Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Google Anywhere ....
05/03/14 at 13:03:28

Google has begun moving things around, breaking complete free standing apps off of Google Drive for the office type functions like Write and Sheet and Slide and prepping everything for voice controls AKA "OK Google" and full voice to text dictation/typing to go right along with it.

So, you can run Chrome Browser on your favorite toy  .... then you get an upgrade pushed to your machine like normally happens -- suddenly you got all of Google Chrome's functionality and soon enough all of Android's functionality too, since Android apps will be able to run on any platform inside Chrome Browser (inside a re-sizable window) soon.

Google Anywhere
.....    remember them words.

It might just mean "anything anywhere" if the dream is realized.

Microsoft can't block it because they are under anti-trust judgments right now that prevent them from blocking anybody's browser from running on a Windows machine.

What this is saying is that the browser IS the machine, and the OS is just how you light the browser.   Software is free and lives on the web.

Yup, functionally all HTML apps will be able to run anywhere and the internet server farms can power boost very light spec'd devices to be full service devices.

Expect this to land sometimes around when Windows 9 comes out, making Windows latest and greatest "elephant herding tool" another complete dud on arrival.

Google continues to move the tectonic plates of the computer world around, leaving stodgy old thinking in the dust or else buried under a sliding plate of change.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Google Anywhere ....
Reply #1 - 05/03/14 at 15:47:28

What's this mean,.. in English, OF?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/03/14 at 17:52:07

When Google gets done with the first pass later this year ..... as long as your busted up old piece of stuff will boot and load Chrome+  you can functionally do all the things a Chromebook can do, use all the web based stuff, talk to your XP machine (through a mic) and have it type the stuff you just dictated.

Going further out into the future, who knows -- universal web based computing, not really caring very much where you started from with the hardware part?

Google may eventually make the "which OS you use" issue sort of moot by the time they finish unifying all their various stuff with their web servers.

=====================

When the changes stop 2-3 years from now, Apple and Microsoft will either have to have kept up pretty much with the flow, or else they won't be relevant for very much.    It is going to move pretty fast.

Apple will keep up, or perhaps even do better than keep up.    

Microsoft, not so much.   People will start treating them like Count Chocula,  not really taken seriously (but still a blood sucker).

Intel is a dead man walking hardware wise and they just don't know it.  PC as a class is pretty dead right now and NONE of the new Bay Trails has any real edge over the new A57 generation of ARM chipsets for any light desktop or mobile uses.   Can't get close on real cost, can't get really all that close on the efficiency or battery life.    Can't even cheat on the benchmarks without getting caught any more.   Intel will shrink and lay off and shrink again .....

The Intel zombie won't finally lay down and stop moving until the bank account goes empty or the board of directors gets fed up with the tremendous "prop it all up" negative spending and pulls the plug.

ARM with the A17 has shown they listen to their foundry partners and their chip maker partners -- A17 has 90% of the benefits of 64 bit chipsets while sticking with the current world of 32 bit programs and being backwards and forward mixable.   Neat trick, that.

ARM will apparently design new classes of chips to match up year by year with what is available for a better, lower cost efficient foundry process flow -- still building in significant performance improvements over Intel as they go.

Intel still hasn't bit the bullet and rebuilt any of their existing foundry lines to do gates and circuit flow in the ARM fashion -- this is the next telling move they have to make to have a future past their current bank account's size.

Intel will have missed out on phones completely and totally by the end of 2015.   Personal wearables will be the thing they are missing out on right now, but they aren't paying attention to wearables right now anyway.

Too busy throwing fistfuls of money away ....

« Last Edit: 05/06/14 at 07:50:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/06/14 at 07:27:23

I have an iPad 2 of my very own now (the smaller 16 gig version, my wife has the 32 gig so it can live longer between getting crapped up).

I installed Google+ for iPad and indeed you do get voice functionality right along with it -- along with the full set of Google based services like Maps, Gmail, write, sheet and the others (you just hit applications at the bottom of the search screen).

