Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
will these sportster forks fit the Savagge? (Read 138 times)
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
will these sportster forks fit the Savagge?
05/13/14 at 17:21:16

These are off of a 1993 sportster and I believe they are 39mm same as the savage.
Does anyone know from experience if they fit? From what I've seen a great deal of sportster parts seem to fit the savage, hell half the darn time I'm out people think its a sportster.

WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: will these sportster forks fit the Savagge?
Reply #1 - 05/13/14 at 18:12:37

Wicked I truly don't know for sure, but the LS650 forks are an odd ball size. Most everyone who has modified the front end that I've seen has changed it all up including the triple trees.   Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/13/14 at 18:25:54

I thought our forks were 38mm?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/13/14 at 19:08:24

Yup, ours is 38mm.
1 stinking mm different... a measely .040"
you might find somebody to machine that out for you.
but it might be easier to get a set of compatible trees too.
like maybe off the vs800

« Last Edit: 05/13/14 at 20:47:41 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 05/13/14 at 20:16:24

So that's the top portion diameter? Couldn't you hone out the triple trees 1mm?

Just a thought.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/13/14 at 21:56:40

don't have a hone.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 05/13/14 at 22:50:05

Brake hone will resize the trees just fine... but Piglets normally use a 3/4" axle, the Savage axle is a barely 5/8" unit. Get the axle and front rim-brake disc-caliper if you are going to run those forks... oh, FYI, the forks and brake assembly are most likely Showa (Honda subsidiary) sourced, with the hub and rim being Excel (Kawasaki Heavy Industries) sourced... and HD doesn't order top of the line parts from any supplier.

I used to work for HD as an independent contract wrench. They source parts from: Honda (suspension and brakes), Kawasaki (Evo and Twin Cam engine designs, wheels, hubs, bearings), Yamaha (cylinder heads and rockers), Chevrolet (fuel injection), Mikuni, Mitsubishi (electrical), Nippon Denso (electrical, Toyota subsidiary), Dunlop-Firestone-Bridgestone  (Japanese owned tire manufacturers), Keihin (Honda carburetor subsidiary), Stanley (Japan owned, Taiwan labor electrical)...

Save up for the right parts. You don't want to replace the front end more than once.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #7 - 05/14/14 at 04:39:04

Too funny in other posts I say and know they are 38mm I keep confusing the size LOL! Stupid dislexia!!!

You guys are friggin awesome!!! I found these on craigslist for $70 or best offer in perfect condition. As mentioned I will give up my hunt to mod the front end and just save up for the $350 fork tubes.

verslagen1 wrote on 05/13/14 at 19:08:24:
Yup, ours is 38mm.
1 stinking mm different... a measely .040"
you might find somebody to machine that out for you.
but it might be easier to get a set of compatible trees too.
like maybe off the vs800

@ verslagen although the vs800 trees are 39mm and compatable that is a very tempting idea. I could go with raked vs800 trees and get  sporty 6 over forked front end. Definantly something to consider here.

Might not be a half bad frankenchopper Tongue

By the way just waiting on a few more parts and I'm going to video my bike build. For now and another after I go with a raked front.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/14/14 at 05:23:19

You need to consider the fact that the fork setup is a "system".  It goes from the head bearings through the stem, yokes, fork tubes, sliders, axle, hub, wheel, fender, brake mounts, headlight mount, handlebar mounts....etc.

If you make the Sportster forks fit on the existing yokes - well then WD pointed out the axle is a different size, the space between the tubes on the Savage may not be the same as the spacing on the Sportster, the mounts for the Savage Brakes will not be on the Sportser sliders, the spacing between the fork tubes might not be correct to use a Sportster front wheel and brake system.....and the Sportster disc and caliper may not work with your front brake master cylinder, and what kind of fender are you going to use.....if you use one?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 05/14/14 at 11:22:47

If you just have to make a change in the meantime, track down an old Suzuki Titan 500 2 stroke complete front wheel. A handful of 5/8" fender washers to make your spacer stacks and it slides right in. Actually works better than the original brakes, and it is a twin pivot drum.

I've already got failing brakes on both ends of the 2003, and Pine said it had year old pads and shoes... Good pad thickness up front, good lining thickness on the rear shoes, they just don't work very well. That Titan drum unit can make you do a "stoppy" it grabs so hard. Might swap it off Pokey next day off when I install the new fork gaiters on Sam... off today but they won't be here until tomorrow. Will be changing the fork oil at the same time, 11 year old oil is pretty much played out.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:32:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › will these sportster forks fit the Savagge?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.