Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
trouble getting in first (Read 139 times)
daltmyer920
YaBB Newbies

awesome site! love
the bike

Houston TX
trouble getting in first
05/08/14 at 00:37:16

hi, i have a 2001 savage with 18k miles on it bought for 650$ runs great i have put cone filter on, changed main and pilot jets and a dyna muffler. my problem is that sometimes it is quite hard for me to shift into first gear. I have to be faily forcefull at times or go back from neutral to second back down to first... i have had the bike for couple months but and have rode about 100 miles this problem has only occured a few times. TIA for any information guys

versy mod,dyna, pod air filter, 152.5main 52.5 pilot. 2001, 18,XXX miles $800 Smiley hopefully purchasing ryca kit after having the bike for a year or so
  IP Logged
Gowor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poland
Re: trouble getting in first
Reply #1 - 05/08/14 at 03:26:08

I think it's just caused by the gearbox stopping in certain position, and it's nothing to worry about.

I usually just push the lever very lightly and slowly release the clutch, until the engine moves the gearbox a little and it engages.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #2 - 05/08/14 at 03:54:11

What oil you running?

Off topic but have you done the verslavy mod yet?

IP Logged
daltmyer920
YaBB Newbies

awesome site! love
the bike

Houston TX
Reply #3 - 05/08/14 at 03:59:00

sending my tensioner next week to get it modified, and i got some oil from a yamaha dealer 10w/40 but when i remove the tensioner plan on putting some rotella T15/40 as i have been trolling on the site quite a bit. haven't been riding for past couple weeks because of the tensioner..... haven't checked it out yet but i can hear it and im all for better safe than sorry!

versy mod,dyna, pod air filter, 152.5main 52.5 pilot. 2001, 18,XXX miles $800 Smiley hopefully purchasing ryca kit after having the bike for a year or so
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 05/08/14 at 12:17:38

Dalt it's a common occurrence with our scoot and many other bikes, just let the clutch out all the way then pull it in all the way again and you should be fine, everything just needs to align properly  Wink   Let me guess it happens most often when stopped at a light after being in neutral then trying to put it in first right?  Cool

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
daltmyer920
YaBB Newbies

awesome site! love
the bike

Houston TX
Reply #5 - 05/08/14 at 12:40:41

Correct the few times it happened were at a light an of course with cars behind me lol  Grin glad to hear it is just a normal thing though thanks guys. Little off subject but anyone know about average Mage before clutch pack needs do be changed. I know that kinda depends on how been rode and some other factors I'm sure

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/08/14 at 13:12:10

as far as the disks go, they have to be abused before they wear out.

concern yourself with adjusting...

this one is out of adjustment   Grin

The lever should be between the two marks on the case.

goto the tech section index and look up clutch.

WWW   IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #7 - 05/08/14 at 13:23:37

At the stop, put it in neutral.  Then, while waiting and standing still, pull the clutch once, just a tad or maybe halfway, while still in neutral. That will make the gears move ever so slightly. Then - just before the green lights show, put it in first. It´s going to be ready. No glitches.

<<tip from a rider of a  1953 Triumph pre-unit chopper. Works like a charm on any gearbox, including the Savage.

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 05/12/14 at 17:48:15

What do you most of you do at a red light? Put it in neutral or leave it in first with the clutch in? I usually leave it if first for at least one good reason. I'm just curious. Thanks.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 05/12/14 at 18:10:51

Rembrandt wrote on 05/12/14 at 17:48:15:
What do you most of you do at a red light? Put it in neutral or leave it in first with the clutch in? I usually leave it if first for at least one good reason. I'm just curious. Thanks.

I usually shift into first just before I'm completely stopped, and then just sit through the light with the clutch lever pulled in. Only exception is if I need my left hand for something while I'm sitting there. That doesn't happen very often though.

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #10 - 05/12/14 at 18:34:58

Also, check if your shift linkage is bent especially if you've put some pressure on it trying to get into first.  I had some trouble getting into first and found a pretty badly bent linkage.  I straightened the rod and adjusted the shift lever position and problem solved.  However, it's certainly possible that I might have bent it due to the issue mentioned by others.

Bob
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 05/12/14 at 21:46:47

I always sit at lights in gear in case a cell phone addict comes barreling up behind me. And I angle slightly so I can jump around the car in front of me or at least try some avoidance maneuver. I'm guessing that is your good reason.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 05/12/14 at 21:54:09

Ill put it in neutral, but Ill be angled for an opening & Ill be Watching,, anyone coming up behind, I plop it in gear till they get stopped,,

You stick it in neutral & hold the clutch lever in the guts of the tranny stop. It Mite fall rite into gear, it mite not,,Just let the clutch out a little & pull it in & step on the shifter, step, not Stomp,, Press is the better word,, It should be easy,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #13 - 05/12/14 at 22:31:47

I usually sit in first gear, off to the left side of the lane and watch the rear view mirrors. I also do that when sitting behind a vehicle at a light. Turn the front wheel to the left so if someone rear ends me I'll be launched to the side of the car in front of me instead of being crushed between the two vehicles.  Stuff you gotta think about.... Undecided

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/12/14 at 23:27:33

In gear, ready to pop the clutch and hop it onto the sidewalk. Have had to do so many times. I work in not only the most violent city in the country, it has THE worst drivers. These idiots make the traffic in Rome, Paris, Seattle, Lost Angeles and NYC look downright civilized...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:20:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › trouble getting in first

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.