Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PlastiDip - expert advice needed. (Read 153 times)
JBK

MS
PlastiDip - expert advice needed.
05/05/14 at 10:52:02

Anyone familiar with or worked with Plastidip? Is it worth it? Any negatives?

« Last Edit: 05/06/14 at 03:39:03 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: expert advice
Reply #1 - 05/05/14 at 12:20:46

One of the problems with creating a vague subject line.....is that it won't help anyone with a future search about "PlastiDip".

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1398119899

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1395537807/30

I am about to use this in the next week or two on the cross bar on my swingarm.  On of the things I learned is that you can't use masking tape to protect anything....then expect to pull the tape off without the Plastidip coming off as well.  I am going to try peeling the tape while the Plastidip is still wet (on a test piece first).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/05/14 at 18:16:26

Ive got a can O plasti dip. I do as it is intended.. Works on tools pretty well,,I cant imagine it on a tank or anything,, but,, hey,, somebody has to test those waters,, I have shot undercoat on a milk can,, seems pretty durable, seems to stay real well.. & it Sprays,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 05/05/14 at 20:19:39

Dave wrote on 05/05/14 at 12:20:46:
 On of the things I learned is that you can't use masking tape to protect anything....then expect to pull the tape off without the Plastidip coming off as well.  I am going to try peeling the tape while the Plastidip is still wet (on a test piece first).

As a painter for 30 years, yes... pull the tape while the "paint" is still tacky. If you let it dry, cut the edge of the tape with a razor blade before pulling the tape otherwise you'll pull the paint too.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/05/14 at 20:25:50

The guys in the body shop left the end of the tape long & pulled it off by pulling it straight back across itself, folded completely back on itself. Tended to not lift the paint,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/06/14 at 03:25:38

This Plastidip is a rubberized product that is made so you can remove it at any time.....so pulling the tape off is different than normal paint.  The product does not have a strong adhesion to the surface beneath, and it has a strong film strength......so is is just as happy to stay with the tape as it is the base when you peel off the tape.....it is designed to peel off!  I believe that you can't let any of the sprayed product cure.....and you need to pull the tape while it is freshly sprayed and still completly wet.

I will do some "test taping" in a day or two.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: PlastiDip - expert advice needed.
Reply #6 - 05/12/14 at 05:52:05

I kinda wondered if you could work it backwards... smear some vasaline where you dont want it to stick.

PS. I used it on some AL rims.. I did clean them, but nothing else. The product seemed to work well, though its not permanent. Should last 6 - 12 months though. Came off with a pressure washer with the very high pressure tip.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 05/12/14 at 08:26:38

I have a couple nicks and dings on the tour pack already, I am going to try the spray in the lid and artist brush fill in fix.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
William Pors
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/12/14 at 11:24:44

its worth it. as long as you apply a good couple layers nice and thick, it'll come off really nicely. Its decent protection against the elements too. I haven't ever heard of any problems where the stuff will ruin the paint... knock on wood though. Cheap easy to do... try it and remember to try n tape it all off very nicely. over spray is annoying to get off.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 05/12/14 at 21:28:33

Check out ALSA Paint.com.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/19/14 at 03:53:44

I was able to try the PlastiDip thsi weekend.

I took a painted piece of metal, and I taped off two sides, and cleaned the paint.  I then sprayed several passes of PlastiDip until it was fully covered and shiny.  I then waited just a few minutes and peeled the tape off one side.

For the other side I waited the full 30 minutes that would be required to do another coat, and then I attempted to remove the tape from the other side.  As I anticipated after reading what old_rider said - the PlastiDip does not seperate cleanly when removing tape.  The PlastDip has a very strong surface.....and it does not want to seperate once cured.

I let the PlastiDip dry overnight, and the next day I was able to peel it off.  It sticks really well, and it reminded me of the kind of material a latex balloon or glove is made from.  It is very stretchy and very strong.

With what I learned I taped off my swingarm, sprayed a few heavy passes for good coverage, and then carefully removed the tape.  I did bump the wet surface in one spot on the vertical piece just in front of the tire and it made a smudge.  The PlastiDip should do a good job protecting the swingarm from the rocks thrown by the tire....although it would have been nice to get a few more coats, the only way I can think to accomplish that is to remove the edge masking tape between coats and apply new tape on the edge with each coat applied.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 05/19/14 at 07:07:59

Thanks for sharing your results. It looks good ( to me) and should be durable enough to warrant the effort.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:23:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › PlastiDip - expert advice needed.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.