Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
That pesky white spacer mod again! (Read 122 times)
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

That pesky white spacer mod again!
04/28/14 at 12:57:45

Not to be trying, but I tried to remove that top "chrome dome" plate on my carb to do the white spacer mod, and even with an impact driver and good-fitting Phillips bit, the screws wouldn't budge. I bought the bike new, it's a 2012. I am reluctant to "use a bigger hammer" because the carb housing does not look to be all that sturdy. I sure don't want to break it. Does Zuki use loctite or something on them to prevent tinkering, or am I just wimpy? WD-40 did nothing. So what are your suggestions?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: That pesky white spacer mod again!
Reply #1 - 04/28/14 at 13:30:20

If the heads are screwed up, try a pair of vice grips to grab the head of the screw.    Go straight on, not sideways.  Mash a little set of flats on the screw head, then rotate while pressing in.

If that doesn't work, drill the heads off the screws, remove the plate then grab the nubs with the vice grips.

Needless to say, buy some allen wrench socket heads for replacement fasteners.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/28/14 at 14:04:21

HAPPYDAN wrote on 04/28/14 at 12:57:45:
Does Zuki use loctite or something on them to prevent tinkering, or am I just wimpy? WD-40 did nothing. So what are your suggestions?

Yes, they use zukilock designed to prevent Godzilla from removing the screws.

There are several options, muscle it, heat it, or pen oil.

atf and acetone (50/50) makes a good pen oil.

or muscle it with vise grips, not sure how oldfeller means... maybe if I explain it in a different way... I'd use like a wrench, not as a screwdriver.

and because it's on there with zukilock, don't drill it out.

WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/28/14 at 16:38:10

Vise Grips might do it and should not mess it up so much that you still can't try the impact driver.  If it were me, I would give the impact driver another try.  

When you tried the impact driver did you take the carb off the bike and place each corner of the carb, under the screw, on a block of wood when you struck the impact wrench.  They don't work well if the work is not solidly supported and if it is not solidly supported you also risk breaking the flange on the carb.  It is only pot metal.

The screws on a nearly new bike should come out with a moderate blow to the impact driver with a small hammer.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/28/14 at 17:29:05

Be careful with the impact driver on those screws.....several folks have broken a piece off the top of the carb trying to get them out with an impact.

I vote for the vise grip method.  Use a good quality pair, with nice square edges and hard metal.  I was at my uncles and tried to remove a damaged phillips head screw with a crappy pair of Chinese made ones, and the metal in the jaws deformed when clamped down and they just kept slipping off the screws.  A good pair of genuine Vice Grips took them out without a problem.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/29/14 at 10:22:23

Dave wrote on 04/28/14 at 17:29:05:
Be careful with the impact driver on those screws.....several folks have broken a piece off the top of the carb trying to get them out with an impact.

I vote for the vise grip method.  Use a good quality pair, with nice square edges and hard metal.  I was at my uncles and tried to remove a damaged phillips head screw with a crappy pair of Chinese made ones, and the metal in the jaws deformed when clamped down and they just kept slipping off the screws.  A good pair of genuine Vice Grips took them out without a problem.

Thanks, all. Nothing has been damaged to this point. I stopped hammering when I felt the potential for damage would occur with increased force. So if I understand this correctly, even tho the screws are not damaged at all, using vise grips and elbow grease will get them loose? Should the carb be removed from the bike first?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/29/14 at 10:27:40

Man, Ive got a hand held & I couldnt get MINE out & I used antisieze when I put them in,, I grabbed the 3/8ths impact & Violas,, out they came,,If ya dont have a bettery powered 1/4" impact, ya mite think about gettin a drill/impact setup. Im very happy with mine except for the keyless chuck on the drill. It takes more to clamp on the bits than my hands will do, so now Im using hex end bits, I have Craftsman, almost a year old, very pleased with the battery performance so far

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/29/14 at 10:28:43

engineer wrote on 04/28/14 at 16:38:10:
Vise Grips might do it and should not mess it up so much that you still can't try the impact driver.  If it were me, I would give the impact driver another try.  

When you tried the impact driver did you take the carb off the bike and place each corner of the carb, under the screw, on a block of wood when you struck the impact wrench.  They don't work well if the work is not solidly supported and if it is not solidly supported you also risk breaking the flange on the carb.  It is only pot metal.

The screws on a nearly new bike should come out with a moderate blow to the impact driver with a small hammer.

Your suggestion passes the "makes sense" test to me. The carb was still on the bike, and the intake boot was giving just a little, which might be enough to prevent the necessary shock to break the bond. Back to the work bench!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/29/14 at 10:36:48

OHH, Neaux! You Gottsta have the thing on the bench for sure if theyve never been out.. Its gonna soak up torque mounted in the rubber,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/29/14 at 10:38:10

I took mine out with vice grips...and had no mental issues with boogering them up.

I then took one of them, and a float bowl screw....and went to my hardware store and got a new set with allen heads.  Now they are easy to get out!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #10 - 04/29/14 at 21:54:50

I did mine two weeks ago with a manual impact driver and it worked great. Got it at harbor freight came with what seemed large Phillips heads, but they popped the screws out great. Might have been the person who owned before me not putting them back on like the factory though. Cheesy

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/29/14 at 22:43:45

& the one I got at HF came with a long, skinny tip that works Great for getting to the plate waaay down in there on the carb.2 little screws,,Pay attention, that thing cant be flipped over & work,
also, mine didnt really wanna play so nice. I took it apart & cleaned up the edges of the ramps inside it,,Then it started working a lot better..

OHH & yea,, I was wrong,, I DID put allens on the top, but didnt change the bowl bolts,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:31:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › That pesky white spacer mod again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.