Hair-brained Idea... (Read 198 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Hair-brained Idea...
Reply #15 - 05/07/14 at 06:21:44

Before you all smash Doody's hopes from the start, may I offer a little encouragement.

Doody, see how Moto Guzzi solved your problem :

and Moto Gilera as well

Mind you, these were the hot rods of their day... look at the rear suspension:
coil spring hidden in the fulcrum, and a "dialable" damper made of leather and cork discs which you could tighten so many "clicks"

Cool

Now git to work !  Wink

PS Add a springer front fork (or a girder, even!) and a drum brake, chain conversion and long hollow/trumpet exhaust, sprung seat, and you have a 1936 Savage !  Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #16 - 05/07/14 at 06:39:44

Why does a guy sitting on a solo seat suspended by torsion springs, on a rigid frame, not get donkey kicked over the handlebars?  Those springs aren't dampened.  I've seen guys riding rigids defnitely get bounced around, and it's a rougher ride, but I've never seen them pogo sticking like those videos.  What's the difference?

(need to add a disclaimer after I read this...not trying to sound argumenative & defensive.  This was a honest question.)

Sometimes when you've looked at everything, the problem ends up being the loose nut on the seat!
  IP Logged
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #17 - 05/07/14 at 06:53:00

Sweet pics mpescatori!  That last one especially is gorgeous.

Thanks for the support, lol.

Again, these examples are of full on functioning suspension, or at leat an attempt at it.  If I was going for function, I'd put on some nice progressives.  My idea was not going for suspension per se, but more of an impact absorbtion.

Sometimes when you've looked at everything, the problem ends up being the loose nut on the seat!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 05/07/14 at 07:52:16

I've ridden a Power Plus, it isn't a very functional set up. It will damp some of the road surface irregularities, but you're going to notice them.

Find a swingarm off a chain drive Yammerscammer Very Slow (Virago). It used a very British shock mounting, single coil over that connect to the frame backbone. Copy the upper mount on your Savage frame and graft on the swingarm, paint it black to match the rest of the frame cradle.

Find a wrecked VN800, style doesn't matter, and get the rear section of the frame with swingarm and shock. Chop off the back of your frame and graft on the Kawasaki parts. Use the Kawi rear wheel, sprocket and convert your bike to chain drive.

XV920 Yamaha...

VN800 Kawasaki...

The Yammie has a little bit more obvious suspension, the VN has a cleaner look.

And the best Japanese middle weight cruisers ever made were the VN800A, VN800 Drifter and VN800B (Classic). The 800A with a bit of tinkering will break the drive unit in its 140 mph speedometer as you go sailing past "pegging" the needle... or the cable (1st time) or rear drive unit (2nd time) I did that with my old one.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:18:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hair-brained Idea...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.