verslagen1 wrote on 05/13/14 at 22:55:01:
doh13 wrote on 05/13/14 at 19:48:15:
4.Can I dry the fuel out of the float & fix the pin hole in the float when i find it  with fuel resistant gasket maker or some other sealant  or should i just order a new one?
*Remember I am  fairly poor so spending less money is preferred. here are some pics of the gunky carb.

1. You're poor so I'd clean it as best you can and see where it goes from there.
2. I'd leave in place, and dip the carb.  most likely it'll hard to remove anyway.
3. idk  I'd use yamy carb dip
4. I'd replace it.  unless it's brass then i'd get it soldered.

Thanks for the info!

I managed to get the jets out without any damage and i cleaned them up pretty good they have good flow now. I live in the boonies in Canada and the dip is hard to come by and it needs to be ordered in ,I priced some to Napa and it was 60 bucks plus tax I believe and he didn't even know if it was any stronger than the spray I think i will spray some more in the holes etc then try the pressure washer if it doesn't seem to clean it i will have to splurge and get the dip i was also thinking about those ultrasonic cleaners but they are quite pricy as well . As far as the float I think i will need to invest in a new one its pretty corroded as you can see in the pics  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Byncf4Gy9qfrU1djZDdxQlFaZTQ&usp=sharing

Oh one more thing in the float bowl there is a hole on the side of the bowl (not the drain) and there is a hole up on the top of the float bowl where the gasket goes that looks like it would join with the hole in the bottom side of the float bowl  but i cant get air or carb spray or wire to go through it do these suppose to join up? i can provide a pic if needed.

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #6 - 05/14/14 at 06:42:31

shorty wrote on 05/14/14 at 03:51:13:
quote:
watching it rocket around your kitchen is kind of fun, the fuel fumes can (usually for me) turn it into a miniature missile.  

...LOL

The throttle butterfly not sure thats the proper name.. but my carb has the diaphragm and slide as well

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/14/14 at 06:57:42

shorty wrote on 05/14/14 at 03:51:13:
quote:

...LOL

If you have the stock carb...the throttle cable is connected to a throttle vlave (butterfly) on the cylinder side of the carb.  The slide is operated by engine vacuum pulling on the diapragm in response to the engine rpm and butterfly position.  

CVCarbFlow_001.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2001 Savage Carb disassembly/cleaning questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.