Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kick Starter Lovers (Read 148 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Kick Starter Lovers
05/09/14 at 06:36:30

Well, all you kick starter lovers, you now have a chance to put your money where your mouths are.
http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelhome/691/home.aspx

Of course, it isn't a Suzuki. It has fuel injection. And it isn't inexpensive, either.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Kick Starter Lovers
Reply #1 - 05/09/14 at 07:34:30

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 05/09/14 at 07:40:16

Thanks. Haven't been looking at the forum for a while, and didn't see the SR400 in the more-or-less current topics.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/09/14 at 07:46:33

Most folks believe the price is a bit high and they are most likely not in the market at that price.....but maybe in a year or two when some used ones become available.

I also think it is a bit too heavy....384 pounds!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/09/14 at 09:15:47

Yea,, kick start Option,,( Option being the operative word) is a great thing,, ONLY doesnt trip my trigger at all,,& losing 250+ CC's & it still being that heavy? Naah,, Even for 3 or 4 hundred less than a Savage,, Id go with the Savage. I cant say what price difference Id have to see between used or new to point me to that 400,, it would have to be BIG,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 05/09/14 at 16:31:46

My personal opinion, I think the SR is one of the best looking bikes of all time, especially with the wire wheels. So many way to make it your own. It's a shame it's only the 400cc version (that's been available in europe and japan for about 1000 years now) but that's what they build...
Lots of the 400's are coming to Australia lately. Crew are paying 4-6 k for a good second hand Jap import. A good original Australian market '79 would fetch 8-10k. You guys in the states have it pretty good.
Here's another new scooter with kick start (this has electric leg, too. And fuel injection that I'd rather not have but that's another story) and what i voted for with my wallet. It's a lovely bike. Not fast ina  straight line, but goes round bends incredibly well. I love mine.

royalenfield-continental-GT-7.jpg
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 05/09/14 at 16:37:07

A small point on the price thing....
You see a bike you REALLY want, and have the $$ to buy it. Are you really going to let the fact that it's a little expensive stop you doing it? Even if there's something for a few hundred less that will do a better job?
I get the comment about my Enfield "you could have bought [insert what they recommend] for that money, are you mad?" . No, I bought the bike I WANTED to have. The pain of a few extra $$ is soon forgotten.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 05/09/14 at 16:46:11

Dave wrote on 05/09/14 at 07:46:33:
Most folks believe the price is a bit high and they are most likely not in the market at that price.....but maybe in a year or two when some used ones become available.

I also think it is a bit too heavy....384 pounds!

Yeah, it might be worth taking a look at in a year or to.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 05/10/14 at 16:22:34

Gizzo's right, it's about what you want and not other peoples opinions. When I brought my S40 my WOF (safety inspection man) said "why did you buy one of those things" well I brought it because I liked it, now for a little kick start nostalgia, if I can make it fit.

001_2.jpg

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 05/10/14 at 18:05:27

I love me some Royal Enfield, good on ya Gizzo    Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 05/10/14 at 18:19:38

I would love to extend my bike shed to make room for that little Yamaha cutie. I haven't seen a full report in "Cycle World" or "Motorcycle Consumer News", but Yamaha says it can be cranked by hand.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #11 - 05/11/14 at 14:02:39

When the popular model from the past was the SR500, whyinell would yam bring back a 400? jeez, dumm.
That Enfield looks terrific, can you do a comparo to the savage?

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #12 - 05/11/14 at 14:53:43

In the 360 degree photo, there's a black cylindrical device mounted on the frame in front of the shifter.
Is that the fuel pump? Man, if so, it's huge!

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 05/11/14 at 15:47:34

zipidachimp wrote on 05/11/14 at 14:02:39:
When the popular model from the past was the SR500, whyinell would yam bring back a 400? jeez, dumm.
That Enfield looks terrific, can you do a comparo to the savage?

They "bring back" the 400cc SR because that's what they've been building since the '80s to satisfy the Japanese market. The Germans are also mad for them. You can buy all kinds of Jap market road bikes in 400cc guise. ZX, VFR, SR, Savage, VT, CBR, even baby ducatis. You name it, it's there as a 400. They have this restriction that makes it really hard to be allowed to ride a bike over 400cc. It's just not worth their while to build the 500 for a few OS markets where in a post GFC environment, no one would buy it anyways.

A quick Savage/ Enfield comparo
Power: The Savage feels noticably more powerful. It's a gruntier engine for sure. The Enfield only makes 29HP so it's not a fast bike. It's a really nice engine for riding in town, and in the twisties in the hill, it's all I need. Top speed is around 150kph. It feels like a really fit 250. The Savage pulls out of bends quicker, is faster off the lights and also only runs to less than 150kph. The Savage gives around 40MPG, Enfield 65-70 MPG. Both sound awesomely singular.  Cool

Handling: The Savage has suspension, and also handling. The Enfield fork and shocks are quality Italian (Paoli) and work very well indeed. The frame is stiff and well built. Designed by Harris in the UK, don'tcherknow? What it lacks in power, the cornering ability makes up for. It's a total blast in the corners. I rode through the hills a few weeks ago with a buddy on his KTM LC4, and the Enfield hosed him through the bends.

Brakes: You know about Savage brakes. The Enfield has Brembos front and back. Tons of stopping power. I think the back is actually a little too powerful. The rear wheel locks easily.

Build quality: If you're looking for Japanese style, get on and ride, build quality, forget an Enfield. Buy an SR400. This GT looks like it's thrown together from across the room. I needed to tighten a lot of fasteners and actually replace a few too. It's like a brand new second hand bike. The parts are made well, it's just not assembled that well. Plus, my local Enfield dealer is worse than useless and the PD and first service were something to be ashamed of. I've sorted a bunch of things and have a few more to go. Not really accepatable for a new bike but part of the "Enfield experience" I guess.

Fun factor: Both high. Savage is a great town bike, copes well with distance riding and corners better than it has any right to. The Enfield corners like it looks it should. They both get a lot more attention than the average tupperware crotch rocket and are my kind of bikes. If I had lots of money I'd also get an SR500 and a G50.

Styling: The Savage is whatever you make it into, and usually looks great. The Enfield styling takes a lot of cues from the 64 Conti GT, and I think, looks sensational. The lines are perfect, I love the sculpted tank, the seat hump is pukka. I think they got it right first time. I just ditched a bunch of stuff like mudflaps, number plate bracket, stalk mirrors and standard muffler, to clean it up.

Conclusion: I love both bikes. Either could be a "one bike for all occasions" They both have character and style. They're not for everyone, but nor are we, right? We're special, too. Enjoy your motorcycling.  Smiley

Cheers
s

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #14 - 05/11/14 at 15:48:50

ToesNose wrote on 05/10/14 at 18:05:27:
I love me some Royal Enfield, good on ya Gizzo    Wink