Send Topic Print
Tank Bag? (Read 126 times)
sailorcolin

Building a street
tracker!

Rock Hill, SC
Tank Bag?
05/13/14 at 08:22:47

Anyone out there have a tank bag? If so could you post a pic and tell me if you like it?

99 Savage Street Tracker build.
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Tank Bag?
Reply #1 - 05/13/14 at 09:12:50

I have a tank bag - and unfortunately I can't tell you how well it works with the stock tank.  Mine is held on by magnets in the 4 flaps and it sticks tight.  It would cover the speedometer and all the indicator lights, and you have to move it to the side when you fuel up.

You really need to just ride your bike to several shops, and ask them to let you take the bag outside and try it on your bike.  I did that at 4 shops before I found one that worked well on my tank.  Mine is a medium sized one and will just barely hold a thin rain suit.  It is great for a drink bottle, sunglasses, cell phone, sandwich....and it has a clear map pocket on top.  The map pocket window will only show about 40 miles of roadway.....so you have to stop and change it often.  My Ipone can be used through the clear cover and my bare finger can scroll though the functions while riding......but I wear gloves and that doesn't work.  I have used my cell phone to navigate around a subdivision to find the right street and house - but never at speed on the highway.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sailorcolin

Building a street
tracker!

Rock Hill, SC
Reply #2 - 05/13/14 at 10:04:15

Dave wrote on 05/13/14 at 09:12:50:
I have a tank bag - and unfortunately I can't tell you how well it works with the stock tank.  Mine is held on by magnets in the 4 flaps and it sticks tight.  It would cover the speedometer and all the indicator lights, and you have to move it to the side when you fuel up.

You really need to just ride your bike to several shops, and ask them to let you take the bag outside and try it on your bike.  I did that at 4 shops before I found one that worked well on my tank.  Mine is a medium sized one and will just barely hold a thin rain suit.  It is great for a drink bottle, sunglasses, cell phone, sandwich....and it has a clear map pocket on top.  The map pocket window will only show about 40 miles of roadway.....so you have to stop and change it often.  My Ipone can be used through the clear cover and my bare finger can scroll though the functions while riding......but I wear gloves and that doesn't work.  I have used my cell phone to navigate around a subdivision to find the right street and house - but never at speed on the highway.

http://i59.tinypic.com/30mttmb.jpg

I went to Competition Accessories and found http://images.esellerpro.com/2189/I/335/30/Oxford-First-Time-2011-Mini-Tankba... that fits nice! but its $50 but if you are looking at bags that is not so bad. I have a handle bar mounted phone holder that works great for GPS and my iPhone. I recomend that for you: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A76L4B6/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF... . Im looking more for a bag to handle my documents and some spare tools. I think I may go with the Oxford but Im gonna try to put on my old Mountain Smith bag that I had on my KDX for the mean time.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/13/14 at 10:11:10

You might check your local Craigslist or eBay.  Either one of those often have bargains on tank bags.....as long as you know what will work.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #4 - 05/13/14 at 10:27:55

if you don't like scratches be careful, I had a cheap one that put lots of fine scratches on my tank.. I believe a higher quality bag would not have done so

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/13/14 at 11:15:22

Good point.  My bag has a soft rubber bottom - but you have to be careful not to set it down on anything that will put dirt on the bottom of the rubber before you put it on the tank.  My Honda ST1100 has had a tank bag on it for most of the 35,000 miles....and there are just a few tiny scratches that you have to look for to see.....nothing big.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/13/14 at 11:21:07

I have a Cortech tank bag... like this one...
I don't us it much (only if I need to tote an extra jacket or something)...

It will set low enough on the tank to still see the speedo... and also deflects some wind from yer' nethers and belly... (good on a chilly day)...
It also converts to backpack... to carry off the bike...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sailorcolin

Building a street
tracker!

Rock Hill, SC
Reply #7 - 05/13/14 at 11:24:16

Serowbot wrote on 05/13/14 at 11:21:07:
I have a Cortech tank bag... like this one...
I don't us it much (only if I need to tote an extra jacket or something)...

It will set low enough on the tank to still see the speedo... and also deflects some wind from yer' nethers and belly... (good on a chilly day)...

http://www.cortechperformance.com/images/products/h_s2tb12_black.jpg

I was about to say! I enjoy a nice breeze on my plums on a hot day! Being that Im in South Carolina we have allot of those!

Im actually looking at the same tank on CL for $35 right now!

Do you have a photo?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 05/13/14 at 11:38:43

Summertime... I sometimes just use a net bungie to strap a light jacket to the bars... or the back fender...
Keeps my "air conditioning" functional... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sailorcolin

Building a street
tracker!

Rock Hill, SC
Reply #9 - 05/14/14 at 05:42:18

So I got the previous generation Cortech Super 2.0 8 Litermagnetic Tankbag. works great!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:28:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tank Bag?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.