Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhuast bolt holes on cylinder head stripped (Read 75 times)
Sej
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhuast bolt holes on cylinder head stripped
05/03/14 at 12:12:07

I'm looking to buy a Savage, and have found a pretty good deal on 2002 with low miles, but the current owner says the bolt holes in the cylinder head where the exhaust header mounts are stripped.  He's been riding it around with the header attached to the bike with a piece of wire to the frame.  I didn't notice if the header clamp was still present and just dangling or not.

Would it be possible to drill out the holes a few millimeters larger and then tap for the next metric size up (thread/length)?  What size are the stock bolts at that location?

Any problems I should be aware of on a bike that's been ridden like this for who knows how long? (aside from the likelihood of other stripped holes)

Thanks!

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: Exhuast bolt holes on cylinder head stripped
Reply #1 - 05/03/14 at 13:20:31

Can you fix it?  Sure.  You could tap it or put a helicoil in it.  However, that he's been driving it around like that makes me wonder what other shady maintenance he's done.

If it were me, I'd pass it up for another bike unless he prices it at or less than $1000.  IMHO

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #2 - 05/03/14 at 14:37:08

I would have a professional install "HeliCoils" into the holes instead of tapping to a larger size (larger size will create problems)

If the bolts have broken (leaving the holes filled) remove the head and have a professional extract the broken bolts

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Sej
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/04/14 at 14:43:53

The seller is asking for more, but I've talked him down to just about $1000.  The bike has less than 4k miles on it, so hopefully there hasn't been much (bad) maintenance done on it.

For reference, I found out that the bolt size is M8 x 35 (or at least that's what Bike Bandit claims).

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 05/04/14 at 15:14:41

Sej wrote on 05/04/14 at 14:43:53:
The seller is asking for more, but I've talked him down to just about $1000.  The bike has less than 4k miles on it, so hopefully there hasn't been much (bad) maintenance done on it.

For reference, I found out that the bolt size is M8 x 35 (or at least that's what Bike Bandit claims).

With less then 4K miles you probably can't go too wrong unless he absolutely thrashed the engine. He's not too far out of range for even normal maintenance intervals.  A 1,000.00 is a pretty darn good price.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:21:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhuast bolt holes on cylinder head stripped

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.