Securing your luggage (Read 123 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Securing your luggage
05/03/14 at 18:26:33

I've been looking into roll bags like this http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/River-Road-Sissy-Bar-Bags/River-Road-Spec...

and this http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/Saddlemen-Roll-bags/Saddlemen-Bags-Saddle...

to attach to my sissy bar.  While I like the thought of being able to easily remove the bag, I'm more concerned with security.  Does anybody else have any ideas on how to attach a bag like this and make it more difficult to remove than velcro?

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Securing your luggage
Reply #1 - 05/03/14 at 19:26:26

This is NOT to start a problem, but I think River Road is made in Pakistan. (At least their jeans) I try to not send money to countries who hate us, but who's to say I'm right? Just something to think about. I wear River Road Kevlar jeans on every ride. Seem well made and feel right.Just some stuff happened over there since I bought them. Again--not judging--just informing..

I don't take trips over a long day or one night,so a good old Chinese (lol) duffle bag with Amtrak on the side works for me. I do really like the 15" cargo net. It and a couple of bungees hold my small tool bag and about anything that makes sense on a bike.

As for security, call Iron Pony, Aerostitch, Motorcycle Superstore. Give 'em a Google first, but I've foundthem to know their products. The problem is soft luggage is soft; however slowing down a theif may be as good as stopping him cold. Time is his enemy. Good luck in your search.   Boofer  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 05/03/14 at 20:19:48

Quote:
Does anybody else have any ideas on how to attach a bag like this and make it more difficult to remove than velcro?

Take a look at this web page, this is good stuff.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_...

A120_Universal_Tie_Down_2pk_a_lg.jpg

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 05/03/14 at 20:21:42

The Saddlemen bag has D-rings on the bottom of each side.  Perhaps there is a way I can extend that to reach the stock helmet lock.  Then it would finally have a purpose!  Too bad I lost mine 4-5K miles ago...   Undecided  Perhaps I can find a small cable lock to run through the D-rings and sissy bar.  Might get one long enough to lock the helmets up, too.

I know that being a soft bag, there is only so much you can do to stop somebody.  IMHO, a little deterrent is better than nothing at all.  Any other input is appreciated.  Community brainstorming is the best.

EDIT:

Something like this might fit the bill.  I'm torn between wanting something stronger and realizing that security is an illusion.
http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-998600-Black-Retractor-Combination/dp/B001SM...

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 05/03/14 at 20:45:07

Saddlemen is good stuff as well.  I like the universal tie downs because they compress from the top down and you pull everything to the bike.  You can always get one of those web nets as well.

PB110083.JPG

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 05/03/14 at 20:59:23

Sorry, I misunderstood.  When you meant securing you were referring to theft.  Other than what you posted or a nylon steel cable, the only other option is hard luggage.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/03/14 at 21:20:47

Is your intent is to be able to walk away from the bike and not loose the bag...

Or to keep someone rifling thru your stuff?

the cable lock you links could do both jobs, but the end of the cable may not fit thru the ends of the tabs.

or a combonation carabiner might suffice.
http://www.amazon.com/Carabiner-Styler-Combination-Lock-Silver/dp/B000PAYO9S/...

Or if you just want to make it difficult to remove (it is soft luggage) maybe put a hole in the bag and bolt it to something solid... rail or sissy bar.

WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #7 - 05/03/14 at 22:16:48

Quote:
Is your intent is to be able to walk away from the bike and not loose the bag...

Or to keep someone rifling thru your stuff?

My intent is the former; I don't want my bag to walk off.  I'll probably just use a cheap luggage lock for the zippers and run the cable lock for helmets.  I have insurance on everything, but I'd like to avoid that hassle.  I won't be the easy target.

One of these days I'll afford a nice sport-tourer like the Triumph Trophy.   Then I'll have more locking luggage than I'll know what to do with!   Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/03/14 at 23:41:37

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 05/04/14 at 07:29:50

Remove the sissybar pad, drop bag strap over sissybar. Install pad.

If the screws are covered by a little black and gold Suzuki badge, it pops right off. Held on via emblem tape.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 05/04/14 at 20:04:46

It will probably be salty, but look up "Gun range bags" and see if any have secure attachments. I know many have good locks. Boofer  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 05/04/14 at 21:03:13

I have the river road next size up, we usually just strap it on with cinch straps and tie up the loose ends.

Tie a few knots in the ends and folks don't want to mess with sticking around to untie them.

We use the miniature master locks to fasten up the zippers.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 05/06/14 at 04:53:42

What I did:    

http://www.andruschak.net/savageriders.com/paladin/DSCN0334-2.MOV  http://www.andruschak.net/savageriders.com/paladin/DSCN0334-1.MOV  Original thread: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1177262289

I sold the Savage, but I still have the bracket.  Will give it away, free, within 50 miles, or you pay the shipping

WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #13 - 05/06/14 at 22:22:02

Paladin. wrote on 05/06/14 at 04:53:42:

I appreciate the offer, Paladin, but no thanks.  I think I'll stick with the mini cable lock.  Seems like a decent light deterrent.  The 6 ft python lock looks pretty promising so long as the cable isn't too bulky.  I could even run that through the arms of my jacket if I was so inclined.

Thanks for humoring me and brainstorming with me, guys.  I think I'll pop back in around a week or so with another question.  Still have to let this one stew a bit before I bring it out to the public.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:21:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Securing your luggage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.