Send Topic Print
Mantis (Read 160 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Mantis
05/05/14 at 12:39:35

Any body know why this happens? I have an older 2 cycle mantis rototiller , It starts ok ,runs strong ,but wont start again when its hot. Also it wont idle. I cleaned the carb with spray cleaner.Run gas to oil ratio,40:1. Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Mantis
Reply #1 - 05/05/14 at 12:54:09

Most likely you need to take the carb apart, clean it, and put new gaskets and diaphragm's in the carb.  Ethanol fuel is horribly hard on the rubber parts in the carb.

ZAR is our resident full time small engine mechanic.....maybe he will chime in.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 05/05/14 at 13:14:06

Thanks Dave.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/06/14 at 04:05:09

Yep, gotta take it apart.  Those carbs are tiny, simple, and exposed to harsh elements, besides just sitting for months during winter and such.  There is not much to that little carb at all and won't take much to clean and rebuild with gaskets, etc.  It will do wonders.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/06/14 at 04:55:48

If its like a weed eater carb, be very gentle inside there. Those little plastic things with U shaped slots are actually the reed valves.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/06/14 at 07:55:01

Crank seals is a possibility. Ours is ancient, like first year or so they were available ancient, been used so often that the tines have collapsed. I refuse to fix it since Honda makes a 4 stroke version...

2 smoke engines are evil. Still considering turning the 1971 Honda CL100 into a chainsaw instead of a rigid tracker for the grandniece... 4 stroke 4spd chainsaw...  Cool

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/06/14 at 07:59:41

I had ( operative word, HAD) a 4 stroke tiller/weed eater from Sears. I was weed eating & forgot it was a 4 stroke & held it at an odd angle, killed the oil flow & lopped the cam lobes off some,, still runs, but its gutless.. I dont need the tiller any more, got a Real One,, & replacing the weed eater cost me a lot less than parts for fixin this thing & the time to do it,, I dont have the time,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #7 - 05/06/14 at 10:36:46

Thanks,for the input.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 05/08/14 at 19:52:58

rl if it stays running until you shut it down I doubt it's the carb. More likely it's crank seals drawing air like WD's thinking. Remember that a 2-smoke engine has no true intake or valve system to draw fuel into the cylinder.

The fuel/air mix flows from the carb into the crankcase,allowing the oil in the mix to lube the bottom end,before being drawn into the combustion chamber.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #9 - 05/09/14 at 17:28:13

It wont idle, but if I keep giving it some gas it will keep running.

IP Logged
Lipi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/14/14 at 06:32:25

I had an old two-stroke before and I had similar problems. On that bike the gasket was bad at the connection of the intake between the cylinder and the carbureator and the rubber intake was cracked at the same place.
I made new gasket from the hard cover page of a copybook and covered the crack on the rubber connecting-part with insulation tape and these have fixed the problem.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #11 - 05/14/14 at 10:28:17

WD ,did you know the tines on these tillers are guaranteed forlife? If  the teeth are broken they will send you new ones for free.I got two.You can get their adress on the mantis website.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 05/14/14 at 11:12:19

Have a 5 foot tiller hanging off the back of a gray market Kubota L1510... not willing to get in a fight with the black widow or the copperhead that call the Mantis home right now. Replaced the engine (Kohler) on the Garden Way-Troybuilt Horse model with a Yamaha engine last year, and still have a running Garden Way-Troybuilt Pony model tiller. No hurry on the Mantis, it has an electric back up anyway for the tighter sections of the gardens and flower beds.

Do things a mite oversized on our place, the "small" riding mower has a 60" cut, a diesel engine, and on demand all wheel drive. The rough mower is a 12 or 14 foot cut, the finish mower the same. Pull them with a 65 horse power 1960s Massey Ferguson diesel farm tractor that got a full rebuild last year...

Just shy of 60 acres total, have a lot of toys... even a utility company surplus bucket truck.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #13 - 05/14/14 at 14:28:42

Wow,thats a lawnmower! I have a 30 year old ariens,still runs good.Just 1/2 acre to mow,another 1/4 acre unmowed. Those facts about your land and equiptment  are very interesting!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/14/14 at 17:59:34

Main house was built in 1841. To replace the one that burned down in 1836, which was itself a replacement for the cabin built in the 1790s. Land grant for the farm was issued in 1793 as payment for services rendered during the American Revolution... have a copy of it around here somewhere... This land has been farmed since TN was part of North Carolina.

Keep digging up oddball junk from previous residents. Including tons of War of Northern Aggression era musket-Minie-pistol rounds. Worth a whopping $1.25 each to the tourists.  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:12:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Mantis

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.