Voice recognition comes with them, just give the Google+ permission to use the mike and the cell tower recognition system.   Then you can say "OK Google, find me a beef rib restaurant in Fayetteville" and it will, popping up a choices menu and a marked map of Fayetteville.  It can then give you driving instructions if you want.

Now, this is impressive because the iPad 2 does not have a GPS chip nor does it have any native voice recognition at all.

Google is indulging in a little technical one-upmanship here as iPad folks have been asking Apple for these things for YEARS now, and have been told to buy a new iPad Air to get them.

Google Anywhere is real and actually it has been DONE now for older iPads.

I can put cards on my Google search page that show the current weather and the time right down below the search bar.  This makes the search function page even more useful.

And did I mention the little "applications" touch button that opens into all the Google programs, just like it does on Chrome OS?

People are saying that Google version 32 and up are actually functionally Chrome OS because of these extra applications are there along with the voice and all the other goodies.

I don't care what they calls it, I likes it ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 05/06/14 at 07:34:30

LOL, reading your post and thinking about my glass and phone and having talk commands and all, I keep thinking about the star trek movie where scotty talks to the computer and then picks up the mouse and speaks into it....funny stuff.

But when you look at what we are doing now...we are not really that far off from the star trek version of the computer...except ours will not answer as well as the AI in star trek.....yet...

Wink

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 05/06/14 at 07:42:22

What is shocking to me is "talking to your stuff" is less than 3years old and it has gotten that good that quickly.

And I am amazed that Google put these capabilities into a product that does not have the hardware to do these things.

What is happening is that Google server processing power is triangulating the nearest 3 cell towers to get your location and the iPad 2 is just sending the raw voice stream to the server and the server is sending back the translated text.

What is even more amazing is that Google has an Oldfeller specific translator that is tweeked for my voice and intonations and whenever I speak something it uses my translator and everything works great.  

For example, my wife can't get my iPad voice commands to work very well at all because she doesn't use my voice.  

I need to get her a Gmail account set up so she cans start building her own voice stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 05/06/14 at 07:56:37

I had not realized that, I remember a couple years back that I had to "learn" a machine to catch my voice inflections and it still dictated stuff wrong (word processor).

My phone sometimes gets my texts wrong and I have to correct it, but it is getting more rare an instance each time I use it.

I still think wearable stuff will improve, but I don't like the watch thing because it is not total hands-free. I am liking the glass and have put it up for a bit because of the articles I have been reading about folks not liking "being recorded by some geek".  And some violent encounters that have happened because some silly tin hat folks think the NSA is using my glass while I am wearing it....crazy folks..

I am going to bring it with me to the meet and practice taking ride videos, first I have to go to a shop and see what a new pair of "google frame glasses" is going to cost me.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 05/06/14 at 10:04:36

...and this relates directly to our hobby of ridding bikes!

My new headset is Bluetooth and communicates to my andriod phone. The phone then has all the smarts to make the headset useful... radio, GPS, weather... oh and yeah phone.

I think if I had an iPhone.. and used siri, it would be even more functional.. but my old HTC, doesnt seem to good at google voice yet.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/06/14 at 14:02:59

Pine, you'd like to think that iPhone would work better than Android, but it is a mixed bag these days.

For me, Android is a fairly complete answer -- but it is more klunky and less polished.

Apple is cleaner, but less complete and it tends to dumb things down a bit so it becomes easy to find the "outer edges" of Apple stuff in a short time using it.

Google however is adding googlishiousness on top of Apple, adding ice cream on top of apple pie so to speak.

Plus it teases the hell out of an Apple lover for you to be talking to your iPad 2 then when they ask you about how you did it it you tell them it came out in the iOS 8.1 update you got last week.   When they protest, smile knowingly and say "Beta tester".

Smiley

Ever seen a fanatical Apple person begging anyone and everyone for an update that isn't out yet?

That when he finally does get the 8.1 update like a year from now, it won't do the trick anyway?

Apple people are used to feeling this way, plus they get to pay over twice as much for their new toys compared to Android people.

« Last Edit: 05/06/14 at 21:38:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:34:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Google Anywhere ....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.