Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice on sizing a windshield (Read 166 times)
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Advice on sizing a windshield
04/30/14 at 12:01:23

Hi Everyone.  I'm looking for your advice on sizing a windshield.  I measured from the top of the headlight to just under my nose, and the distance is 21".  Unfortunately the majority of the windshields I can find on line for a decent price are about 18" high.  Do you think an 18" windshield will be enough to direct the wind over my head, or will it cause the wind to hit me in the head (which might be worse than no shield at all).  I'm tall but not a giant ... just 6 feet, but I did do the seat lift mod that puts me a touch higher in the saddle. As always I sure am grateful for any advice.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Advice on sizing a windshield
Reply #1 - 04/30/14 at 14:11:30

Pretty hard to say, depends on your speed and how you have it set up.
And you don't have to set it on top of your headlight, you can raise it up a bit.

Having said that, what do you want out of your shield?
for me, southern California, I need air, lot's of it.
shoot the a/c don't work below 70 as is.   Wink
but no shield leases me battered and bruised.
I love my flyshield, plenty of air, yet the worst of it is off me.
it's a short screen, off the top of every shield is turbulence.
it's pretty thin... mine hits me at the shoulders... keep the turbulence off your helmet though or you'll feel like a bobble head doll.

BTW... plenty of advice on the subject... use search for windshield, change timeframe to all.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/30/14 at 14:27:40

+1 for me...

The general rule is the shield should come up to the tip of your nose...
For me,.. that's awful... I'm hyper-sensitive to the head buffeting,,,

I cut my shield down to 11"... it comes up to between collarbone and Adam's apple...
This gives full body protection, but keeps the buffet zone below my chin...

...I did ride a V-Star once, with a huge windshield that probably was higher than the top of my head... (I looked through it, instead of over it)... and it didn't buffet...
It ploughed through the air like a refrigerator box...
Nice... but too big...

Generally... 7" to 12" for body protection..
14" to 18" is tip of nose height.. recommended by "experts".. causes maximum buffeting...
20"+... is the flyin' fridge...
Undecided...

PS... if you ever need to cut down a shield,... an oscillating tool with a half-moon saw bit works really well...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 04/30/14 at 16:11:23

Quote:
Do you think an 18" windshield will be enough to direct the wind over my head, or will it cause the wind to hit me in the head..

I just went out and measured mine. It's 14 inches from the headlight cutout to the top. Keeps the air off my chest but not off my helmet. I'm only 5'6" though, if my shield was much taller I'd have to look through it instead of over it. Since you're over 6' an 18' shield might be similar.

Quote:
14" to 18" is tip of nose height.. recommended by "experts".. causes maximum buffeting...

I think that's pretty much right.

My shield is not uncomfortable. I prefer riding with it to riding without it. But my noggin knows it isn't riding in a car.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 04/30/14 at 22:01:47

ReTired Rider

Get one that you have to sit-up tall to see over and you'll never have a buffing problem ,  Memphis Slim 19" works good for me (5'11").    

and if it starts raining you have something to Duck-behind !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 04/30/14 at 23:18:03

I'm 6'2", run a 19 inch Memphis Shades Big Shot in VN800A brackets. 2 inch riser extensions with Harley Davidson FL touring handlebar. Stock seat, longer than stock shocks. I look over it if I'm sitting the bike properly, through it if I slouch a bit.

Memphis Shades does NOT list the Big Shot as fitting a Savage... it does, you just need to monkey with the brackets a bit...

Whatever windshield you buy, make sure it can be set to nearly vertical if not perfectly vertical. Angled back gives better fuel economy, but will wear you out fighting the head wobble.

For a 6 foot or taller rider, anything smaller is a waste of time, money and effort.

That little black bike with the shield and that handlebar feels like riding a 1958-64 DuoGlide Harley Davidson. Pretty much the same wheelbase as my 1957 FL rigid frame springer barhopper.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/01/14 at 07:10:39

Hi all

Just a quick word of thanks for the valuable advice.  This is very helpful information.

Honestly, as a newbie I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #7 - 05/11/14 at 17:46:36

I am also a newbie and I was wondering the same thing. I had to leave for job training about 2 weeks after buying my Savage. I miss it. Thanks for posting this question. Thanks to all who have posted responses. This helps a lot.

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 05/11/14 at 19:09:50

WD wrote:
"Whatever windshield you buy, make sure it can be set to nearly vertical if not perfectly vertical. Angled back gives better fuel economy, but will wear you out fighting the head wobble."
I am not sure what you mean by head wobble- I have my shield set at 45 deg with the top at nose level. It pushes the slip stream over my head. I see over it clearly, but have no buffeting to my head, and don't need a face shield.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 05/11/14 at 20:35:54

If I lay the shield back in the bracket all the way, my head bounces around like unpopped corn kernels in an air popper. With it rammed as far forward as the stock bracketry allows, much less head shake from the wind.

I do plan to extend the brackets and get the shield a bit more upright. Once Lisa's 800 Intruder is running, that shield will go back on it and I'll run a perfectly vertical small or medium police tombstone style on my bike.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thanks for the windshield advice
Reply #10 - 05/13/14 at 04:37:13

A couple of weeks ago I posted a message to the forum asking for advice on sizing a windshield.  Thanks to all the fantastic feedback, I settled on a National Cycle Dakota 4.5 millimeter windshield with a very light tint.  It's absolutely perfect for me. Took a bit of tweaking to get the angle and height just right, but what a difference now out on the highways.  

Just wanted to pass along this quick note of thanks to all who provided their thoughts.  This forum is great!!

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #11 - 05/13/14 at 07:16:29

enjoy  Wink

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Re: Thanks for the windshield advice
Reply #12 - 05/19/14 at 10:55:46

Thurston wrote on 05/13/14 at 04:37:13:
A couple of weeks ago I posted a message to the forum asking for advice on sizing a windshield.  Thanks to all the fantastic feedback, I settled on a National Cycle Dakota 4.5 millimeter windshield with a very light tint.  It's absolutely perfect for me. Took a bit of tweaking to get the angle and height just right, but what a difference now out on the highways.  

Just wanted to pass along this quick note of thanks to all who provided their thoughts.  This forum is great!!

Which mount kit did you use?  I can only find Dakota mount kits for Kawasaki and Honda at http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28073/i/cruiser-motorcycle-windshield-mo...

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/19/14 at 16:19:35

Hello IhasaBike

I'm in Canada and purchased the Dakota 4.5 mount kit from Canadasmotorcycle.ca.  Here's the link to the mounting kit

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/national-cycle-dakota-mount-kit.html

They guarantee that it will fit the Suzuki S-40 and they're true to their word.  It fits perfectly.

Good Luck

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #14 - 05/19/14 at 21:07:32

Thanks!   Smiley

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:23:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Advice on sizing a windshield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.