Idle mix screw (Read 271 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Idle mix screw
Reply #15 - 05/01/14 at 08:18:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/01/14 at 07:17:07:
You say "Fires off" at shut down,, you talking Gunshot BANG or a good fart? Bang needs more playin with,, does it grumble & growl rolling to a top in gear? Does it backfire between gears? & is that a stock exhaust?

W/O the other ?s answered, giving advice is impossible.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
edison
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/01/14 at 08:32:29

If I can crash this thread.....I pulled the brass plug and did the 1/2 turn on the mixture screw as outlined in the tutorial but still get the gunshot bang on the shutdown (seems to run better otherwise though). Everything is still original stock......

IP Logged
SavageLooch92
YaBB Newbies

Ride It Like You
Stole It!

Nashua, NH
Reply #17 - 05/01/14 at 09:43:52

I have done the same thing - when i got this most recent savage the previous owner just straight piped it and god did it gargle and spit on deceleration and pop at shifting and shutoff..i had to play with it for a bit to get it tolerable for the neighborhood and will likely have to do it again when i install my SE.. but as others have previously posted, i have had no luck getting rid of the shutdown poot.. i have since tuned it to ride right and have kinda come around to the gunshot at the end of my rides  Grin

1997 Suzuki Savage 650 - Screamin' Eagle Pipe - Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #18 - 05/01/14 at 09:52:56

It took a combination of the air/mix screw adjustment and the white spacer mod to finally get rid of the shutdown pop for me. The spacer mod also improved performance in the mid range (pulled a little stronger).

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #19 - 05/01/14 at 10:17:03

old_rider wrote on 05/01/14 at 09:52:56:
It took a combination of the air/mix screw adjustment and the white spacer mod to finally get rid of the shutdown pop for me. The spacer mod also improved performance in the mid range (pulled a little stronger).

me too,
did the spacer and idle mixture same day, much better performance..

OP: adjust for best running, ignore shutdown "pop" (I like it)

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/01/14 at 12:52:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/01/14 at 08:18:14:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/01/14 at 07:17:07:
You say "Fires off" at shut down,, you talking Gunshot BANG or a good fart? Bang needs more playin with,, does it grumble & growl rolling to a top in gear? Does it backfire between gears? & is that a stock exhaust?

W/O the other ?s answered, giving advice is impossible.,

Its sounds like a gun shot on shut down. It runs fine and doesn't grumble on decel. No backfires on shifts...stock pipes....

I put the screw back to where it was factory...starting over...

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/01/14 at 15:42:02

OK so I did a half turn. Bang on shut down...

Did another half turn...and turned the idle screw back alittle because it was idling fast. No bang. No gurgle no problems... just a dog fart.

Added another 1/4 turn..no bang but gurgles and stuff on decel and shifting..

So I guess I got it. I don't see a difference in how it runs at an idle but it seems more powerful when moving

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 05/02/14 at 08:45:05

Sounds like ya nailed it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/02/14 at 12:40:52

Eh...the pop is back...seems to pop when it idles high....turn idle screw and close throttle...no pop...this things confusing and finicky

IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #24 - 05/02/14 at 14:05:42

Put a dyna muffler on it. After I cleaned my carb I put a dyna on, separate weekends, and the after fire has since gone away. I have an 88 so same carb jetting. Now all I get is a very mild dog "ruff" on shutdown.

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
PMo85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso,Tx
Reply #25 - 05/02/14 at 14:07:26

YoungSavage wrote on 05/02/14 at 14:05:42:
Put a dyna muffler on it. After I cleaned my carb I put a dyna on, separate weekends, and the after fire has since gone away. I have an 88 so same carb jetting. Now all I get is a very mild dog "ruff" on shutdown.

What jets are you running?

2013 S40, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plug, Motul 4T 300V Double Ester Oil 10W40, K&N Oil Filter, Dyna Muffler, 6 Sigma Jet Kit
  IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #26 - 05/02/14 at 22:08:58

I'm in Monterey California so about 30 feet elevation always pretty humid. Stock jets for the ''88 bs40 pretty sure 155 main and 55 pilot.  No spacer mod but will probably soon.

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:17:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle mix screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.