Send Topic Print
Axle nut (Read 60 times)
Scott1234
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Axle nut
05/08/14 at 13:39:19

Hey everyone, first time poster here. I have a 2012 s40 with about 5100 miles on it. I bought it new and using this website i replaced the petcock and put a harley dyna muffler on, and re-jetted of course, so thanks. Looking through the tech section i saw that the reason my belt was squeaky was that it was too tight so i went to adjust it, but when i loosened the axle nut it seemed to "snap" or "click." Its not loose, its still firm to turn, but it won't come off or tighten back up. I'm not really sure how to proceed. thanks for reading.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Axle nut
Reply #1 - 05/08/14 at 14:03:16

Never heard of anything like that before...
You are holding the bolt on the other side, correct?..

Try a shot of oil...  Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Scott1234
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/08/14 at 14:32:33

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't holding the other nut and that's why it wouldn't come loose. Embarrassment aside i have it off now, but another problem arose, the adjuster on the belt side works, i can tighten and loosen, but the adjuster on the right side will tighten, but not loosen. Everything stays in place if i loosen it, the screw will just come out if i kept at it. I made sure the locking nut is loose so that's not it, and i gave it a quick shot of WD-40 but it won't budge. I'h hoping im just missing something obvious again and any help is appreciated, thanks

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/08/14 at 16:31:20

... if I'm understanding...

Back the adjuster off a bit,.. then wiggle the tire...
That will let it set back against the adjuster...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 05/08/14 at 21:00:58

What Serow said.

There's nothing applying pressure to the axle on the side away from the belt pulley so it won't pull back to the frame by itself.  You'll have to push or wiggle the wheel a little to get that one to move.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/09/14 at 05:30:00

When I adjust the right side....I loosen the axle nut just a bit until the axle will spin easily - but there is still a bit of tension on the axle.  I then move the right adjuster nut a bit.....and then take a rubber hammer and tap on the back of the adjuster nut to move the axle forward until the adjuster is touching the swingarm again.  Then tighten the axle nut.

You want to balance the position on the left and right adjusters so that the belt rides in the center of the pulley.  It should not be riding up against either side of the pulley.  It will take a few adjustments to get it right.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:17:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Axle nut

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.