Flooding after riding (Read 119 times)
eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Upstate South Carolina, USA
Flooding after riding
05/08/14 at 19:17:53

Ok I am a Nubie but I did try a search first. 2000 Savage with 5000 miles. Took it to stealer and they cleaned the carb. I replaced the Peacock with the Raptor. From cold, starts right up. Ride for a bit, turn off motor and it will not restart. Appears to be flooded even though I do not twist the throttle. Do I have a stuck float? Do I need a card rebuild? I can turn the peacock off, open the throttle and hit the starter and after what seems like 10 minutes (probably 30-45 seconds) it will start and I can quickly turn the peacock back to on and ride. What do I try next? Thanks all for your input.

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Flooding after riding
Reply #1 - 05/09/14 at 09:52:46

If you took the bike to a stealership and they took your money from you to fix the bike -- then carry it back to them and request that they fix what you paid them to fix.  

If they took your carb apart then they likely CAUSED what is wrong now.

Most dealerships do have a repair warranty and if they obviously missed fixing the issue (or actually screwed something up) they will try again at N/C.

Sad thing is they don't really don't seem to have a clue about the Savage sometimes, they never work on these bikes because they never see them again after they sell them.

======================

Take a big screwdriver plastic handle and smack the bowl of your carburetor 3-4 times with the handle pretty briskly, and run the bike for a while and tell us what changes.   If you have a stuck float assembly that should get you freed up again.

======================

Now what follows is a joke --- or something pretty fairly close to a joke, I think.    Roll Eyes

Smiley    now, as to why you got no replies to your peacock plea.

If he grabs on to my lever again I'm gonna kill him dead, really really really dead.

Peacocks don't like it when you twist their levers the wrong way .....

« Last Edit: 05/10/14 at 05:02:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/09/14 at 10:27:57

MMMkay,, Starts up easy, cold, doesnt wanna play once its warmed up..

Okay,, You got it running & its still warmed up,, What happens if ya kill it & immediately restart?
How long does it need to sit before it gets difficult?

&, for the carb gurus, what would cause this? If its the float/needle, then why is good to go cold?

Also, if you think for a second gas is moving when its shut off, check your oil. More than one has found oil with gasoline in it,, Thats not how to keep an engine alive,,

Recommend you learn to do the maintenance on it,., The cost of tools will be nothing compared to the cost of paying someone AND ya cant trust them to do it right. We have seen at least 2 engines destroyed by dealership mechanics just doing an oil change. By "destroyed" I mean, They no longer ran,, ruined, had to be replaced, The people here can talk ya thru everything that is Day to Day stuff.. At 5,000 miles, its time to check valves.. Theres no way Id let someone take MY $$$ for that,, Unless I got to stand there & watch them do it,

Any time youre gonna pull the tank, prepare a place to put it first.
Always blow the dirt out from around the spark plug before ya pull it out. Dirt will fall into the cylinder & screw up the walls & rings..

My neighbor has peacocks,, noisy things,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/09/14 at 11:52:35

Well, if he was that confused about his peacock, then let's see which Raptor he actually installed on his bike.

The old school raptors ....   (naw, they've been discontinued for a while now)

.... the modern raptors ....    (nope, don't want to be pissing those off either going around twistin' on their levers)

Once we get straight on what he's talking about, maybe we can help him.

And you are right, if he had installed a Yamaha 660 Raptor petcock what he describes makes no sense at all.

Unless his float assembly was sticking shut in the closed position, in which case the 3-4 raps with the screw driver to the bowl should jar it free and fix him right up.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 05/09/14 at 18:08:26

There ya go,, but dang,, The float has all kinds leverage on that itty bitty needle, Hafta be some way gummy stuff in that seat,.,
Maybe a dose of sea foam?

Hey, dude,, have ya dumped the bowl into a glass container to see if any gunk comes out? OHH,, wait,, the "profeshunnals" already cleaned it,, Ah fergot,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 05/10/14 at 04:56:30

Perhaps if he whacks it and rides it and then formulates a post that accurately describes what he's got then, post 660 raptor petcock and post bowl whacking.

I think he may be running OK or he would have posted again.

PS it is a very bad idea to crank your starter for more than 10 seconds -- you can melt some internal pieces from heat build up.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/10/14 at 05:29:22

Ok sorry. petcock not peacock. So when in the garage, I have the petcock to OFF. I turn the petcock to ON, start it and take a ride and the engine gets warm. I turn it off but leave the petcock in the ON position and have a chat with a friend for 10 minutes. When I go to start it, it appears to be flooded looking at the white puffs coming out of the tailpipe. Its raining right now but I will try smacking the screwdriver handle on the bowl to see if that changes anything.

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 05/10/14 at 07:50:25

You got something going on with the float valve.  It is leaking or sticking.  The screwdriver handle smack will tell us which.

Your dealership should fix this for free since their cleaning created the issue.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/10/14 at 08:22:42

AND, since youve pretty well proven youve had a carb farting ( passing gas) into the engine, you need to make sure the oil doesnt have gas in it,

IP Logged
eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/10/14 at 12:59:30

How exactly would gas get into the oil? Seeping past the piston rings? Just asking.

And how do I know if gas is in the oil? Can you see it? Can you smell it? Just asking.

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 05/10/14 at 13:04:50

Yes to both.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 05/10/14 at 15:26:01

Seeing the gas no...but your sight window for checking your oil (level bike) will be past the top line or overfull.

Yes if you unscrew your fill cap and sniff, you will be able to smell gas along with the oil.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/11/14 at 05:47:18

My sniffer doesnt work so well,, I drained some off & tried to lite it.,,decided being right was more important, so, I dumped it, Being wrong = an engine,, 100% certainty = cost of oil,.,I went for the oil.,

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/11/14 at 13:23:07

Another way that a carb can be flooded with gasoline is if the float sinks.  I've had it happen on two different motorcycles using brass floats.  In each case I had to drain out the gas and then solder the hole shut.  One had a hole corroded into it and the other had a soldered seam open up.

The repaired floats then operated fine.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:18:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flooding after riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.