Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My first bike and my first project (Read 216 times)
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

My first bike and my first project
04/29/14 at 23:11:13

Hello, all.  I figured I should move from the introductions thread.  This is my new, and first, motorcycle; a 2001 LS650 that I bought for $400 from a guy that had let it sit, uncovered, in the parking lot at his apartments.  He said it sat for a year, but the registration sticker expired Jan '12.  

I got her running and moving using info from the forum.  I haven't had to ask a question yet, but when I do I'll do it under the appropriate topic.  Here I just wanted to offer up what I've done for the inspection and criticism of those more experienced than me.  I'm not even a motorcycle noob, yet, and I appreciate any suggestions or advice.  

Once I got it started and sat on it to ride around the parking lot a couple of times, I noticed the handlebars hit me in the knees when I turn.  There was a riser made of 2" steel pipe nipples from any hardware store.  I replaced those with 3" sockets and some longer bolts.

I wanted to bring the seat up a couple of inches, too.  I'm 6'3", and I feel like I'm squatting down on it.  I was only able to get about an inch above stock with some sway bar bushings and 45mm bolts from autozone.

I don't think I did that right.  I just wanted to raise the seat, not the tank.  I'll see if I can reconfigure it in the morning.

Before it's ready to ride I need to replace the intake boot/manifold thingy that has a crack in it, and the rear brake light cable that has rusted through and snapped right behind the knobby thing that clips into the brake pedal, and get some new mounts and bulbs for those front turn signals.  Someone got mad and kicked those because a derelict motorcycle was hogging a prime parking space for a year or two.  Once it's doing it's job getting me from A to B I can start thinking about longer shocks and higher handlebars and extended forward controls and putting a train horn on that thing.  The horn on it now sounds like the Roadrunner.  Meep-meep.

This seems to be as good a place to stop as any.

2001 Savage LS 650, capped Supertrapp exhaust, Raptor petcock, Spitfire windshield, raised seat, 3" socket riser, oversize handlebar, sealed battery, wip
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: My first bike and my first project
Reply #1 - 04/29/14 at 23:20:02

Not bad, move the lower set of urethane bushings to over the tank mount... smear a little RTV on the bottom of the tank mount to protect the paint. Just a thin wipe where the bolts go through, will help keep the paint from cracking. Or, set it on a piece of inner tube, same concept, no mess.

Oh, FYI, those are NOT stock handlebars for any year Savage/S40. You did good, especially if the previous owner installed them cleanly. That bar retails for well north of $100 on its own...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/29/14 at 23:41:21

& when youre ready for hittin the Big Road & need some kinda protection from the wind, youre gonna be able to save Money there, too,.,Looks to me like you could pretty well hide behind a 2X6,, mite need a LONG danged 2X6,,
Man, for $400.00, you stole that thing,, & anyone who can rip nipples off & replace them with sockets,, w/o help? Youre way ahead.
Now, whats the mileage on it? Gettin close to 15,000 miles is sure time for looking in on the cam chain.,
You got experience with solid lifters? These clacky dudes are solid lifters.
How does it run? Its not bad about backfiring is it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 04/30/14 at 00:02:52

I have a rough idea what a lifter is.  The bike has at least 22,000 miles on it, but the title says exempt and I don't know if the OD even works.  It doesn't backfire, really, but it does pop when it decelerates using engine drag.  I pulled out the spark plug and showed it to a mechanic.  It was slightly blackened at the end, but there was no buildup of carbon and he said it looked fine.  The guy I bought it from said he had a mechanic get it running, but he didn't know specifically what was done to it besides the wiring.

I can rip nipples off like a master nipple-ripper, but I'm not sure I'm ready to mess with cams or chains.  If I can get it road-worthy enough for a trip to Dallas (from Austin) a mechanic friend would love to help me out.

