Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I think I have a screw loose (Read 139 times)
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
I think I have a screw loose
04/28/14 at 12:52:46

I am planning on buying some JIS screwdrivers.  I'm looking at a set from Vessel(part# A-16510).   Have any of you used Vessel tools or another brand ?  Any comments regarding JIS screws/tools welcomed            

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: I think I have a screw loose
Reply #1 - 04/28/14 at 13:01:10

I don't have any advice on JIS, so far I've been able to make do with judicious use of phillips but I don't want you to be butthurt, so I'll reply Grin

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 04/28/14 at 14:11:44

I bought a set of three- a #2 regular, a#2 long, and a #1 regular. I found they work much better than standard Philips with loosening over tight or locktighted screws. You can put some serious torque on them without stripping the heads.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/28/14 at 14:13:51

No experience with JIS tools myself, most of my hand tools are Craftsman or Kobalt.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/28/14 at 14:35:25

JIS is a Japanese standard for the screwdriver tips, slightly different from Phillips... nothing that a whack on the end of the particular driver and 10# sledge wouldn't cure.

There are a number of links

try searching for "JIS" by digger.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 04/28/14 at 22:22:46

The $20 blue tool kit from Walmart has JIS bits in it, as well as allen wrenches, combination wrenches, sockets and drivers for 3/8 and 1/4 in metric and SAE...

For a cheapy Chicom tool kit, the stuff actually works fine...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 04/29/14 at 06:57:21

Actually I thought about buying some myself... but after a few days search on the net I got fed up with the prices.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/29/14 at 07:13:32

& My approach? I stick a #2 Philips on a grinder & flatten the tip till it fills the X of the screw head. I do that to replaceable tips a lot more than my every day screwdrivers.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/29/14 at 10:27:13

My#3 screwdriver seems to work on the large screws fine.  For the mid sized ones I have a screwdriver handle that accepts the #2 bits - and I have just ground off a bit of the tip.  Haven't figured out what to do with the smaller screws.....my #1 phillips does tend to deform the slots in the screw head.

I guess I should buy some JIS drivers as well......I do plan on working on these things for a while longer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/29/14 at 10:32:23

I would expect a #1 with a lopped off tip would fit the smaller screw heads.. Same for all the smaller sizes, find the smaller Philips, grind.. Unless finding & buying JIS is better for you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Reply #10 - 04/29/14 at 22:55:28

The right tool for the job.  That said, if you think you'll use them enough to justify the price, then by all means they're worth having on hand.  I second what WD said about the cheap tools from WalMart.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 04/30/14 at 07:36:08

IMHO - the JIS is a better standard/design... WTH is wrong with SAE engineers that they would do it that way!

That said.. I just replaced 8 JIS #2 stainless screws with 8 Stainless hex screws on the windshield of my Silverado.  The replacement ( which are VERY nice, were over $4 each. The funny thing is, the rest of the bike is MOSTLY hex screws.. so switching actually brings the "look" more in line with the rest of the bike. The downside is that the phillips head screws were much broader for more substantial look.  

I know on the Savage that WD now has, I replaced several/many non-stainless screws ( that also seemed worn or soft) with new stainless counterparts. I also (as I tend to do) used nylon washers between the screw head and painted panels. being these are bike I also believe in blue threadlock and lock washers if they will work.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 04/30/14 at 07:40:09

Where di you go to pay $4.00 for a SCREW? Man, hit the yellow pages, go for a ride in the industrial part of town, FIND a place that sells fasteners.. I bought a 36" piece of 3/8 all thread, stainless steel for $4.00..

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #13 - 04/30/14 at 07:49:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/30/14 at 07:40:09:
Where di you go to pay $4.00 for a SCREW? Man, hit the yellow pages, go for a ride in the industrial part of town, FIND a place that sells fasteners.. I bought a 36" piece of 3/8 all thread, stainless steel for $4.00..

umm I didn't thats was the dealership needed to replace the two missing screws. I replaced ALL the screws but at about $1 per and $1.5 per SS acorn nut! ( still expensive)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 04/30/14 at 08:12:06

Seriously, before that "next project" & you know there'll be another reason to buy nuts & bolts, go find the place that sells to mechanic shops & the folks who put up steel buildings, etc.. When I lived in Odessa Tx I worked at the Ford body shop. I got handed the job of replacing the frame on 2 F 150s. Until then I had no idea about going into a shop that sells threaded fasteners ( use that in the search terms).
I walked in, talked to a guy, he helped me decide what I needed. We decided on Grade 8 & I never had one come back with squeaks & rattles.I did 2 of them, Huge Pain in the rear,,but fun, too,,
anyway, its rare I go to a hardware store for nuts & bolts. I have a fair selection at home & when I run short I go spend $20.00 or so & get a selection of stuff,,The guy gives me contractor rates,, YES, they have a book. Not everyone pays the same in those places. Look for the friendliest face & BE NICE.. Ya got Walk in, Regular customer, & maybe a coupla other Pay Rates. The $4.00 SS all thread I got would probably have been 10 if someone else sold it to me,
I need to get over there & lay hands on some more O that stuff,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:30:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › I think I have a screw loose

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.