darn password..... (Read 68 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
darn password.....
04/26/14 at 18:38:12

With all the INTERNET stuff nowadays, I keep forgetting my passwords, as I use a different one for each site, don't know why, it just happened....
So I thought I would start afresh, changing them to a common word I would never forget. I racked my brain for a perfect word that was dear to me and one I could always remember, mypenis.
Heck, thinking I found the perfect password I entered it here at SuzukiSavage.com, and I get this prompt, "Not long enough" darn  Embarrassed

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: darn password.....
Reply #1 - 04/26/14 at 19:47:33

Former network security dude here.

DON'T use a common password on all your accounts. If one site gets compromised, it is too easy to compromise your other accounts, especially if the login username for multiple accounts is your email address.

Use a password safe application, sometimes called a password wallet. It is a passworded application in which you put all your other account usernames and passwords.

I use one named KEEPASS. I know there are versions for Windows, Linux and iphone. I have copies of it on my desk PC, laptop, iphone. When I make changes, I do have to copy the updated file to my other devices. I generally just email it to myself, then log into email from all my devices and copy the file to each device so it is available for reference on whatever device I am using. I also have the application on a thumb drive, that I carry when traveling. Additionally, I put the application and data file on a thumb drive that goes into my bank safety deposit box, along with a sheet of paper with the password.  This is case something happens to me or catastrophic fire or something. DON'T forget the KEEPASS password or the data files become worthless.

There are some others that are cloud based, if you trust the cloud thing.

I know iphones include password bank application. However, I haven't researched it, since I also want access from my PCs.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 04/26/14 at 19:53:53

Yeah.... but I DO have the perfect one... "mybigpenis"  works for me.

I keep a text file on my computer that has all my sites and passwords in it.
When I log onto a site I go to the password file copy the password and paste it into the site, that way no "keyclick" worm can figure it out as I am not typing the word in.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/26/14 at 20:14:34

bobert_FSO wrote on 04/26/14 at 19:47:33:
Use a password safe application, sometimes called a password wallet. It is a passworded application in which you put all your other account usernames and passwords.

I don't trust programs written by some unknown person.

That's all you'd need, some trojan sending your passwords straight to a hacker.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 04/26/14 at 21:29:40

Name of your first pet, deceased close relatives birthdays, part brands of cars familiar to you, if possible put # @ % & * type thingys in. Stuff form eccentric interests you have.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 04/26/14 at 21:35:45

jcstokes wrote on 04/26/14 at 21:29:40:
Name of your first pet, deceased close relatives birthdays, part brands of cars familiar to you, if possible put # @ % & * type thingys in. Stuff form eccentric interests you have.

I heard on a computer show recently that a 15 letter password is the optimum. At that many letters the permutations are astronomical. You can toss in a symbol or number for good measure. Short passwords even with symbols are breakable easily.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/26/14 at 21:57:09

old_rider wrote on 04/26/14 at 19:53:53:
"mybigpenis"  works for me.

me too, but has gotten me into plenty of trouble too.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 04/26/14 at 22:55:13

Firstly, sorry about yerpenis not being long enough... Grin...
Secondly,... renaming "yerpenis",.. yerbigpenis"... probably won't make it any longer...
Huh...

If you want to be sure... just make yer' password, "Serowspenis"... Wink...
Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 04/27/14 at 07:40:38

Serowbot wrote on 04/26/14 at 22:55:13:
Secondly,... renaming "yerpenis",.. yerbigpenis"... probably won't make it any longer...
Huh...

Grin Grin Grin...

Ok, great advice on working my bike, +1.

Tried the password you suggested. Still did not work, and now I am getting all sorts of Gay spam, -2.

You owe me 1   Cheesy

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #9 - 04/27/14 at 08:57:28

raydawg wrote on 04/27/14 at 07:40:38:
Serowbot wrote on 04/26/14 at 22:55:13:
Huh...

Grin Grin Grin...

Ok, great advice on working my bike, +1.

Tried the password you suggested. Still did not work, and now I am getting all sorts of Gay spam, -2.

You owe me 1   Cheesy

Not to mention ya still gotta worry about them pesky "Trojans" Shocked Grin

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 04/28/14 at 07:13:39

I use keepass as well. But instead of fussing with multple copies of it on different PC's .. I use a thumb drive. Then I keep backups of the thumbdrive.

Its pretty hard to beat keepass and its functionality.

One other little trick I use for a password. My childhood phone number with either a letter prefix or suffix ( and no not your initials). I stumbled on this when I found my childhood ID bracelet. Considering the number is from 1969, and was in a state over 3000 miles away. I feel pretty confident its not hackable.  

Keepass on the otherhand can create a 32 character password of random stuff. Of course you can't remember it so you then just use Keepass to remember it for you. It can also do lots of other tricks like create a random password over time ( every week) and of course it stores the password for you. That way even YOU don't know password, only Keepass does. I have my TD Ameritrade account locked like that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:36:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › darn password.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.