2001 Savage LS 650, capped Supertrapp exhaust, Raptor petcock, Spitfire windshield, raised seat, 3" socket riser, oversize handlebar, sealed battery, wip
  IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 04/30/14 at 03:26:18

Now I've got cam chains on the brain.  I read the threads and except for not having a torque wrench and not knowing what small snap ring pliers are (I probably don't have those either), I think I can get in there and check the chain.  I just put $36 worth of mobil 1 synthetic racing oil in there, though, and I don't want to dump it out right away.  I'll have to listen and feel for some rattling in the meantime, and when it's time for an oil change I'll get in there just to see what it looks like.  I haven't noticed any clanking or rattling from the crankcase, though.  Considering the pipe nipple riser, maybe a previous owner was a member of the forum.  I wouldn't be too surprised to see a Verslavy already in there.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/30/14 at 07:42:48

Can ya contact the previous owner & ask about the cam chain? It would just suck to see your new ride get tossed in the dumpster.. & thats pretty much what would happen if the cam chain tensioner spits its guts out. Unless youd be up for buying another engine for a $400.00 bike.

& YOuve most likely got Waaay the wrong oil in it now,,Theres nothing about these dinosaur design motors that will appreciate the oil youre using. $13.00/gallon Rotella -T, 15/40, theres the best cheap oil youll find. No Friction Modifiers to make a clutch slip. That Racing OIl is for engines that have a seperate transmission, this is a wet clutch, friction modifiers, Slick Crap in the oil, makes our clutches slip,.,Look on the jug the oil came in, Spending the most $$$ doesnt always guarantee having the best thing for the job,, works in lots of places, but not here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 04/30/14 at 15:28:41

The mobil 1 was the only oil on the recommended list that they had in the shop.  It's not getting any mileage put on it, so hopefully it'll survive having the wrong oil for a little while.  

The previous owner had less mechanical knowledge than I do.  He said a mechanic got it running for him, but didn't know specifically what was done and didn't have any records.  He said he'd only put 200 miles on it after his mechanic fixed it before parking it and leaving it.

I started her up and just listened to the motor for a little while this morning.  I'm not used to single-cylinder engines so I'll still want to consult an expert on whether it sounds normal, but it's idling smoothly and I don't hear any metal-on-metal clanking or grinding.  The crank case bolts have tool marks on them, so someone's been in there, at some point.  I just have no idea how long ago or what they did.  I want to get in there and have a look before I start riding it, but I also want to have it looked over by a professional.  I enjoy taking things apart to see how they work, but I'm not always so good with the putting back together.  

I think I want to rebuild or replace that carburetor, too.

IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Reply #7 - 04/30/14 at 20:44:54

Nice find for $400!  Would be even at twice the price!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 04/30/14 at 20:55:26

Sweet find! Yeah, bare minimum check out the cam chain tensioner before you go for any serious ride. That's a deal/engine breaker. I bought a used bike and decided to check it out and was about 1mm from a disaster.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/30/14 at 21:54:02

top of the RSD are a couple of stickied threads for newbs.
read them.

WWW   IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 04/30/14 at 23:50:27

Over and over and over.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 05/01/14 at 01:55:32

The supertrapp muffler is almost $400 alone

IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 05/01/14 at 02:50:06

I know, right?  I almost feel bad about it, but that thumping motor makes me feel better every time I crank it up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 05/01/14 at 06:46:01

Sounds like youre sharp enough to have a clue about the cam chain tensioner. Looking at bolt heads & knowing theyve been out is just basic Sherlocking & its good, & youre not hearin a slap,, & Someone did drop the $$ for a Trapp, all that would make me bet the chain is okay, for now, BUT, I wouldnt bet the motor on it, others Might, Im just not that guy. \KNowing what I know, I would Have to Look inside there.
That way you can see IF its actually okay,, if it is, kinda how much longer should it last? Its good to know what kinda life expectancy you have on the cam chain,

AS to oil. The wrong oils will make the clutch slip. They also dont have "The right stuff" for solid lifter applications. The oil they suggested is for modern designs. If its good for a hot rod, high performance engine, surely its good for this old lawnmower motor, right? I woulda thot so, but, as it works out, Nope,,

IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - 05/01/14 at 06:54:42

I think I'm going to google the owner previous to the guy I bought it from.  His name is on the title certificate, and he might be on facebook or something.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:33:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › My first bike and my first project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.