Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turn signals have gone loco!! (Read 74 times)
PMo85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso,Tx
Turn signals have gone loco!!
05/12/14 at 17:25:00

I bought some new universal turn signals for the rear because I got bags and had to relocate them

I cut the wires and off the old and joined them to the new. Soldered them together and put them on the bike. First passes; left worked properly as well did right. Tried the hazards and they worked too

Ran the wires through the fender up to where they connect and it still worked. A second time.

Now for some reasons it decided that left or right all I get is hazards?!??

If one is disconnected it works correctly. When both are connected it's hazards no matter what I try. Left or right.

I am no electrical genius. Someone please help. Got a run on Thursday!!

2013 S40, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plug, Motul 4T 300V Double Ester Oil 10W40, K&N Oil Filter, Dyna Muffler, 6 Sigma Jet Kit
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Turn signals have gone loco!!
Reply #1 - 05/12/14 at 20:11:43

I'd almost guarantee some sort of a grounding issue or there's a short in the new wiring.

But, sounds like it's hunting ground and finding it through the other bulb.

Single or double contact? Casing is ground or there is a ground wire?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/12/14 at 21:55:48

Man,, Im not ignorin ya,, I just Dont have a clue how to help,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/12/14 at 23:21:02

There is a 3 wire (brown, black, white) harness under the seat, tap into the brown if you have dual filament new signals and want running lights. The old signals had a hot as needed, and a ground (black with white stripe and red dots). You need to run a ground lead from those ground wires to the signal mount, one per side if not on your license plate holder, just one if they are.

I run red rear run/turn. Dim element is run, wired into the license plate light's brown lead. Bright element is turn, wired into the stock harness. Ran a ground from the stock harness to a stud on my license plate bracket. Signals are on double bolted L brackets on the backside of the plate itself.

Mine are these...
... rather heavy cast potmetal housing, plastic lens. Work great, but the turn element isn't quite bright enough with the as shipped bulbs.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 05/12/14 at 23:33:44

PMo85 wrote on 05/12/14 at 17:25:00:
I am no electrical genius.

I'm glad we cleared that up... Grin...

...for the moment... screw the useless flashers, and just connect the signals...
Once you have that figured out, and get through yer' ride... you can work on the flashers if you want them...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #5 - 05/13/14 at 05:34:18

since you have a ride cummin' up just ignore the electric turn signals and signal by hand.. as long as the tail light & brake light is functioning

fix it when you get back from the thursday ride  Wink

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #6 - 05/13/14 at 07:14:18

PMo85 wrote on 05/12/14 at 17:25:00:
I bought some new universal turn signals for the rear because I got bags and had to relocate them

I cut the wires and off the old and joined them to the new. Soldered them together and put them on the bike. First passes; left worked properly as well did right. Tried the hazards and they worked too

Ran the wires through the fender up to where they connect and it still worked. A second time.

Now for some reasons it decided that left or right all I get is hazards?!??

If one is disconnected it works correctly. When both are connected it's hazards no matter what I try. Left or right.

I am no electrical genius. Someone please help. Got a run on Thursday!!

I have the same or similar aftermarket sigs to what WD showed.  It has 2 wires, both are 12v, one for each filament in the bulb; no ground wire; ground is thru the metal mounting screw.  (I added a ground wire using a scrap of copper wire soldered to the bulb socket)  

Assuming you got something similar...

1.  Did you hook up the 2 wires as if 1 was a ground?  If it has a dual filament bulb and 2 wires, it's 1 wire for each filament/ground thru case. (I twisted the 2 wires together and attached both to the flasher 12v so I have flashers, but not running lights)  

(see WD's reply above: he hooked it up the way it's meant to be with running light and flashers)

Get a scrap of wire, go from the metal mounting screw to the old ground wire to be sure you have a good ground

2.  Did you get the 12v and ground hooked up backwards?  I did that once and got goofy results like you describe.

3.  You have to have both signals hooked up with bulbs in to test - you can have one testing fine by itself, then when you hook up the other, everything goes crazy!

Good luck man,  I have sat there staring at those signals saying "It can't be!!, I just tested it!  It just can't be doing this!!" Smiley

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
PMo85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso,Tx
Reply #7 - 05/13/14 at 09:47:34

Thank you for all the advice and help! I going to go ahead and take it old school with hand signals for the run however, I did get a local guy give me an answer as to what another cause could be

I had failed to mention that the new lights are LED. He said there is a resistance issue that is most likely causing my signals to constantly flash like hazards. He advised me to purchase a diode kit.He sent me the below link.

Has anyone had to deal with this before?

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/719/diode-kit

2013 S40, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plug, Motul 4T 300V Double Ester Oil 10W40, K&N Oil Filter, Dyna Muffler, 6 Sigma Jet Kit
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 05/13/14 at 09:53:42

diode adds resistance so the flasher sees the right load
less wiring if you install an electronic flasher
superbrightleds  has them

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:28:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn signals have gone loco!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.