Send Topic Print
How deep is the hole (Read 164 times)
JunioRebel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How deep is the hole
05/01/14 at 11:12:14

So..Been searching through the forums for some answers to why the new to me 2009 Savage I purchased is acting up. It was bought about 3 weeks ago at 4500mi clean body no visible damage. Seemed pretty well kept so I bought it from the 2nd owner who said the wife was forcing him out of the new toy he bought back in October. Bike came with no manual or service records so considering the mileage I figured the most it needed was an oil change ,brakes maybe battery.

Well from the get go the bike had a iffy start. Took a little roll on the throttle to get her going.

On my first real ride a few days after purchasing it suddenly shut off going around 50-60mph after about 20mi and a hour or so of riding. I'm a noob and chalked it up to overheating of a single cylinder air cooled engine. After all it started right back up after a 10min rest. Got her home just fine.

Next the battery turned out to be bad a week later after getting a jump after a rainy day at work and it wouldn't start on the way home. Replaced the battery. Fitted it with some new connections, rubber casings and got it going back as a daily commute.

One day I didn't ride because it was suppose to rain and it didn't so I rushed home after work jumped on and took off for a nice ride in some near perfect weather. I mean who wouldn't

Abt 30minutes in I'm heading up a nice road with a slight hill at 65mph in 4th or 5th gear. Not even 10mi away from home and the bike cuts off and speed drops fast (the hill).

Pull over inspect for leakage ..nada..
engine hot?.. anh  feels warm.
Go to start... starts right up

Put it in gear... Dunp. It's back dead.

This happens whether shifting up or down. And I can't start in gear.
Read up on the issue and the kickstand switch seems fully functional. Realize my oil window looks empty (Wasn't before) so I get a tow home. (thought maybe the clutch plates are rubbing and oil is good for engines lol)

During the wait for the oil filter which was only available special order I oiled the kickstand switch up whuch didn't solve the problem.
At this point I no longer want to even let it idle in neutral until I change the oil.
I began emptying the oil and removing the front brake pads for replacement. I filled a 1.75Liter jug and a small coffee jug which is 2L give or take. I don't know why I couldn't see it in the window when in upright position.  

I drained the spill tube which was a little watery but nothing out of the ordinary.  I checked the air filter to find gas in the air box and covering the right bottom section of the filter.

That caused me to clean the carburetor which was clean overall but there was metal specs in the bottom float bowl. (Bad right?)

At this point I realize that there could be something wrong and decided to cut my lost and at least try to get it rolling in gear before shelling out cash on all the cool mods on this site.

Right now I am waiting on the raptor 660 and the oil filter. I have a jet set, kn 1290 cone filter and the breather filter in the cart. I wasn't sure if I should add those considering if the bikes a flop I'd get more on the trade in if it's stock.

I know the more details the better you guys can understand what's going on so that's my first month with this bike.

If you have any ideas on how to get this bike running  that'd be awesome. I paid 2700 for it and don't know if I'm willing to shell out for a new engine just yet.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: How deep is the hole
Reply #1 - 05/01/14 at 11:40:09

Quote:
On my first real ride a few days after purchasing it suddenly shut off going around 50-60mph after about 20mi and a hour or so of riding. I'm a noob and chalked it up to overheating of a single cylinder air cooled engine. After all it started right back up after a 10min rest. Got her home just fine.

Quote:
Abt 30minutes in I'm heading up a nice road with a slight hill at 65mph in 4th or 5th gear. Not even 10mi away from home and the bike cuts off and speed drops fast (the hill).

petcock
There are some links at the top of the RSD, goto "newbs" and "questions" threads and read up.

Quote:
Go to start... starts right up

Put it in gear... Dunp. It's back dead.

This happens whether shifting up or down. And I can't start in gear.
Read up on the issue and the kickstand switch seems fully functional.

Quite possible you have a bad kickstand switch.
By pass it by taking off seat, find a green connectors, disconnect it and stick a paperclip in one side.

WWW   IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 05/01/14 at 11:55:52

+1 petcock

The petcocks fail one of two ways. Either they leak, allowing gas to leak into the fuel line or the vacuum line thus flooding the carb/engine, or the vacuum diaphram gets stiff and shuts off the fuel under low-vacuum conditions.

I had the latter. The bike ran fine until sustained 60-65mph into a stiff headwind. Throttle response would get a little iffy, then the engine would just quit. Same symptoms as running out of gas. When it would happen, I could reach down and turn the petcock to prime. If I hadn't slowed to a stop yet, the engine would start firing again.  Turn back to "ON" and the same thing would happen again. I ended that trip just running on prime.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/01/14 at 12:01:15

You won't overheat the big single by riding it at 50-60 mph.....it can do that for days on end....as long as you keep good oil with plenty of ZDDP in the crankcase.

Needing a new battery on a used bike is common......happened to me on the last 3 bikes I bought.

Oiling the kickstand switch is not the issue.....it is most commonly a broken or pinched wire that makes them act up.

You can try bypassing your stock petcock and see if that helps.  Disconnect the vacuum line (one with the spring wrapped around it) and plug the nipple on the carb with a cap, then shove a golf tee in the vacuum line, and set the petcock on prime and go for a ride.  If the thing works...then you know the petcock is faulty.  If it still acts up, then you need to check the fuel flow.....mabye you have crap in the tank that has plugged up the filters and petcock.

