Send Topic Print
Fat Front tire? (Read 354 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fat Front tire?
Reply #15 - 04/30/14 at 07:50:43

Can ya see how the spokes are comin out well enough? Thats where it looks like a stock rear to me, I cant remember the lip,, if I want to remember lip, I give someone some,that way, they remember it too,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 04/30/14 at 09:37:55

Hey.....It looks like the stock rear rim does have a lip on it!

(My bike hasn't had a stock wheel rim for about 1.5 years.....I forgot what it looked like).

wDZJh0H.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #17 - 04/30/14 at 18:20:59

Michael L wrote on 04/29/14 at 22:40:11:
Hey S-P

Actually, it was the previous owner who did most of the work on this bike.. What he did was lacing a stock rear rim to the front hub -

Here's a link to both his bike, and project gallery of the bike - let me know if you are able to view the pictures, and if you have any questions, I can try and write him a message.

Ah! That makes sense... but it's also more work than I want to do for "looks". If it was just puttin' on a new tire, sure... but not if it means spending money I don't have and time I could be making money (self-employed).  Thanks for the reply, it made the decision a LOT easier!  Wink

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 04/30/14 at 23:38:44

Take a really close look at the 15" "front" rim's spokes... that's a big time failure in the making. The spoke nipples come through the rim just fine, but the spokes themselves are bent... stress point... going to snap...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 05/01/14 at 08:22:52

Yea, WD makes a fine osbervation there,,
Not even hard to see,, I was so focused on the rim itself, I missed it..

WD, anyone? Could that work if longer spokes were used & the lacing done to reach farther on around the hub? Or maybe drill out the rim some? Or both? But as is,, Snot a good lookin arrangement, at all..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 05/01/14 at 09:23:00

I have laced up 2 front wheels.....they are boogers.  Instead of having inside and outside spokes.....everything gets pushed in from the outside toward the inside.  On the rear wheel you can shove the inside spokes in first and lace them up with only half the spokes in place, and it is easy to move things around and not get in the way of anything.....then you push the other spokes toward the outside and there is nothing in the way.  On the front wheel everything goes in from the outside....and it is a pixie stick nightmare trying to get them in the right place.  I had to keep undoing and redoing spokes in order to add more.....I suppose there is a way to install them in sets of 4 and work your way around the wheel....and maybe on the next one I could figure that out.

Trying to move the spokes around on the hub to the next hole probably would not be possible....or you would have to start curving the spoke around the hub.  I think the best scenario is buy a 15" wheel that has the spoke holes punched at the correct angle for a spool type hub.

IMG_0355.JPG

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 05/01/14 at 20:39:15

Well,, I asked! Thanks, Dave,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 05/02/14 at 03:22:43

Call me old fashioned.....or just a bit of a nervous nelly.  I don't like screwing around with my wheels and trying to make something work that ends up with a less than perfect result.  I don't like making the spoke holes in my rim oval with a drill so I can change the spoke angle, and I don't like installing spokes at a bad angle and having the spokes forced into a small arc.

My wheels are one of the things that keeps me and the asphalt apart.  They are what tranfers the force of the motor or brakes to the rubber.  If you intend to just show the bike and not ride it out of the parking lot, then I guess durability is not an issue.

You might be able to find a 15" rim with 36 holes that was made for a bike with drum brakes that could work - or you have to spend $ 200 getting a new rim with the proper spoke angle, and spend another $100 for a custom spoke set.....and then either lace it up yourself or spend $ 100 with someone else to do it for you.  Changing rims on wheel hubs is a $ 300 - $ 400 process.......but if you want to be cool and safe....that is what it takes.

IMG_0368_001.JPG

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 05/02/14 at 09:22:19

Well,, you can be safe & still not be exactly cool, but ya cant be cool AND UNsafe.. cuz Unsafe just aint cool, man,,

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #24 - 05/02/14 at 09:42:12

Talking about the front wheel lacing - the other day I noticed that the spoke pattern on my front wheel looked asymetric? Like at some areas it looks different than on others - shouldn't the spoke pattern be even all the way around?

Unavngivet_004.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 05/02/14 at 09:49:08

Michael L wrote on 05/02/14 at 09:42:12:
Talking about the front wheel lacing - the other day I noticed that the spoke pattern on my front wheel looked asymetric? Like at some areas it looks different than on others - shouldn't the spoke pattern be even all the way around?

The spokes are in a pattern of 4's that repeats.  The gap between those sets is bigger than the gap within those sets.

Your drawing has 2 sets of 4 spokes in circle TWO.....then in circle ONE you are not staying within a 2 sets of 4.....but are including spokes from adjoining sets (2 spokes on the uphill and 2 spokes from the downhill set.
(Notice that you only have 6 spokes between your circles....you need 8).
There is nothing wrong with your wheel.....you are drawing your circles wrong.

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #26 - 05/02/14 at 10:10:44

But isn't it true, that the visual pattern aren't the same all the way around, compared to this wheel ? That's how I thought a laced wheel SHOULD look like, when laced correctly..

spokedwheel.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 05/02/14 at 10:40:04

Michael L wrote on 05/02/14 at 10:10:44:
But isn't it true, that the visual pattern aren't the same all the way around, compared to this wheel ? That's how I thought a laced wheel SHOULD look like, when laced correctly..

A large brake drum wheel hub moves the point where the spokes cross nearer to the midway point between the hub and rim.  On the disc brake wheel hub the place where the spokes cross is closer to the wheel hub.

It is something you are just going to have to accept.  The Savage has a drum rear brake and a disc front brake....the spoke patterns will not look identicle.

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #28 - 05/04/14 at 07:08:24

Think I get the picture now - thanks for clarifying!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:23:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fat Front tire?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.