Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Vibration (Read 222 times)
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Vibration
05/07/14 at 06:28:53

Does other people with Savages or S40's seem to get vibration from their motorcycle when they get at faster speeds.  When I get up to 60-65, it seems to be OK but after that, I start feeling my motorcycle vibrate more and my mirrors are even blurry from the vibration.  It is just me or is this normal?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Vibration
Reply #1 - 05/07/14 at 06:33:10

Check your motor mounts for tightness - especially the one at the top of the cylinder with the plate that connects between the head and top tube.  Sometimes the mounts are loose and it allows more vibration than normal.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/07/14 at 08:00:48

I ran the top mount single bolted for years. One in the engine (doesn't count) and the lower one in the frame, since the upper bolt interfered with my fuel tank.

Check the riser nuts under your top triple tree. The risers/bar "float" on rubber dampers that shrink as they age and dry out. Polyurethane swaybar endlink bushings can be shaved down into perfect replacements. But regular stock replacements are cheaper, less work and do the job sufficiently. Add an extra washer on the bottom side to draw them down a bit tighter as they shrink.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/07/14 at 12:58:12

Yea I get some vibration over 70Mph, but nothing that you wouldn't expect  Huh  It's a big single and a smaller lighter frame, not really made for laid back comfortable Interstate cruising.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #4 - 05/07/14 at 15:49:42

mine starts to vibrate 70-75mph... I got used to it

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
OdysseusNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/07/14 at 15:54:39

Mine has a particular vibration that starts up around 55 mph and dies down around 60 that is noticeable but doesn't bother me. In general it's not the smoothest ride but single cylinder vehicles tend to have a bit of vibration so I don't sweat it.

The speedo rattle bothers me a bit more and I might try to fix it one day.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 05/07/14 at 16:10:31

Quote:

I fixed mine not to long ago and it wasn't very difficult at all.  I just put in rubber washers anywhere metal might hit or slap.  There is a real good thread in the tech section.  Probably a better & more permanent fix then what I did.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
OdysseusNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/07/14 at 16:22:26

pg wrote on 05/07/14 at 16:10:31:
Quote:

I fixed mine not to long ago and it wasn't very difficult at all.  I just put in rubber washers anywhere metal might hit or slap.  There is a real good thread in the tech section.  Probably a better & more permanent fix then what I did.

Yeah I've actually seen the thread and am just being lazy about it.

Once I start my longer rides next week I'll be using earplugs and then it's even easier to ignore and I'll probably continue being lazy.  Grin

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 05/07/14 at 16:29:54

Seems like anything above ~60 or so will vibrate a little more than normal.  Like was said previously, it's a big single.  It ain't no Cadillac!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #9 - 05/07/14 at 21:01:14

Last year I took my rear tire off and remounted it, but I didn't re-balance the wheel. I got mirror rattling vibration at anything above 50mph.(The mirrors were useless). Also, it hurt my wrists it was so bad. After I balanced the rear wheel, the severe vibration stopped.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/07/14 at 21:44:48

Theres a mark on tires that is supposed to be opposite(?) the valve stem,, either opposite or with,, cant uhmember..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/07/14 at 22:13:54

There's a mark on new tires that marks the heavy side of the tire.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 05/07/14 at 22:58:14

Line the balance dot up WITH the valve stem. Rarely needs additional weight that way. I've mounted and balanced thousands of street motorcycle tires. The ones that required a bunch of weight were always credited back by the distributors and replaced free of charge as they were "culls" that slipped through quality control checks.

Been in and out of the motorcycle business since I was 15 back in 1987. The front on Pokey was done in the back of my truck with a tire spoon and a flathead screwdriver, while Sam's rear tire was being fought with in a tire machine. I bet Pine is STILL traumatized by some of the words/phrases he heard that day...  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #13 - 05/08/14 at 11:49:18

Yeah, the metzler me880's come with a red dot (heavy spot), that should be opposed to the stem.

That dot wore off after a couple thousand miles (I should complain!)

Anyway, I marked the stem location with chalk(this decision was ill advised), and then I pried the tire off. I used Windex to help lube the beads over the rim. Do you see where my plan started falling apart?

Anyway, to re-balance, I had to take the tire half off, mount the tire without the tube, find the heavy spot, mark it with paint, let the paint dry.

Then, tire half off, tube in, tire back on, pumped up, then balance with weights.

So easy. It only took me three weeks to balance a wheel.  Embarrassed

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #14 - 05/27/14 at 13:12:55

I think my motorcycle is OK and balanced alright.  I get a little vibrations but nothing major but I have noticed that sometimes when driving 60+ the mirrors seem blurry and even looking forward does too.   Someone I know said it's probably my new motorcycle helmet and it's not aerodynamic as it should be.   Any thoughts on that everyone?   I've also been adjusting my windshield some and maybe that has something to do with it.  Hmm...not sure now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:40:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Vibration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.