Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hey Gunners - Muzzleloader Question (Read 55 times)
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hey Gunners - Muzzleloader Question
05/08/14 at 10:08:00

First the background. My Father in Law, whom I used to shoot flintlock rifles with, passed away 2 years ago, and his estate has been in probate (sibling rivalry?). He left a muzzle-loading 12 gauge shotgun to me, crafted circa 1850-1860 by a gunmaker in Camden NJ named Neff. It is a plain utility piece, no embellishment. We have not been able to find any reference to the gun or the maker, so we don't know the value. If anyone here has a clue, please let me know. Next up, he used the gun in competition, so it does shoot. But, it's a Damascus-type forge welded barrel. If anyone has detailed info regarding the safe, proper loading of this type shotgun, please share your expertise. Thanks

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Re: Hey Gunners - Muzzleloader Question
Reply #1 - 05/08/14 at 10:14:08

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 05/10/14 at 19:01:43

A quick check of American gunmakers, literally thousands, shows Neff Hardware, George Neff, Peter Neff, William Neff, and a collections of these  names with "and sons" added.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 05/11/14 at 06:45:11

If it is a rocklock don't use any black powder substitute like Proydex only use real black powder. For the main charge keep with FF and for the flash pan use FFF or FFFF if you can find it. I would get the firearm checked out by a gunsmith if you can find one that knows about real old guns. All the load information I have is for modern muzzle loaders, not like that old girl you have. I would think around 35 grains of F powder would be a safe start with #7 shot, I use that load in my .50 caliber pistols and a round ball. It's around a .69 caliber so don't go shooting any round balls out of it, you might burst the barrel
Have fun and be safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/11/14 at 08:25:53

Paul Bunyon Rifle Range, Puyallup, home of western Washington's largest mountain man group. One of those guys can run you through the drill with it. Or call old man Welcher in Tacoma if his shop is still open.

You did say in another thread you're a west sider, and I grew up there...

My 1800s 12g double is a forged Moore and Harris English made caplock. Had it inspected, barrels passed muster according to the crew at Dixie Gunworks. Need to restock mine and get it usable. It belonged to Lisa's great great grandfather, President Davis' personal military courier and survivor of both Shiloh and being a P.O.W...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/11/14 at 11:48:56

WD wrote on 05/11/14 at 08:25:53:
Paul Bunyon Rifle Range, Puyallup, home of western Washington's largest mountain man group. One of those guys can run you through the drill with it. Or call old man Welcher in Tacoma if his shop is still open.

You did say in another thread you're a west sider, and I grew up there...

My 1800s 12g double is a forged Moore and Harris English made caplock. Had it inspected, barrels passed muster according to the crew at Dixie Gunworks. Need to restock mine and get it usable. It belonged to Lisa's great great grandfather, President Davis' personal military courier and survivor of both Shiloh and being a P.O.W...

Thanks, that's some good info. That sounds like you have a real heirloom piece there, also. And yup - I live in Gig Harbor. So the PBers sound like the place to go. Now the bad news. It arrived OK, but was in a broken case, apparently had been in a storage locker or something for those 2 years while the other kids argued. Moisture got to it, so now I have a damaged stock and a rusty barrel. It has a well made caplock, which after a thorough cleaning and relube, looks and works good. I am researching methods of restoring the rest of it. Regarding shooting it, I have no experience with a B/P front stuffer shotgun. Rifles, cap and flint - lots. Even a finicky C&B wheel gun (sold that one!) My go-to field gun is a Charles Daly O/A .410, which I reload the hulls with American Pioneer Jim Shockey Gold 3F (BP substitute, as black powder is illegal here - classified as a low explosive). But stuffing a 3 inch hull on the work bench is a lot different than a running all that powder, shot and wad down a 30 inch barrel (outside, in the wind and rain, of course!). Also not so good, they didn't send the possibles bag, so no cleaning attachments. So before I get to shooting, I have some busy work to do. But Thanks to all for you responses. Smiley  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:33:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hey Gunners - Muzzleloader Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.