Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Training "Wheels" (Read 168 times)
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Re: Training "Wheels"
Reply #15 - 04/30/14 at 20:44:16

Oh, yes.  An abundance of caution.  I'm old enough to be scared of dying, and I've been riding a bicycle long enough, almost exclusively for the last 7 years, that my head is used to swiveling and I'm accustomed to drivers actively trying to murder me.  I even insisted on wearing a helmet when I rode my buddy's Honda in the parking lot, because not a month ago one of his other friends broke a femur, several ribs, an orbit, a cheekbone, and his jaw test riding a 125cc dirt bike in a parking lot.  That guy was an experienced motorcyclist, just testing the bike to see if it worked, and 125 ccs smashed him like the Hulk.

2001 Savage LS 650, capped Supertrapp exhaust, Raptor petcock, Spitfire windshield, raised seat, 3" socket riser, oversize handlebar, sealed battery, wip
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Training "Wheels"
Reply #16 - 05/02/14 at 10:35:43

Dirt bikes come up "On the Pipe" w/o notice. They go from comfortable acceleration to "OHH Mu Gawd!" & when they do, its in the blink of an eye. Dirt tires arent safe on asphalt, either, so, an experienced rider, who isnt experienced on THAT model dirt bike & onasphalt is a disaster waiting to happen. Sounds like it didnt wait long. Disaster is often impatient.

All that said, people with experience on dirt bikes tend to not fall as much on street bikes. Your bicycle experience, IF youve ridden hard in turns & felt it slide & had to adjust your body position to save it, then youre already ahead. But, if you have a friend w/ a dirt bike & you can get some seat time & play a little "on the edge" in corners, youll learn how to shift your butt from side to side, working core muscles, & what to do with the handlebars. Ive felt mine slip in an intersection, you know, that kinda "No mans land" spot out in the middle of a big intersection,, Thats a great place to slip down on sand or pick up something for a flat,, I learned to not go thru those areas, right then, but the dirt bike experience kicked in. My butt shifted right, I turned right a hair, shoved down on the right peg & eased back enough on the gas so I wasnt accelerating, but wasnt slowing enough to make it want to throw me off to the right. Its not stuff ya have time to think about. Its gotta be reflex.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:35:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Training "Wheels"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.