Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hair-brained Idea... (Read 198 times)
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Hair-brained Idea...
05/06/14 at 10:24:33

OK, so I've often said that my creative imagination far surpasses my technical ability, but this has got to be one of the wildest and crasiest off the wall ideas I've ever come up with...

The other day I was reading a thread on hardtail struts, and saw the "crowbar" shaped strut, and was thinking how much I loved the look, but wasn't crazy about the potential uncomfortable ride that a rigid frame provides.  That's when it hit me...what if the angled strut that follows the lines of the bike were combined with the "suspension" of a tortion spring similar to seat springs.  You've seen Hardtails, you've seen Softtails...Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the "Torsion Tail"... Undecided

torsion_tail.jpg

Sometimes when you've looked at everything, the problem ends up being the loose nut on the seat!
  IP Logged
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Re: Hair-brained Idea...
Reply #1 - 05/06/14 at 10:26:05

bigger

2_005.jpg

Sometimes when you've looked at everything, the problem ends up being the loose nut on the seat!
  IP Logged
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #2 - 05/06/14 at 10:28:59

I think the trick would be to have a torsion spring that supports the weight of the bike & rider without having too large of a diameter of coil & being too large of a wire diameter, but I think that it could posibly actually work.

Thoughts?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/06/14 at 10:37:11

I think if I was gonna go that route Id look at putting the coils down at the pivot for the swing arm. That would leave it cleaner back there & the spring would be located where the spring would more able to take the work. Youd have to include a limiter to keep it from throwing the swing arm down too far when ya get off or hit a big bump., Now, how big would it need to be? Dangfino.. I had a Duster that had torsion bars. It just had a 6 banger & they were pretty fat, but they were pretty long, too..That design youre talking about isnt really a torsion bar, its a spring, & w/o a shock Id expect it to bounce like the dickens going down the road,,but you mite be able to do a monoshock with some pretty good work in the frame, You ever seen a car w/o shocks? Theyre funny to watch,, I only saw one, when I was about 6. Yea, it was that memorable,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #4 - 05/06/14 at 10:53:48

I understand that it probably would ride like a pogo stick, but that's not the point.  We're not going for the feel of a cadilac here, just an alternative to a hardtail.  With that being understood, the topic of creature comforts went out the window a long time ago.  What I'm going for is the look of a rigid frame, but won't rattle your teeth loose.  And before anyone says "HD has done this, it's called a 'Softtail'..." I know, but that kind of conversion would take a crap ton of frame modification.  My Idea incorporates the shock mounting points, so it would be a direct bolt-on replacement, and could easily be changed back to shocks without any mods to the bike itself.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 05/06/14 at 10:55:19

Hmmmmmmm.Very very interesting(In my Artie Johnson voice from Laugh in)Showing my age.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/06/14 at 11:01:25

Pretty simple idea,... yet, I've never seen one...

Probably a good reason for that... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/06/14 at 11:05:33

OK......so you have a spring....but no damper.  What is going to keep it from bouncing for 1/4 mile after you hit the bump?  Remember how bouncy that spring chair is?

Your idea was used on cars back around 1900-1910......then technology improved.  Cars weren't safe when they were bouncing around on those rough roads....you bike wouldn't be safe either.

Olds01curvedDash5.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #8 - 05/06/14 at 11:38:40

Dang it Dave, there you go again smashing all my hopes and dreams with logic.  Tongue

The buggie & the patio chair are designed for comfort, and to absorb the compression, and therefore are nice and bouncy.  Torsion springs can be designed to do a number of different things...provide a lot of torque, absorb impact, etc.  All of these things are controlled by a few things: wire dia, wire tensile, coil dia, and number of coils.  For asthetics and space limitations, a single coil with a fairly small dia would be needed.  Also, you're kind of limited on wire dia because of the long canteleiver at the top portion, so it would need to be fairly beefy to keep from bending.  Those variables would force it to be really stiff, so the wire tensile couldn't bee too high, so the spring rate would be slow enough not to "buck".  I think it is "possible", but would have to be done in such a way that it would only take the "sting" out the larger bumps, and not to be a soft cushy ride.  Which takes me back to my original point of it being a "softer" alternative to a rigid frame.

With all that being said, the spring I just described requires the design engineering and special tooling to make that would price it about the same as nice used softtail. Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/06/14 at 12:33:17

You're certainly welcome to try...
Just give us advanced notice so we can have the video machine primed and ready.   Grin

You did have one good idea through... use a crowbar to make that strut.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 05/06/14 at 15:01:33

I love the idea! I reckon it would look awesome with some funky chrome hairpin springs, just like your illustration. How about incorporating some friction dampers from a Castle fork into one end? Could work....

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #11 - 05/06/14 at 15:43:10

I already thought about it one good right turn would throw you.

verslagen1 wrote on 05/06/14 at 12:33:17:
You did have one good idea through... use a crowbar to make that strut.   Cool

That was actually my idea when you look at the one posted in the hardtail strut thread that is exactly what it looks like and it is amazing looking. But I think it is in between the strut mounts not on the outside if anyone wants to confirm.

Heres the thread: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1392822524

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 05/06/14 at 21:04:11

I think we have a junk spring tooth harrow out back... More like leaf springs than torsion bars. Might have a junk branch rake section still, the rods are 5/16" diameter by about 3 feet long...  Have to check the forge iron pile.

If you want to be different, make the P in LS650P stand for "Power Plus" knock off...

Solid rod from swingarm to the leaf spring. That bike above is a 1918 1000cc, design debuted in 1916, same year Indian offered an electric starter...

Hardly Runnerson didn't have a full production swingarm Big Twin until 1954... and electric start came out on them in 1965.

Hey, I decided the P in LS650P stood for "Police", and built a scaled down 1950s English police bike out of my 2003...  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 05/07/14 at 04:31:19

Huh  No Damper = No Good

If it's the esthetics you are mainly looking for try figuring how to incorporate some type of shock absorber It would take a lot of fabrication but a single mount shock absorber/MacPherson strut centrally mounted within the frame would work and could mainly be out of sight with the torsion springs being the linkage to the swing arm.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/07/14 at 04:53:39

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:22:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hair-brained Idea...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.