YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Re: Why Ride?
Reply #30 - 05/12/14 at 05:51:02

Hey RatDogWillie:
I started riding in 1961 at 20!!!
I also had a SR500 for about 5 years and loved that bike - great handling.  Used to go camping on it with all the gear loaded on the bike.  A real fun bike.  Used to ride it to work every day it wasn't raining and sometimes when it was.
Our Savages have same fun factor.

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #31 - 05/12/14 at 07:07:55

walterpump wrote on 05/12/14 at 05:51:02:
Hey RatDogWillie:
I started riding in 1961 at 20!!!
I also had a SR500 for about 5 years and loved that bike - great handling.  Used to go camping on it with all the gear loaded on the bike.  A real fun bike.  Used to ride it to work every day it wasn't raining and sometimes when it was.
Our Savages have same fun factor.

I used to take mine camping in the Shenandoah Valley and Harpers Ferry West Virginia. I loaded all the gear on the bike and headed off for the woods. I also would go out of state to camp in parking lots at Grateful Dead concerts.

There were 3 versions of the bike.....the SR500 - street, TT500- dirt bike (no lights) and the XT - street legal dirt bike.

My second bike was a Sears Mojave 125 (the Honda 50  was my first).
The Sears Mojave had an oil leak in the gasket that went down the middle of the bottom of the engine, which made braking wonderfully exciting. I didn't dare attempt to fix it as I had tried to fix my Honda 50. After replacing the Honda's' piston, I had parts left over when I put the engine back together......the engine locked up when I tried to start it.

So..... I put many miles on the Sears bike even though the top speed was 45MPH....which was okay with me since the back tire was always coated with oil, and every once in awhile... things just fell off and I would have to stop, go back and pick them up.

I once got banned for life from the town of Hagerstown, Maryland while riding the Mojave. The portly old Chief of Police was directing traffic at an intersection and he waved for me to stop. He told me that he didn't like motorcycle hoodlums in his town. He told me to leave immediately and if I ever returned, he would lock me up and throw away the key. I was 17 years old (this was 1969) riding a little ratty rat bike that had a parts shedding problem and an oil shined slick rear tire. I was still in high school and clean cut. I left town as quickly as I could.....but I fooled him....I have returned many times.....one of my sisters lives there now.

Shortly after I left the town.....while riding up a hill on a 2 lane blacktop in the Maryland countryside,  I saw a Maryland State Police car crest the hill coming the other way. In my only rear view mirror I saw him make a U turn. Being the only vehicle around I knew he was coming to get me...... so I ran. Since the bike had a maximum speed of 45.....I turned right on a dirt road just past the top of the hill.....now I am heading downhill with the throttle wide open hitting maybe a little better than 45, but leaving a cloud of dust. Somewhere about a mile or so down the trail....he caught up with me with lights flashing and siren wailing. Just as he got out of his car.....my only rear view mirror dropped to the ground. I asked the trooper if he had a wrench I could borrow. He was take aback a bit and replied that he had no loaner tools, then he asked if I was trying to run from him? I replied, "On this little motorcycle?" I said I was just exploring. He then said that the reason that he wanted to stop me was because Maryland had a helmet law. I said I am wearing a helmet....to which he stated that the helmet had to be DOT approved. I was wearing a Jockeys helmet that I borrowed. I worked part time with horses at the Laurel Race Track.

Well....he let me off with a warning and told me to get my mirror fixed at the next service station I came to. ......funny...the Hagerstown Police Chief hadn't mentioned any problem with wearing a jockeys helmet.....I guess he was too worried that I was probably a Hells Angel.

« Last Edit: 05/12/14 at 15:38:28 by RatdogWillie »  

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #32 - 05/12/14 at 16:14:51

Hey RatDogWillie:
Here's me on my SR500 back in early eighties:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7411/13986301357_546c5a10ae_b.jpg

Hope that link works

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #33 - 05/12/14 at 17:45:25

walterpump wrote on 05/12/14 at 16:14:51:
Hey RatDogWillie:
Here's me on my SR500 back in early eighties:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7411/13986301357_546c5a10ae_b.jpg

Hope that link works

Mine was black also, no windshield or crash bars.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #34 - 05/13/14 at 05:27:20

crash bars?? ..I still call them that but a dealer told me to call them "engine guards"  Lips Sealed

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #35 - 05/13/14 at 09:11:47

Well.... crash once and that's what you will call them.... LOL.... saved my leg (just a road cherry) from being broken. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:25:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why Ride?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.