Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Post-hibernation gas leak (Read 30 times)
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Post-hibernation gas leak
05/08/14 at 07:12:32

I'm puzzled.

After starting up my 2007 s40 for the first time in the spring, it starts fine but then leaks gas out the carb. Last year, it flowed, this year it dripped. Last winter the stock petcock was on the bike, this winter I had a Raptor. (And I know that I forgot to turn the petcock off this winter. Sad )

When this happened last year, I panicked, pulled the carb and opened the bowl expecting to find a stuck float... but the thing was spotless inside and the float looked to be working. This year, I just turned the petcock off and let the bike sit to observe. Hours later, all was dry. I turned the petcock back on, no leak. I idled the bike, no leak. I hopped on and went up and down my street (~200 meters) and let it idle a bit more, no leak. No leak overnight either, and petcock is on Reserve. No leaks at all after the initial leak all last season.

I can't seem to find exactly where the gas is leaving the system; the carb didn't seem wet above the bowl gasket, but I can't be sure. I noticed that the tube from the airbox to the carb intake wasn't seated correctly (last year's carb pull) and as I reseated it I stuck my finger in there and it was a little wet. The air filter didn't really smell of gas, so I don't think the gas got that far.

Any ideas? I'm still blaming the float valve, but I don't know why it self-corrects so easily.

Note that both this winter and last, I didn't end up properly winterizing the bike; it basically sat as I parked it from the last ride all winter, so no gas stabilizer or the like. Tongue

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Post-hibernation gas leak
Reply #1 - 05/08/14 at 07:29:07

If you leave your gas in the "on" position even a "new" float needle is going to leak after a time.

It would depend on how much gas was in your tank at the time you "put it up" for the winter. The more gas the more pressure or force on the float needle.

Gas has to go somewhere if the bowl is full, the vents, air filter or crankcase. If you left your petc0ck in the "on" position all winter, drain your oil and put in fresh stuff (even if it don't smell like gas, could be a small amount in there), be safe not sorry.

The gas coming out of your carb is probably the residual overflow from the winter, the reason it stops.....because you are running the bike regularly and no overflow is being allowed, all vent tubes bleed back into the carb and all is well.

If it is not leaking after a few rides, you should be good to go, if it is still leaking, replace the float needle.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #2 - 05/08/14 at 10:06:12

it's probably fine, just keep an eye on it

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #3 - 05/08/14 at 12:04:50

old_rider wrote on 05/08/14 at 07:29:07:
If you leave your gas in the "on" position even a "new" float needle is going to leak after a time.

It would depend on how much gas was in your tank at the time you "put it up" for the winter. The more gas the more pressure or force on the float needle.

Hm. So you're saying that the float valve isn't perfect, and eventually the head pressure of the gas in the tank overfills the bowl and we end up with gas everywhere. Interesting. Maybe I'll just take the tank off the bike this fall; seems easier than remembering to turn the petcock to Off.  Cheesy

After second thought: The only hole in this theory is that I had the stock petcock on the bike last winter, so it wasn't an open valve. I suppose that thing is easily considered an imperfect valve too.

I change my oil every spring before first startup, so if there was gas in there, it should be gone now.

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:17:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Post-hibernation gas leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!