Maybe this reading will help:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 05/01/14 at 18:14:36

Welcome, You are at the right place. I would kiill to have a bike with low mileage. Even with problems. Go slow and be patient. The "hole" on your bike is not deep, especially  after a littletime on this forum. My Savage quit after a couple of weeks and cranked back up after a few minutes. Serowbot put me onto the Raptor Petcock (Yamaha number 5LP 24500-01-00). That was 18,000 miles ago. I fixed the rubber plug leak, timing chain, and at over 25,000+ miles I rode over 150 miles last week on a spring day ride with never a thought of being stranded. I didn't understand all your problems, but there is a blue wire under the tank which can come unplugged and cause problems with the neutral cut out/crank/kickstand start. Happened to me, but my fault-not the bike. Anyway there are folks on here who know something about everything that can happen to our little bike. And they are conservative and methodical. They don't  recommend throwing money at it until it is new. Welcome to a great bunch of folks anda fun machine that can embarrass the competition. Boofer Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/01/14 at 18:50:29

My little trouble maker (2003 Savage) quite thoroughly handed a VN1500J it's butt this evening... and didn't get out of 3rd gear.  Grin And I run an upright windshield, stock muffler and fairly lean jetting.

Bypass the kickstand switch. Get a Raptor. Get a Verslavy. At 40K miles or so, get a new cam chain. Ride rinse repeat.

Yesterday afternoon I was ready to send both my Savages to the metal shredder, today, the 03 was fine. Some days are just like that. Have a beer, tweak the machine, and enjoy it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/01/14 at 20:45:47

5 years old, less than 5,000 miles,, heck,, its been neglected,,Yea, change oil,, change the GAS, drain the carb bowl, dont bother babying your new baby with premium, it doesnt need it or love ya more if ya pay the extra.
Toss Rotella T 15/40 in it, definitely ditch that petcock,, Slap a Raptor on it, The 2 most important mods are Raptor, for dependability, & the Verslavy, to keep the engine alive. Id pull the battery, check the water level, haul it to have it tested. If theres anything that makes me crazy its buying something & having a crappy battery in it,, Ive been known to replace a battery, just because I didnt know its history & it looked a little on the old side. I dont like walking home when I rode away,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JunioRebel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/01/14 at 21:29:18

verslagen1:

petcock
There are some links at the top of the RSD, goto "newbs" and "questions" threads and read up.

I already have the Raptor 660 on its way. I was all over this site before i actually joined and one of the most advocated mods was the petcock swap. Just waitin on shipping.

Quite possible you have a bad kickstand switch.
By pass it by taking off seat, find a green connectors, disconnect it and stick a paperclip in one side.

Going to have at it tomorrow and give you guys an update.

Dave & bobert_FSO:
that petcock seems notorious for causing issues so it was an easy decision to replace.

Thanks for the quick responses. Im glad this site is still up in running Cheesy

IP Logged
JunioRebel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/01/14 at 21:34:38

Thanks Boofer and WD. I started loving the bike so when it crapped out on a beautiful day during a great ride it hurt. I'll keep tinkering and get her back going. Thanks guys

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/02/14 at 03:11:14

JunioRebel wrote on 05/01/14 at 21:29:18:
Im glad this site is still up in running Cheesy

Uh Oh......Do you know something that we don't? Undecided

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JunioRebel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/02/14 at 16:20:33

Grin no just that most forums are slacking in the longevity column.

Good news the bypass worked! Got her in first gear with a modified stock petcock, fresh tank of gas, some seafoam and an oil change.
Bad news is something was burning on the right side of the bike in the vicinity of the oil filter. Seemed to be coming from the space in between the header and oil cover. Could this be the Polish, wax or spilled oil from cleaning and changing the filter? The smoke was white

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #11 - 05/02/14 at 18:14:43

Yeah, things spill in between the header and the clutch cover. You'll find out when you change the oil filter. (Hint: some members remove the exhaust to change the oil filter).
Does it smell like oil? Could also be road gravy burning. Air cooled motorcycles can emit a lot of different burning aromas depending on what what was kicked up from the road that day.

Oh, and welcome. You're not in hole...If you have running LS650, some basic hand tools, and found this site, you have wandered in to a gold mine of motorcycle wrenching awesome.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
JunioRebel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/02/14 at 18:25:00

Thanks. I'm planning to wash her down pretty good and all should be well

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 05/02/14 at 23:24:22

You've oil fouled the asbestos rope padding under the forward heat shield. Pretty much impossible not to... that oil filter housing, in conjunction with a guaranteed to fail rubber plug in the cylinder head top section, rubber cam caps that shrink as they heat cycle and age, a speedometer cable that sucks up oil like a fat kid sucks up a chocolate milkshake, a speedometer cable seal that is about as useful as month old run over dog droppings...

The Savage is an ancient Norton Manx-AJS-Triumph Cub- Royal Enfield-350/500 BSA hodge podge knock off. It is going to leak. You'll learn to actually like the smell of steamed hydrocarbons...  Smiley

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:34:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How deep is the hole

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.