Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
K&N Filter vs Stock (Read 184 times)
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

K&N Filter vs Stock
05/11/14 at 10:13:24

The previous owner put a K&N filter and short pipe on my S40.  I already had the stock pipe put back on and the carb rejetted.  I find that the bike runs a bit rough at low RPMs, and I am wondering if the K&N filter might be the culprit, and I might want to put a stock filter back in it.  Any thoughts?

I also noticed the belt is set too tightly.  I can only twist it 45 degrees instead of 90.  What symptoms does a tight belt cause?

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: K&N Filter vs Stock
Reply #1 - 05/11/14 at 11:02:22

A K/N shouldn't cause any rough running... I have one, not for performance but to save money... (they're washable)...

Too tight a belt, will cause noise mostly...
...way too tight, can cause enough resistance that it slows the bike when the suspension is compressed on bumps...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 05/11/14 at 11:15:48

I really like my KN drop-in.  It runs better and washing it is easy.  I never quite under stood why some people don't like it?

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 05/11/14 at 12:33:29

Do you have the original stock petcock? That might be causing the rough idle too.

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #4 - 05/11/14 at 19:03:18

Maybe it is just a gearing issue.  On other bikes, I'm used to being able to slow down and turn at intersections in second gear (at about 10-12 mph), without having to drop into first.  But I find that if I try that on the S40, it jerks repeatedly until I speed up to closer to 20mph.  Is that normal on these bikes?

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/11/14 at 20:24:44

Yep,, 2nd gear is a pretty good jump from 1st. Far enough to dissuade my clutchless shifting between those 2 gears. 2nd thru 5th, up & down, no clutch needed, but dang,, not 2 to 1 or 1 to 2,,nooo thanks,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #6 - 05/11/14 at 20:41:00

ihasabike wrote on 05/11/14 at 19:03:18:
Maybe it is just a gearing issue.  On other bikes, I'm used to being able to slow down and turn at intersections in second gear (at about 10-12 mph), without having to drop into first.  But I find that if I try that on the S40, it jerks repeatedly until I speed up to closer to 20mph.  Is that normal on these bikes?

Yeah, I get caught doing that too trying to take a corner in second gear. I usually slow down a little more and drop it into first.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 05/11/14 at 20:57:19

Keep it in second, slip the clutch and keep the rpms up. Savage engine/gearbox is a loose clone of the old Norton Manx racing single. It likes throttle.

K&N is a good item. Keep it oiled, clean it once a year or so unless you live in a high pollen/dust area.

Turn your airscrew out another 1/2-1 turn.

Unless you live in New England, the upper midwest or the Pacific North Wet, it is summer time. So run your bike on 15W40 or 20W50 oil, it will be a lot happier and so will you. Less noise, less vibration, smoother shifts, better seat of the pants feel.

And never let the stealership see it again, let alone touch it. They WILL FUBAR it...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #8 - 05/12/14 at 05:32:50

OK, I'll try more throttle.

IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #9 - 05/13/14 at 15:37:55

So do you guys advise a cone or a slip in k&n?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 05/13/14 at 15:43:53

Slip-in's are best, more surface area and more stable air ... cones are an option for the bobber look...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #11 - 05/13/14 at 17:11:02

I tried more throttle and works OK.

I'm wishing this thing had more gears, and wondering if there is a drop in transmission or some kind of way to get more gears that will give me a smooth second gear in low turns and lower RPMs when cruising on the highway at 75mph.  I'm going to start a new thread to ask about that.

IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #12 - 05/15/14 at 21:57:30

Serowbot wrote on 05/13/14 at 15:43:53:
Slip-in's are best, more surface area and more stable air ... cones are an option for the bobber look...

Ordered my slip in on wednesday. It will be here tomorrow morning Cool

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 05/16/14 at 04:33:31

ihasabike wrote on 05/13/14 at 17:11:02:
I tried more throttle and works OK.

I'm wishing this thing had more gears, and wondering if there is a drop in transmission or some kind of way to get more gears that will give me a smooth second gear in low turns and lower RPMs when cruising on the highway at 75mph.  I'm going to start a new thread to ask about that.

More gears ... drop in trans ... low 2nd ... low rpm cruise .......... remember, this is a LOW tech single; 50's/60's vintage technology; no factory upgrades available; aftermarket companies virtually ignore it; when it comes to gearing the only quick & easy change is to go with a chain vs the belt, but that just moves everything up or down.  There are no gear sets available unfortunately.  
If you go with the chain and gear it for an easy cruise on the highway, then 1st gear might be in the range you want for making a slow turn the way you want.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 11:18:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › K&N Filter vs Stock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.