Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Alarm for the Savage - ideas? (Read 221 times)
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Alarm for the Savage - ideas?
05/11/14 at 07:55:38

I live in a ´hood where I often find stray dope addicts and other hooligans fooling around with other peoples´mopeds, scooters and motorbikes. I need alarm advice. What kind of stuff do you guys use? It´s gotta be small/compact and loud as hell... any ideas/tips?

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Alarm for the Savage - ideas?
Reply #1 - 05/11/14 at 08:41:51

PVC pipe, tarps, build a little shed, wire it with whatever. Bust a wire, trip a relay, fire an air horn,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/11/14 at 09:13:17

My friend that lives in the deepest dankest darkest ghetto of King County WA uses pitbull terriers and 120V "fryer wires"... If the bike thieves get past the dogs and grab a bike, they get electrocuted. Just enough amperage to knock them out cold, they usually wake up when Johnny Law "cuffs and stuffs" them... No, it isn't legal, but the so far police think it is funny as all get out.

You're in the land of some of the best custom bike/car builders in the world. Swing by a shop and ask them what they use.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
OdysseusNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/11/14 at 10:49:34

Don't street park anything you're that attached to. They are pretty much useless except for annoying people. I'd be more worried about someone kicking my bike over out of frustration because of a false alarm that woke them up (they are very common here and people get very annoyed at them) than I'd be confident they'd actually stop a thief/vandal.

The whole shock thing sounds more likely to kill a stray dog than knock out a robber. And then your bike will smell like dead dog and burnt fur, and you'll have killed Lassie.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 05/11/14 at 11:06:46

They sell disc locks with built-in motion alarms...
That seems like the simplest solution...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 05/11/14 at 12:17:00

Rent a garage, find a few other bike guys in the neighborhood and share the cost if you don't have enough money  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/11/14 at 12:48:37

Toes hits it on the Nose..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 05/11/14 at 21:56:38

I'm all about sittin' and thinking up goofy stuff that actually works. Parking next to a cross-tie with a hole or two drilled through with a rigged attaching rod and a "hidden" padlock is way too much trouble for a doper. A cheap JC Whitney motion alarm would finish the deal. Or use a front wheel chock attached to an anchored sheet of plywood. Just lock the wheel to the chock. Or---can you get radioactive material at your WalMart?  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #8 - 05/11/14 at 22:08:54

I got his bike simple and relatively cheap signalling(about 17 dollars) this alarm has one drawback-there is no feedback on the keychain.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Gowor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poland
Reply #9 - 05/12/14 at 00:52:08

I bought the Xena disc lock with motion-triggered alarm. The salesman told me that they are OK if you can hear it and react (I use it at the office parking lot), but thieves have a very simple solution: they put a bucket full of insulation foam over the lock, put the front wheel on a skateboard, and off they go.

There is a great thread about bike security on reddit, written by a former motorcycle thief:http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator....

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 05/12/14 at 04:07:43

If a true thief can see it and wants it, he will find a way to get it more times then not unfortunately.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #11 - 05/12/14 at 07:19:08

I´m not worried about the professionals - as you said, if they want it, there´s nothing I can do. It´s them vandals, moped/scooter thieves and the rest of the misfits I want to deter. Lately, they have been seen with a 1,6m bolt shearer. They whacked my Vespa´s ABUS Kryptonite padlock in just a pinch. And that one had 14mm hardened steel to cut through. And then there´s the drunks who think my seat is a suitable platform for launching fireworks and firecrackers....idiots. The XENA lock looks promising, if it can deliver a loud enough sound. Combined with a hidden second alarm of the cheapo chinese type...would probably be good. I´ll keep looking. Thanks for the tips, also "the not-so-clever /dangerous to the public" ones

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Gowor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poland
Reply #12 - 05/12/14 at 07:39:11

Xena lock is loud enough for my ears to hurt when it goes off if I don't unlock it fast enough, so you can try. It should scare away the firework people Smiley

Other than that, get the strongest chain you can find, and put it through the rear wheel (the front wheel can be removed together with the chain very easily), or better- through the frame (just be careful near the exhaust).

The Savage is not really that valuable compared to other bikes, so I guess if I put enough locks on mine, an average thief will decide it's not worth the effort.

And since the oil leaks started, I got the additional "piece of junk" urban camouflage :-P

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 05/12/14 at 08:04:08

Get a pellet gun,,just a pistol is enough,,, 2 or 3 strokes & POW,,blue jeans will (probably) stop it, or get a paintball gun! Heeeeck YEA! They sting like the dickens, pose no real threat AND Mark the perps!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 05/12/14 at 08:53:47

If I were going to do it...
always use the steering lock and rig a pepper spray to go off if the steering is turned.  
If you have a windshield aim it at it so it creates a cloud that envelops the bike.
non-lethal deterrent that most won't be able to ignore.
But if it does go off, you'll probably won't be able to go near it till it's washed.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:28:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alarm for the Savage - ideas?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.