Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
sportster gas tak questions???? (Read 244 times)
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
sportster gas tak questions????
05/02/14 at 20:47:17

Hey, I have searched the forum high and low and not found what I am searching for.
I would eventually like to put a sportster style peanut tank in place of the stock tank, but I don't want it to be any more of a pain in the arse than it has to.

Can you guys tell me what fits best and what is the process?
Thanks

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: sportster gas tak questions????
Reply #1 - 05/02/14 at 21:01:10

Im not sure, but I Think Demin did that,.,Mite drop him a PM,, If he hasnt dont exactly that, I know he has done other than stock & he may be able to help..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #2 - 05/02/14 at 21:08:21

I know several people have done this. I've seen lots of pics. Not too many details on installation, tho. I think the older Sportster tanks, for 55-78 or some odd years. And I think theres some degree of engineering involved. This is all speculation tho, I'm still saving up for mine.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 05/02/14 at 22:12:41

I don't know of any, but I'd like to find a tank that we could put on pretty easily that held 4.5 gallons.  I suppose as long it fit in the rubber mounts and bolted down it would work.  You might have to hammer the bottom a good bit though.   Huh

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 05/02/14 at 22:15:28

Me? I cant imagine investing time & MUNNEEE so I could run out of gas faster..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #5 - 05/03/14 at 05:28:59

Man I've seen a ton of em. Well hopefully someone will step up to the plate with information at the least and if no one else does and provided I have some info I will do an install video once I get one.

I'd take a chance if I could find a tank for $10-20 but were talking more like $100-200

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 05/03/14 at 06:17:26

I found it in a thread called Next Suzi build.
It's an aftermarket Sportster tank.Any local ftermarket shop can get one.Or look in J&P Cycles or one of those companies.Unless you want to do backbone surgery on your frame,a Sporty tank is about all that will fit on.If you look at the pic of the purple frame,there is a bracket welded on right where the decomp solenoid goes(it still goes on..I hope)That is for the front mounts.There are a few different styles of mounting tanks.I liked this tank because of the indented scallops.
These tanks probably run around the $150.00 range,new.

Here is another one I did a few years ago.This is just a 70's style stock tank.On the front it has mounting tabs.I welded a connector nut to the top of the backbone and bolted it.The rear I cut the tab off the stock tank and welded it to the new tank.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #7 - 05/03/14 at 06:21:15

This one is a fairly easy install too.It comes with two straps you weld to the frame and then run bolts through them into tank.,It's rubber mounted.This tank is around a couple hundred dollars.

If you look towards the front of the tank,you can see the threaded bolt hole from the factory.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 05/03/14 at 06:25:46

Actually they hold almost as much gas as our stock tanks.They arte around 2.5 gallons.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/03/14 at 06:57:01

Close enuff,,

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #10 - 05/03/14 at 09:38:43

Thanks Demin that helps big time I was looking on flea bay and noticed a lot of the tanks had the petcocks on the right side so I know thats one thing to definitely be aware of
I love every single one of your builds, they are by far some of he best on here. I am surprised you haven't  raked a couple of them especially the purple one I think you said its an 89.

My hopes for my future build will be hard struts with an angle (Instead of stright up and down they have a 45 or 90 degree angle to them I think) like in your other thread. They really give it a hardtail appearence, raked front end preferably 40-45 degree with either 4 or 6 over stock depending on how I go with the rake and as mentioned here the sporty tank A MUST!!!! it totally gives the bike a bad ass stance.

something like this:

I also found the original savage gas tank and fairing stickers I want to add them to the sporty tank, talk about awesome!!! Heres a link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SZ-Savage-LS-650-decal-graphic-set-stickers-/13101940...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fairing-sticker-fit-for-Savage-LS-400-650-LS650-LS400...

I'm diggin this little peanut tank as well sort of hasving a hard time making my mind up between this and the sporty but 2.5 - 3.5 gallons does sound better than what I am sure this little guys holds

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #11 - 05/03/14 at 11:09:12

I like the tank like in the last pic.But not on our bikes.To me it has to sit on the backbone right.And that sticks up off of it.I don't rake out too many bikes,because where I'm at there is some good riding with tight turns.My Harley I have my pies and my primary ground down from laying it into corners.

Oh,and thank you for the compliment.

I have an XS 650 that I'm going to do with about a 6 over frontend.And a Voodoo Vintage back half.

IP Logged
kochic

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

st-jean-de-matha, qc
Reply #12 - 05/03/14 at 12:00:52

here is mine,
stock sporster tank, petcock on the left side.I made new mounts, you can see the front ones a little but the rear is hidden under the tank.
Marc

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #13 - 05/03/14 at 16:04:15

kochic wrote on 05/03/14 at 12:00:52:
here is mine,
stock sporster tank, petcock on the left side.I made new mounts, you can see the front ones a little but the rear is hidden under the tank.
Marc
http://i60.tinypic.com/6idtow.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2i7mujs.jpg

That looks incredible, nice job. That's exactly what I hope to do. What yr is the tank?

@ Demin : you definantly do one hell of a job making them look almost stock made for the bike. Any advice for not having to weld?

WWW   IP Logged
kochic

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

st-jean-de-matha, qc
Reply #14 - 05/04/14 at 05:16:10

Thanks,
the tank is a '98, same as this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-1996-2003-Sportster-883XL-Red-Pearl-M...
I used it because it was only 45$ and in very nice shape.
I can take better pics if you want.
You can mount it like this without welding, you can see how they do this here at around 3:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaDoycBlvJU
or here just scroll down a few pages.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ojTeFJPb-ScQYGyVq83YJhPyT1J5SSgPTkIrygJrNvs/
edit

Marc

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:32:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › sportster gas tak questions????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.