Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How Fast?  Nice Saturday ride to Wilmington, OH (Read 148 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
How Fast?  Nice Saturday ride to Wilmington, OH
05/04/14 at 04:51:17

Yesterday I rode with a friend up to the Wilmington Air Base to see a speed event that happens several times a year....this was my first time to see it.  They use a runway and have a mile long speed event.  A lot of these folks are tuning up their cars and bikes for Bonneville.  Unfortunately the wind got so strong they had to stop the event for the day and we only got to see about 30 minutes of runs.  Some of the big horsepower cars were scary fast.  Even with a 30-40 mph head wind one car and one bike got over 200 mph in the mile.

This was bike was supercharged....I think it was a Honda.

This was a Honda 4 cylinder GoldWing powered bike with a supercharger.  The car behind it was scary fast....it just kept going faster and faster the whole length of the mile.....and looked like it must have had over 1,000 horsepower as it just leaped up to scary fast speed.

Not sure what was in this one - but there was another one like it that was powered by a Harley V-Rod engine.

This cool truck was the support/tow vehicle for a Harley V-Rod that was turbocharged and intercooled.

« Last Edit: 09/23/14 at 09:23:30 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: How Fast?  Nice Saturday ride.
Reply #1 - 05/04/14 at 07:00:58

Wow!  Kentucky isn't but a few hours ride from here.  I'm headed there NOW!!!   Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/04/14 at 07:24:40

It is running again today.....and with little wind they are most likely to be able to run today.  I had never thought about it before....but when you are building land speed record cars and bikes.....you have little opportunity to test them out at speed. One of the things that I had not thought of, is some of the cars have a single speed it appeared, and they had to be pushed to get them up to a speed that the engine could handle.  There was a 750cc Saab with a 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine, and it looked like it was being pushed for about 1/3rd of the mile before it finally started to pull away from the push truck.

Wilmington is located about half way between Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio.  I believe the airport was once a military base, then became a hub for FedEx.....but I believe they pulled out a few years ago.

Here is the link to the schedule for 2014.
http://ecta-lsr.net/?page_id=27

The Street bike record for a 650cc bike with no power adders (nitrous or turbo)...is 180 mph!  I don't believe the Savage has a chance!

« Last Edit: 05/04/14 at 09:24:40 by Dave »  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/04/14 at 07:37:30

Look for a cafe racer styled orange and black CB350 Twin. Land speed record holder, belongs to one of the contributing editors of The Horse Backstreet Choppers magazine. The only CB350 ever to serve as a feature bike in the mag.

Built and campaigned by Steve, the owner of Brew Racing Frames.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 05/04/14 at 12:26:28

Air shows and drag races!  Oh baby! Cool pics, thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/05/14 at 06:07:20

Yep....I had this moment on Saturday!

Race_Fuel.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: How Fast?  Nice Saturday ride to Wilmington, O
Reply #6 - 09/23/14 at 09:32:11

You have one more chance this year to see High MPH cars and bikes this weekend in Wilmington, OH.....September 27 & 28, 2014.

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

I went up in the spring and it was really neat - unfortunately we only got to see about 30 minutes of racing into a strong "in your face" wind before they shut the course down.  We did see one bike and 2 cars top 200 mph while we were there.  It is different that drag racing as they are going a full mile under full throttle, and they are looking for the top speed and not worried about the time it takes.  Some of the smaller bikes only shift once or twice and spend a long time winding out each gear.

On Saturday I plan on getting there for some morning racing, in hopes the wind will not have picked up yet.  The schedule is racing from 9 util 11:30 AM, then a lunch break and resume racing from 12:00 until 6 PM.  IF you take our fuel jug......they have all flavors of race fuel available. Wink

See you there? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/23/14 at 10:28:58

I used to fly model planes. NOTHING smells like nitromethane. Even cut with castor oil,it's just luscious. It's almost worth building an engine test stand just to run that old Enya 35. MAN!I've got that thing hanging out in the shop,along with the fuel tank and the handle the wires hook to... I bet my grandson would get a kick out of that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/28/14 at 18:02:42

Well it was a great ride up to Wilmington on Saturday, and there were several new records set that day.  The weather was perfect and the wind was a slight tail wind that occasionally would shift to the left side....the wind sock stayed pretty limp most of the day.  There were lots of Hayabusa bikes breaking 200.  One of the most impressive was a very fast Harley Bagger.  I am not sure what the motor was - but it was supercharged and intercooled and it made big cubic inch sounds of power as it went down the track.....no high rpms shrieks.....just big booming sounds of big torque!

On the other end of the spectrum was this Benelli 125cc that was ridden by a very pretty young woman.

And you if you buy a Big Bore kit from Lancer or send your parts to Boretech...this is the kind of expertise you are getting.  This is Bill Moellers Honda 350 that is mechanically fuel inected ethanol.

Bill is seated in his golf cart towing his bike for the next run.

Bill knows his away around engines, and he is "the guy" to have working on your cylinder!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/29/14 at 17:25:24

Dave,Really?  I don't See the pretty young woman. You Said that there was a Pretty Young Woman who ran that bike,but,,well,,,where Is she,man?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
NEHokiePokie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/29/14 at 20:23:23

Yeah, where's the pretty woman on the motorcycle! Stellar rides though

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/30/14 at 02:37:38

Sorry.  First I saw the bike and took the picture.  Later when I saw the woman with the bike, and she was stripping off her leathers.....I had one of those "Deer in the Headlight" moments! Wink

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/30/14 at 18:12:21

you were in my back yard. air park is less than a mile from my house. i forgot about that going on. i usually hear them running down the strip

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/18/24 at 16:26:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › How Fast?  Nice Saturday ride to Wilmington, OH

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.