Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Been learning to Tig - whose a tigger here? tips? (Read 101 times)
strang

london
Been learning to Tig - whose a tigger here? tips?
05/06/14 at 04:30:20

I decided that before I launch into a rebuild of my Savage I needed to get some more skills up and running so have been trying to learn to Tig weld. Been going pretty well except for once when I got distracted and let red hot filler rod tip burn straight through my other glove and a good bit of skin.
Just been practising on scrap but am going to move to actually doing bits on motorcycle frames soon (my XS650 then a Savage build).
Any tips? specifically about but welding brackets onto curved frame pipe?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Been learning to Tig - whose a tigger here? ti
Reply #1 - 05/06/14 at 04:54:20

Ive never tried it, but I would like to, I THINK. I know my stick welding "skills" are pretty sad. I can make a weld that holds, but its slow & BOY Izzit Ugly!..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 05/06/14 at 05:07:42

My welder buddy told me the one tool every welder needs is a good grinder.  Cheesy

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 05/06/14 at 06:22:55

Yea, I am about a 3 to 1 welder.. 3 minutes of grinding for every one welding,, Ive watched you tubes on "How to weld"./.Im gonna blame it ALL on that Harbor Freight welder,, Thats gotta be the problem,, coff, coff..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/06/14 at 06:48:08

My problem with welding is.....sometimes  months or year goes by between welding sessions.  Most of the time that I need to get my sheilding gas cylinder filled.....the tank needs to be pressure tested and certified again.

It is impossible to get really good at it when so much time passes between welding adventures.  And that is with a Mig....with the Tig I would have to learn how to use my foot as well!

I got a Tig Welded stainless megaphone from Burns Stainless....and the welds are beautiful!

RevConeMega.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/06/14 at 07:00:38

& Now I have ads for welding machines,, I didnt look up a welder,

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #6 - 05/06/14 at 13:08:26

yeah I think the machine makes quite a big difference with welding. I have a clarke mig and it is only good on one setting (for about 2-3mm) and even then sometimes it's spot on and sometimes its a mess. With the cheap migs the wire feed isn't very sophisticated so the settings aren't really accurate.
Tig I've found difficult but more consistent in the end. Your right though Dave about breaks. I'm actually thinking of putting an ad in the paper to do welding for beer money so that I can try to keep working on this skill.
I actually enjoy it. Apart from the burn. Wink
That muffler welding is way out of my league. Looks almost seemless.

images_005.jpg
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/07/14 at 03:30:58

The muffler above is beautiful; the welds are "machine welds".
 Years ago I worked for a company that made huge tanks for oil and gas companies.  The walls of the tanks were made from flat sheets of steel that were up to 4" thick.  They would roll them back and forth until they were bent into a cylinder.  The ends were then beveled to make a V-shaped valley (4" deep x 6" wide), and that valley was filled with "weld" by a huge welding machine.  That created the cylinder.  Then flat pieces of 4" steel would be stamped into a bowl shape, beveled around the edge, and then welded to the end of the cylinder by another welding machine.  It was amazing to see what could be done with such huge pieces of steel.  
All of the smaller pipes (up to 12" dia.) and brackets, etc, were all welded by hand.  The V-shaped troughs hand welded were up to 2" deep x 3-4 wide.  The welders in that place were mazing to watch.  Every single weld in every piece built was exrayed, and if they were not absolutely flawless they had to be redone.
This was in 1972-73 time frame.  

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/07/14 at 04:13:13

strang wrote on 05/06/14 at 04:30:20:

Any tips? specifically about but welding brackets onto curved frame pipe?

If you have the surface area you can drill a couple holes in the brackets and plug weld it to the pipe then run a bead along the seam, much easier for someone not so experienced.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/07/14 at 07:53:51

Can you post a pic or the brackets, a pic of where ya want them & a pic of them held in place?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 05/07/14 at 17:24:29

I have been thinking on getting a tig from harbor freight...not all their stuff is crappy, plus I have a warehouse about 45 min from the house.

I have purchased a few things from them and all of them have worked to my satisfaction so far.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/07/14 at 20:53:44

I get most of my welding supplies at Tractor Supply Company if I don't feel like arguing with the idiots at the farm co-op or the snobs at the welding supply house. TSC's welding supplies are mostly USA-Canada-Europe sourced instead of Taiwan-Red China-Korea-Malaysia/Indonesia. Better quality control, cleaner welds, more consistent wire feed speed, better tips, better grounding clamps... and American made Lincoln flux core wire. You can do any framework you want with .035 flux core if you are patient and make good v-butts prior to tacking it up.

TIG makes a prettier bead. MIG and flux core are more user friendly. Properly done stick arc is stronger, but mess it up and you're f'd.

I like welding. Play with a flux core machine pretty frequently. Makes the neatest colanders and "steel boogers" you'll ever see... yeah, I normally couldn't weld my way out of a wet paper bag... I tack it up and let the pros finish it 90% of the time.  Embarrassed

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/08/14 at 06:31:55

Lots of good tips here.  Plus one on TSC's welding supplies, most of it, at least in this town, is Hobart.  Another farm store chain, Rural King, also sells Hobart equipment.  And the quality and capacity of the welder does make a huge difference.  Not knowing anything about the low cost imports I would rather buy an older Miller.

The thickness of the material is everything when making the weld.  It is easy to make beautiful welds on 1/8 inch and thicker material.  When you get down to 16 gauge and thinner it is much more difficult.  

When butt welding the surplus heat must dissipate or you burn a hole in the material.  In a butt weld the heat only has one direction to go on each piece so it burns through easier.  Welding a bracket onto tubing is a better situation for the tube because the heat can go out in all directions and it will be the edge of the bracket that will tend to overheat unless you make the bracket of thicker material.  So design of the bracket is important.  

When butt welding pieces of tubing together to make an extension first get a short piece of solid round stock or a smaller diameter of tube to fit snugly inside the tubing you want to weld.  This has several benefits, 1) it adds mechanical stiffness, 2) it backs up the metal if you start to burn through and 3) you can make those plug welds that strang mentioned. Plug welds are easy to make and add a lot of strength.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/09/14 at 12:26:34

old_rider wrote on 05/07/14 at 17:24:29:
I have been thinking on getting a tig from harbor freight...not all their stuff is crappy.

I was surprised that Harbor Freight offered a Tig....and then the price is 1/4th what I had expected.

I believe the big price difference comes from the Harbor Freight model not having a foot pedal to control the heat.  The Tig welders I had looked at all included a pedal, and from what I understand you use the pedal to help increase the heat when you start welding, then you can back the heat down while welding to keep the bead consistent.  Also you can back the heat down at the end to help eliminate the little hole that develops when you stop the Tig weld and the metal is still hot and reacts with the air that is no longer displaced when the welding stops.

The owners feedback appears to be good on the Harbor Freight welders.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #14 - 05/09/14 at 12:33:37

I hear the 190 is the way to go... either 110 or 220, and i'm not looking at welding 1/2" thick stuff any way.
There is a chart on the welder, and the wire they send is supposedly crap and you should buy some other stuff/w acid flux core? don't remember  exactly but would print it out if I do go get one.... I been watching a few of the vids and even joe smo who can't weld is welding without gas and just small popcorn splats, which can be chiseled off.

I was pretty good back in the day with a stick welder, learned from my pops who had a big ol' 400lb craftsman welder. Welded on tractors, trailers, bailers and even once on a bulldozer, he said I had "the nack for it". Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:29:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Been learning to Tig - whose a tigger here? tips?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.