Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
replacement suggestions-front brake pads and tires (Read 109 times)
df0518
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles
replacement suggestions-front brake pads and tires
04/29/14 at 14:58:42

Can anyone recommend a good set of replacement brake pads and the recommended replacement tires? I am commuting 50 miles a day on a 2008 s40.
I would like ceramic brakes to keep the noise down. And a more modern set of tires than the stock ones would be good. Please include a link to them online if you can. Thanks.

2008 S40, Stock except for Dyna Muffler. Bought in 2012 with 6 miles on it.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: replacement suggestions-front brake pads and t
Reply #1 - 04/29/14 at 15:16:03

You're going to get lots of different suggestions I expect but I'll start:

Brakes: I've got a set of these:

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-brake-pads-shoes?m=147605#tabtop

Quiet, bike stops fine. They are organic,not ceramic so they may not last as long as pads made of harder material. I haven't had them on long enough to comment on that. I think ceramic or semi metallic pads are more likely to squeal though.

Tires: Shinko 712 front and rear.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/29/14 at 17:12:16

Brake pads.....get organic.  They are easy on the rotor, cheap, and they have good feel.  I bought the EBC brand.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/29/14 at 18:44:22

+1 on the EBC organic brake pads.  On my bike they were a big improvement over the stock brake pads.

There have been many good tire threads.  You put on a fair amount of miles so you would likely benefit from one of the better brands of tires like Metzler, Pirelli, and others.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
df0518
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles
Reply #4 - 04/29/14 at 20:44:18

Thanks guys. I will go with the organic ebc pads. I will go back through the tire threads.. but I remember there being a lot and I was just looking for some fresh suggestions.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/29/14 at 22:55:38

If youre putting 50 miles a day on it 5 days a week PLUS goofin off, havin fun AND running it,, what? Year round? 10 months?
1,075 miles/ month, just goin to work,,add your estimated RF&G miles
( RF&G = Running,farting & giggling)/month,,multiply by months /year you can ride like that.
The way Im lookin at it is, youre laying down enough miles to justify as classy a hunk of rubber as is available. Id look for the tire that gives the most miles, period. Ive run Dunlops that were reasonably priced, but only gave about 5,000 miles, but I didnt try to stretch them, I was playing, hard. Well, as hard as I dared, Im really sorry, but I just cant think of the names of the higher class, highway type tires. I know they cost more, but if you can get 8,000 miles or maybe 10, & NOT be payin someone to put a new tire on & not be down while its being done? Hey,, theres $30.00, at least around here.. Id pay $100.00 more for a tire that went twice as far. It would actually work out to be savings over time,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 04/29/14 at 23:12:38

Pirelli, Metzeler, Dunlop, Bridgestone. In that order if you want a decent service life and good traction. And go for touring spec if you can find them.

Shinko and related are fine if you can swap a tire at home. They don't last very long... 5-8K miles on Goldwing 1000/1100/1200 for the 230 Touring spec... would likely go 10K on a Savage.

Dunlops used to be great, I put 40K miles on a set of D404s and still had visible tread, on a much more powerful machine (dyno tested over 50 rear wheel horse power, not bad for 805ccs)...  I have heard a LOT of complaints since manufacturing switched from Japan and the USA to Taiwan and China.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/29/14 at 23:47:12

Ya know, I really cant remember just what I got on the Dunlops. I Think I went thru 2 of them, on the rear & I THINK I got 5 to 7,000 on them,.,I am sure I wasnt exactly excited by how long they lasted,, Nothing was ever as slick as that stock rear,,That thing felt scary in turns.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
df0518
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles
Reply #8 - 04/30/14 at 12:49:15

I will be putting a lot of miles on the bike so I want a good set of tires on it. My commute is 24 miles to work (and then 24 back). The first 12 miles are twisties through the canyons, the other 12 miles are hwy/streets along the ocean. I was thinking of getting the metzeler ME 880 140/80-15 - $137, but it looks like the 880 is being replaced with the 888, and I cant seem to find the front tire available in the right size for the 880 (190/90-19). The 888 does come in that size but they don't offer the rear in 140/80-15 at this time, I guess I could run a 880 on the rear and the 888 up front.
My other thought is the Pirelli MT66 Route but they dont have the stock rear available so I would need to go with either 130/90-15 or 140/90-15 - $90. The rear of the bike is all stock and I am 180lb. but I do put the wife on the back sometimes so I am a little worried about the larger tire rubbing.
If I went with the Pirelli, which do you think would be the better choice - 130/90 or 140/90?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/30/14 at 13:13:24

Hmmm... strange

if that's your choice, I'd go with the
ME888 100/90-19 & ME880 140/90-15
although I'd prefer the 888 on the rear and the 880 on the front for probably even life.

or go with the pirelli's

The taller aspect ratio on the rear corrects for a slightly off speedo.

the rear tire should give you 16 to 20k miles
not sure of the front, they usually give 2x life.

WWW   IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - 04/30/14 at 19:05:23

My 06 S40 is still on original stock tires. The bike had 3270 miles on it when I bought it last May and I just got the bike going again for the spring and I'm at almost 12 000 miles. The front tire still has plenty of tread left but the rear is due. I just received my Mezzlers on Monday, ordered from Canadasmotorcycle.ca, both tires and needed tubes for just over 400 dollars Canadian, including taxes (free shipping). As noted, I could only get the new 888 for the front tire and had to go with the 880 for the rear at this time. I must be in for a real treat once I get the new tires installed, because I've never noticed any riding issues with the stock tires. Did I just get lucky with my original tires?

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 04/30/14 at 19:09:12

P.S. In Ontario, Canada, we have an HST, a harmonized sales tax combining both provincial and federal taxes on almost everything we buy that runs a whopping 13 percent.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #12 - 05/01/14 at 10:32:36

I just installed a Dunlop K555 (140/80) on the rear and it is garbage!!
made in Indonesia and it is not round!!

I never stress the plies or "bead" when changing tires so it is the manufacturer who blew this one, no more Dunlops.

I don't know how some of you squeez-in the 140/90 because I could not get it to fit in there, what trick are you doing?

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 05/01/14 at 18:40:10

11" on center or taller shocks.

Although my 98 has the exact same 140/90-15 Cheng Shin on it now as a full modified that it wore as a stone stock platform. Seriously, the exact same 20K+ miles so far, less than $80 tire that was installed in 2000 or in 2001. And the thing still has 50% tread or more left...  Shocked

Some Savages they fit in with no problems, others they do not. Depends on the tire brand more than anything else. And run it at 40psi, it will be narrower than at the stock squishy recommendation.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:26:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › replacement suggestions-front brake pads and tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.