Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cheap Highway Pegs Idea, Comments? (Read 188 times)
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Cheap Highway Pegs Idea, Comments?
05/09/14 at 07:43:39

I have what I think to be a great idea for highway pegs. I looked on Ebay and they are easily $100 and I thought about using some bicycle handlebars I had which didnt work out well. (I'm not a welder nor have the equipment)
So I came up with this simple yet hopefully effective idea.
I have a set of Harley Davidson Highway Pegs and 2 pry bars that I had to pry a bike tire off of my chopper at one point. I cut both ends off of the pry bars so that they are only straight pieces. They are both exactly 9 1/2" long. I plan on measuring the bottom hole so that the bottom of the bar will fit snug against the peg on one side and the metal on the other. I am hoping this will keep them stable. The peg is square so it fits nicely and I am sure the right side will work well but the other side has a round brace so not to sure yet. I may cut a small round indent in the bottom of that one to make it stable. But if I am lucky enough that the bars will even fit and still be able to put the nuts back on I am hoping to make them tight enough that it wont be an issue anyway.
Here are a couple of photos to give you an idea. all thats left is I have to drill the holes and then I need to find bolts for the highway bars. Ilooked last night and I dont think I have any so I will probably have to wait until I can hit the hardware store and get a couple. In the meantime what are your opinions? Do you think this will work? If no why and do you see a way to improve on the idea? Thanks

Obviously this bar is sideways and will be turned flat facing the frame, I had it this way to make it easier to hold the bar.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cheap Highway Pegs Idea, Comments?
Reply #1 - 05/09/14 at 08:05:27

NOt being a welder just takes time with a stinger in hand, arc draggin time.
Not having a welder is a $350.00 answer. Lowes has a Lincoln "tombstone" welder for $300.00, That & a hood & some rods,, & probably a 220 outlet,, YOu can wire one up outta the fuse box if ya dont have one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #2 - 05/09/14 at 08:17:47

Yea I've been thinking about it. I know harbor freight has some good deals too or I could get a couple of car batteries and some vice grips and a rod holder and I'm good to go Wink I also saw a pretty cool video on YouTube where a guy uses a microwave transformer to make an arc welder its AWESOME!!

Quick question I am eating up drill bits and getting nowhere whats a good type of bit to easily drill through these pry bars??

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/09/14 at 08:34:26

Sizzling blue kind.

Hardened tool steel requires a specialty bit, extremely slow speed, lubricating/cooling oil... or a torch. You aren't going to buy a hardware store bit and have much luck drilling tool steel.

Swing them by the local machine shop. If the guy rides, probably cost you a half rack/hole to get the holes drilled, figure a full case per just to be safe.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #4 - 05/09/14 at 10:23:05

I like the idea. The only concern I have is that you're going to be applying a fairly hefty amount of torque on the ends of those bars, and you only have one fastening point per bar. I suspect that you are going to back one of those out in fairly short order.

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #5 - 05/09/14 at 10:33:44

Ain´t gonna work. First road bump, and your feet will be all over the place. darn dangerous. You need two bolts at the engine end. Your choice of steel is good, just make them bars longer/get longer bars so you can accomodate two fastening points.

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #6 - 05/09/14 at 12:35:35

I know exactly what you are saying and I was worried about that as well but it is hard to explain that the bottom of the right bar will be perfectly square against the original peg there and on the other side there is a round peice under where it bolts so I chiseled the bottom of the bar on that side to be round and fit that. So I am thinking that by being bolted against those it gives that second point to keep them from moving.

I honestly don't see any other way to add another bolt even with longer bars. I was thinking about using rubber washers on either side for traction but I honestly dont think all of that will fit.

Heres a pic to give you an idea of how they lock into place:

Plus believe me I am going to kick the shirt out of them before I go riding anywhere with em. If they aren't absolutely stable I wont use em.

WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #7 - 05/09/14 at 12:50:11

OK I figured it out what I am going to do is chisel out 3/4 of the bottom and leave the other 1/4 that will lock the bar under the original pegs so that they do not go downward, which is how all of thw eight will sit on them. Otherwise the fact that hey are bolted will keep them from going any other direction. I will get photos once I have them completed if I can even figure out how the hell I'm going to get 4 holes into em   Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 05/09/14 at 12:57:45

I'm simply thinking on going to a bicycle repair shop and picking up an old Schwinn stingray handle bar and fastening it to the front frame, adding some grips and bingo, foot rests.  Wink Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #9 - 05/09/14 at 16:43:05

old_rider wrote on 05/09/14 at 12:57:45:
I'm simply thinking on going to a bicycle repair shop and picking up an old Schwinn stingray handle bar and fastening it to the front frame, adding some grips and bingo, foot rests.  Wink Cool

I have the handlebars sitting in my driveway, I even cut the middle bar off and painted it but tried several different ways to attach it to the frame and no dice.

On my other option I have cut out the bottoms but left an "L" at the bottom so that it will lock into the OEM pegs. It should work perfectly should I ever come up with a way to drill 4 simple holes into this crazy steel. It's funny I can sawsall or drill it but it files quite easily. Go figure

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 05/09/14 at 16:46:05

Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/09/14 at 19:29:48

someone's bucking to be drummed outta the bmw core.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #12 - 05/09/14 at 21:36:00

Now that's a good idea LOL!!!

WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #13 - 05/13/14 at 10:43:36

Well..... I'm all done and suffice to say the highway pegs work great!! they are stable as can be and couldn't be more perfect I think I spent all of $10 on them thats including the Harley highway pegs I got at the flea market and the crowbars I got at harbor freight. Heres the pics and how I stabilized them..

I left a little hook at the bottom to hook onto the pegs:

I know it is hard to see but this is the hook on the other side, They dont move and they are 100% solid:

and they said it couldnt be done..... and personaly I dont think they look half bad either LOL!!!! Cool

WWW   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #14 - 05/13/14 at 13:11:59

looks pretty sweet! With that tab sticking out there it certainly isn't going to rotate forward. Well done.

Now, for the sake of science, (and to know if it would be comfortable for me) what is your inseam?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:25:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cheap Highway Pegs Idea, Comments?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.