Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sealant on clutchcovergasket (Read 59 times)
Thomas Högberg

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vårgårda, Sweden
Sealant on clutchcovergasket
04/30/14 at 09:41:14

I have modified my camchain tensioner and are ready to put the cover back with a new papergasket.

should I use any sealant, and if so, on both sides of the gasket or just on special places?

/Thomas

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Sealant on clutchcovergasket
Reply #1 - 04/30/14 at 09:49:08

If the gasket is in good shape and not horribly brittle.....I would use it without sealant.  I might put a little sealant around the rubber plug where the neutral wire comes out at the bottom rear side.  The factory gasket has a bit of sealant at the oil passage to the head.....they must have believed that was necessary for some reason.  You need to be careful about applying sealant at the top just behind the cylinder, that is where the case makes a passage for oil  to flow to the head.  You get any sealant coming loose in there....and it could plug up the oil flow to the head.

If you feel you have to use a sealant......just apply a extremely thin smear of it......no reason to have it gooping out in globs....that looks really bad.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Thomas Högberg

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vårgårda, Sweden
Reply #2 - 04/30/14 at 09:58:02

Thanks Dave Smiley

The gasket is new so I will only use some at the neutral wire and just a tiny smear at the top then.

/Thomas

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/30/14 at 11:08:20

If it is a new Suzuki Gasket.....I would only apply a bit of sealant on the neutral wire rubber plug.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/02/14 at 09:31:24

I went w/o goop the last time I went in there. Just put some oil on it & slapped it in,, I had to tighten the little bolts all the way to their limit. I had a small leak, lower/front area & was able to get the end wrench in behind everything & snug them the rest of the wway. I didnt like having to go that tight on such tiny bolts & knowing the threads they screw into are so important. So, much as I like the "No Goop" idea, I like the idea of knowing it will seal off with a lighter touch on the bolts. I know, mine survived, but I know what a bolt feels like when it reaches its "Im TIGHT Now" spot. I dont like taking one ALL the way there. A $15.00 gasket & time cleaning is what IM working to save,, & what happens when I shaft myself by stripping the threads inside the case? I got away with it on mine, once, but I wouldnt do it again.
& Suzuki didnt spend huge sums to keep all the production equal, so MY case & bolts survived, will everyones? I dunno,, Take a run at it, but be careful.,Thankfully an 8 MM endwrench is short,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:15:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sealant on clutchcovergasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.